Princess boat tour in fairbanks

aprilsp88

Hi,

Included in the Princess cruisetour is the river boat tour in fairbanks. Is it worth taking? Is it a very "commercialized" tour, or a tour to explore the natual beauty of fairbanks? Which tour company do they use?

Debating to either take this boat tour, or get an independent boat tour from elsewhere, or go to the pole.

Thanks,

April

Princess uses the Riverboat Discovery for their Chena River tour in Fairbanks. Not only does Princess use the Discovery, every other cruise line and motor coach tours also uses them.

The Discovery is locally owned by the Binkley family and has been in business in Fairbanks for over sixty years. They have three sternwheelers, but most tours are done on Discovery II and Discovery III. Both of these sternwheelers seat several hundred people. After leaving the dock, there will be a float plane demonstration followed by a live narrated tour as the sternwheeler goes down the Chena to the mouth of the Tanana. Near the mouth of the Tanana there will be a pause by Susan Butcher's dog lot (you don't get off the Discovery) with either Susan's husband Dave Monson or one of their employees discussing the training of an Iditarod team. The Discovery will then proceed back up the Chena and dock at a replica of an Athabascan community. Here passengers disembark, and attend three stations where Athabascan lifestyle and culture are discussed. After about an hour on shore it is back on to whichever Discovery you are on and the sternwheeler chugs back up the Chena to the dock. It is actually very well done and every out of town visitor we have ever taken on the Discovery has enjoyed it.

The Sternwheeler Tanana Chief does evening dinner cruises and some Sunday brunch cruises. We love the Tanana Chief and each summer go several times, but it really isn't a tour in the sense that there is any narration. It is a floating restaurant with an excellent prime rib and salmon buffet. One of the best catering companies in Fairbanks (Premier Catering) built the Tanana Chief to give themselves a summer venue. The Tanana Chief is a replica of the original Tanana Chief, which was a boat which came into Fairbanks. The original Tanana Chief appears in a number of the photos of the Chena River waterfront taken in the early 1900s.

By the comment "go to the pole" do you mean the community of North Pole, which is about twelve miles away from Fairbanks? The Santa Claus House there is extremely commercialized, and in my humble opinion, a "tourist trap" type of store.

It is a good tour, a point- this is already purchased and paid for with cruisetours. No refunds that I know of? As for going independent, I've only done so, with a coupon.

Alternatively- if you mean by "pole" the Arctic Circle- that could be a far superior selection vs the Chena River boat.

North Pole- is extremely commericalized- a gift shop. Not usually worth a special trip- but for kids, sending postcards would, probably be enjoyed.

By "Pole" I mean arctic circle.

Hello April: I am sorry but I haven't heard the Arctic Circle referred to as the "pole" but then again the sign on the Dalton Hwy. marking the site of the Arctic Circle does have that pole quality.

Some tourists like to just fly over the Arctic Circle to say they have been that far north, while others like to drive up to it along the Dalton Hwy. Since most car rental agencies prohibit their cars from driving the Dalton many tourists use a tour company. Northern Alaska Tour Company is very reputable, and their website may be of interest (http://www.northernalaska.com). The scenery along much of the Dalton is very scenic with numerous wildlife viewing opportunities. The TV show "Iceroad Truckers" (Is that the correct name? I've never watched it!) is filmed on the Dalton.

By "Pole" I mean arctic circle.

Budget Queen, can you explain why would you choose arctic circle?

Thanks!

I have been above the Arctic circle many times. I like the flights and area. I have gone with the above tour company three times and highly recommend them. A tour I would encourage most people to stay away from is the all day road trip, round trip Coldfoot. First, this is not a significant scenic area- probably 2/3's of the scenery is burned trees. There is a sign marking the Arctic Circle. This may be a priority for some people- but it's a 15 minute stop, out of all those hours and hours. Far superior is the fly/road combo trip- Pay the money and go with this instead, of the "cheaper" road trip. Simply grueling. I enjoy flying and have gone on some fantastic cargo flights. The Arctic Circle "tours" that are sold, I think lacking, since some of the areas are hardly worth flying to.

Some tourists like to just fly over the Arctic Circle to say they have been that far north, while others like to drive up to it along the Dalton Hwy. Since most car rental agencies prohibit their cars from driving the Dalton many tourists use a tour company. Northern Alaska Tour Company is very reputable, and their website may be of interest (http://www.northernalaska.com). The scenery along much of the Dalton is very scenic with numerous wildlife viewing opportunities. The TV show "Iceroad Truckers" (Is that the correct name? I've never watched it!) is filmed on the Dalton.

I disagree on the wildlife and scenery comments. This is significantly better on the multi day trips. So so at best on the day trips. Round trip Coldfoot- is miles and miles of burned forrests. Yes a 20/30 minute stop at Finger Mt, and the Arctic Circle, Yukon River, is minimal compared to the hours and hours on the road.

The dramatic events and scenery with the Ice Road Truckers- is mainly way north of Coldfoot.

That's why I loved the exotic explorer Princess cruise tour- yes you stop at the arctic circle (basically a line on the map), finger rock, the Yukon River,and Coldfoot and then you go through the Brooks Range to Deadhorse,at Prudhoe Bay. You actually get to the Arctic Ocean! The wild herds of muskox, the Arctic Ocean, yes this vacation was pricey, but I will never regret spending the money. We had a wonderful time, were well treated and saw things that we never thought we'd see. Research all the possibilities. Ask questions on these boards. If you are spending thousands, check to see what you'd get for a little more. We mixed the cruise tour with a few private excursions. Plan the trip of a lifetime and you will probably want to go back again.

That's why I loved the exotic explorer Princess cruise tour- yes you stop at the arctic circle (basically a line on the map), finger rock, the Yukon River,and Coldfoot and then you go through the Brooks Range to Deadhorse,at Prudhoe Bay. You actually get to the Arctic Ocean! The wild herds of muskox, the Arctic Ocean, yes this vacation was pricey, but I will never regret spending the money. We had a wonderful time, were well treated and saw things that we never thought we'd see. Research all the possibilities. Ask questions on these boards. If you are spending thousands, check to see what you'd get for a little more. We mixed the cruise tour with a few private excursions. Plan the trip of a lifetime and you will probably want to go back again.

An alternative is also going independent with Northern Alaska (significant- this is the operator, avoid booking this through a booking agent), which I did. Advantage was using a van, which allows more ad lib stops and a private guide. I also stayed outside the "tourist" lodge, which was big and busy.

Archived