Having a hard time finding something we like!!

trouble1964

Please help with suggestions!

Neither of us know how to snorkel. We don't care about ziplining, and aren't really interested in the ruins or cave tubing. Walking a long way is an issue, and DH doesn't like to sit on a beach because he gets bored. He is also apprehensive about booking excursions that are not done thru NCL.

Besides riding the train in Belize, what can we do?

We are also going to Costa Maya, Roatan, and Cozumel.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If you are not interested in the beach, cave tubing, ziplining, or the ruins, that's pretty much everything that everyone seems to do here. I wouldn't dare go walking outside the gates here. It's pretty darn scary and not advised "by most" on these boards.

Also take in to account that this is a tender port. So you will have to board a tender boat in order to even get off the ship and about a 20-30 minute boat ride (depending on the weather and water that day) to get to the port. While the port is your typical "catering to the cruise ship passenger port", there was mostly shops there that we noticed. Nothing really worth getting off the ship if we wasn't planning on doing anything. :)

We are in a similar situation so we are doing the Airboat Excursion Carnival offers. Not sure if NCL offers this or not.

Just got back today and did the NCL sponsored airboat excursion. It was done through Chukka. It was great, until the boat lost its steering as we were trying to get through a small cut in the mangroves at a high rate of speed. Nobody was hurt, thankfully, but I was kind of spooked when the guide informed us that this was the second time during the same day that this particular airboat lost steering! :eek: They had 4 boats in all and had to send another to rescue us. I thought it was great fun up to that point, but the more I think about it, the less comfortable about it I am. Thankfully it was a ship sponsored excursion because they had to hold the ship for us. We'd have been left behind if it wasn't!

Sorry to hear about your experience! But, I am glad to hear it was thrilling until the steering issue. Hopefully, our excursion will be uneventful.

One of the reasons we are taking a ship sponsored excursion in Belize. Been there once and only shopped the port area for a few hours. Not a port I would want to be left waving goodbye to the ship from. :(

Sorry to hear about your experience! But, I am glad to hear it was thrilling until the steering issue. Hopefully, our excursion will be uneventful.

One of the reasons we are taking a ship sponsored excursion in Belize. Been there once and only shopped the port area for a few hours. Not a port I would want to be left waving goodbye to the ship from. :(

I hope your excursion is uneventful as well. Keep in mind that when the boat turns it is possible that you will get wet, and so might anything you bought in the Tourism Village. It wasn't a huge deal for me, but it was for some others! You aren't allowed to leave your bags on the bus or at the dock.

No...A night in Belize City didn't sound fun to me, either! There were a few people on the excursion who were totally stressed because they didn't really believe that NCL would hold the ship, but we were quickly rushed to a waiting tender...which had been loaded with the signage and table used in the Tourism Village by the cruise line...It felt like they'd rolled up the sidewalks and packed them into the tender! LOL

Please help with suggestions!

Neither of us know how to snorkel. We don't care about ziplining, and aren't really interested in the ruins or cave tubing. Walking a long way is an issue, and DH doesn't like to sit on a beach because he gets bored. He is also apprehensive about booking excursions that are not done thru NCL.

Besides riding the train in Belize, what can we do?

We are also going to Costa Maya, Roatan, and Cozumel.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

This year will be my second time stopping at Belize. My family has trouble finding an excursion that we want to do there so we will just go into the port and walk around, same as we did last year. There are a few shops and resturants right at the port so you can get off the ship for a little while then head back to the ship whenever you want to.

Peter Herrera, a local guide, picked us up at the port. He drove us to Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary, stopping all along the way to see many gorgeous birds and other wildlife. Peter was so amazing at spotting we called him "eagle eye"

His knowledge of the area and about wildlife and plants was impressive and his personality was warm and friendly making for a thoroughly enjoyable day. We saw an amazing variety of birds-- much more than I ever imagined. (We found Peter through the Audubon Society).

He can be reached by email at belizebirdnerd@yahoo.com.

If you want something outdoors, fun and different this is it. It was the highlight excursion of our cruise. He was careful to get us back to port with plenty of time before the last tender.

When I was there in November I did the ATV excursion through cave-tubing.biz (I think) since I didn't want to do a beach or cave tubing. It was different and fun. Something to do. The only problem was it was about an hour and 15 min ride to get to the ATV site. One of the main reason I probably wouldn't go back to Belize. All the excursions are at least an hour away :(

Archived