Never snorkeled..

Jon61

but always heard people talking about how fun it is. I grew up on and currently live on a lake, so I am comfortable in the water. My concern is running into jellyfish, getting stung, having an allergic reaction and having my cruise ruined. Thinking of snorkeling on Co Co Cay but don't wanna bother if I won't see much and there will be 1000 people out there. Plus the jellyfish thing. And advice? Very appreciated.

You can wear a lycra dive skin which will help. How much you see snorkeling is often up to you. How much you are willing to swim down and get close to things. You won't see nearly as much just floating on the surface.

Or a rash guard shirt. I find it keeps the little stingy guys away while providing some warmth and UV protection.

You'll find them in dive shops and some sporting goods stores like Sports Authority.

There's even a loose fit shirt. Some of us need that.:p

Examples:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=rash&origkw=rash+&sr=1

http://www.isnorkel.com/category/73/Mens-loose-fit-sun-shirts

but always heard people talking about how fun it is. I grew up on and currently live on a lake, so I am comfortable in the water. My concern is running into jellyfish, getting stung, having an allergic reaction and having my cruise ruined. Thinking of snorkeling on Co Co Cay but don't wanna bother if I won't see much and there will be 1000 people out there. Plus the jellyfish thing. And advice? Very appreciated.

The snorkeling is excellent at CoCo Cay. The whole time I was there, I did see one jelly fish in plenty of time to avoid it. BTW, my daughter was at the next door island (you can see it) on a Norwegian cruise a couple of weeks ago and swam into a couple of Manatees while shooting video. I think if you search this forum I posted a link to the video a couple of weeks ago.

• 1 month later...

The shirt will also protect your back from the sun. When you're snorkeling too long you can get a bad sunburn on shoulders and calves... (yes, from experience...).

If you can swim and feel comfortable in the water you will get the hang of snorkeling quickly.

Well, I haven't been stung in the Caribbean yet. But I have had two encounters with jellyfish in the baltic sea. Right on my face (the only place not covered by my suit...) In the water it was ok, only after the dive it became uncomfortable. After treating it with vinegar for half an hour it was more or less ok. During the dive it was no problem.

But caribbean jellyfish might have different poinson!

Keep a small bottle of vinegar with you as first aid (the acid will decompose the protein that causes the pain) and don't rub / scratch the sting - this will only make it worse (it breaks the small capsules, that contain the jellyfish poison).

Bottom line, just go snorkeling, keep an eye out for the big ones and otherwise be fine and enjoy the water! :)

Archived