St. John

bostonlass

I have been to St. Thomas many times as a young kid and a few as an adult, so I really have no interest in going again. I have never, however, gone to St. John's and would love any recommendations.

I wear glasses and cannot wear contacts so snorkeling is out. I guess I"m looking for a nice beach with nice facilities/snack bars/music, etc. Any ideas?

Princess Caribbean 10/16/04

Disney Wonder 04/18/04

Carnival Carnivale 05/88

Go Red Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cinnamon and Trunk both have facilities. This webpage might help you out in learning about various beaches: http://www.*****/stjohn/beaches_stj/

As far as the contacts, you might want to do some searches on these boards - I think some people have posted very positive experiences snorkeling with contacts or prescriptive stuff.

icon_smile.gif

~ Mandy

NCL Sky 12/2000 - Western Caribbean

Celebrity Galaxy 12/2001 - Southern Caribbean

S/S Norway 03/2003 wedding cruise - Eastern Caribbean

~~~~ Married on the beach in St John! ~~~~

HAL ms Maasdam 11/23/2003 - Western Caribbean

Great Cruz Bay is the Westin Resort's Beach. There is no cost to go to it.It is a nice beach but certainly not the greatest of St. John Beaches. The water is a bit murky so it doesn't have that crystal clear water most other St. John beaches have.

--Islander

For more information on the Virgin Islands visit http://www.***** the best guide to St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John and Water Island. Includes a Cruise Guide to the USVI (ferry info, taxi rates, beach guide, dock info, cruies ship schedule and more).

Seems like I've read on one of the message boards that you can rent masks with prescription lenses from some of the watersports places in St. John... maybe Cruz Bay Watersports? Islander, have you heard of this?

2Feathers

Hello,

Yes if someone really wants to snorkel and contacts are out you can get inserts for the mask; some are like stickers that stick inside the glass and others are really inserts that fit in. I do know what they are I don't know whether Cruz Bay Watersports has thembut it seems quite likely that they would, so definately just take a walk over there and ask if you really want to snorkel - they are very close to the ferry dock so you can just stop in and check and then be on your way.

As for beaches with the things you are looking for "nice beach with nice facilities/snack bars/music, etc." you are limited to four beaches since you want facilities and food; Caneel Bay and Great Cruz Bay have resorts on them so they have very nice resturants and bars. And Trunk Bay and Cinnamon are National Park maintained and have nice facilities and food (burgers, sandwhiches, fries, salads..) None have music.

--Islander

For more information on the Virgin Islands visit http://www.***** the best guide to St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John and Water Island. Includes a Cruise Guide to the USVI (ferry info, taxi rates, beach guide, dock info, cruies ship schedule and more).

Thanks! I guess by nice I meant that it has chairs, food service, etc. I live on the ocean in Mass and we have beaches galore so just going to a beach is not a big deal, but being pampered at one would be cool icon_biggrin.gif

Princess Caribbean 10/16/04

Disney Wonder 04/18/04

Carnival Carnivale 05/88

Go Red Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bostonlass,

You can buy your own mask at your specific prescriction level at a good dive shop. I have a friend who dives with them & does great, but can't find his glasses if the fall off his nightstand!

Inquire at a good, reputable dive shop in boston & I am sure they could get you set up.

Snorkelcat

Zuiderdam 2/03

Radiance 2/04

Caribbean 1/05

Bostonglass; yes Great Cruz Bay has the Westin Resort on it so there are chairs, the restaurant and bar is just a short walk from the beach.

--Islander

Archived