Norwegian Jade oversold! We were bumped 2 weeks out from sailing!

otter_52

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this appallling customer service from NCL? We were about to set sail on the Norwegian Jade on March 27 and we got a phone call today saying they have oversold our rooms and been forced to cancel our booking!!! We booked in January and have paid in full. I can't believe we have been treated this way! They offered us a refund on the current cruise, paying out of pocket expenses up to 165 GBP per person and 50% off another cruise. We have no choice in the matter we have to take it as they have cancelled our booking! I find it hard to believe they didn't realize their mistake until now!

We have rebooked on the Norwegian Spirit sailing March 30th out of Barcelona and most of our extra costs will be covered but the hassle we are going through to cancel hotel rooms, book new flights, cancel private shore excursions is a crazy. Not to mention we are sailing on a cruise that was definitely not our first choice. Our rooms aren't really even upgraded because this cruise is already selling out! I guess you could say that is our fault for choosing a cruise that is only 2 weeks away from sailing but we have limited times we are available and we promised our three kids we would take them on a cruise!

When I asked about shipboard credit I was told no! They couldn't even offer me a better discount? I have to say this will be last time I deal with NCL and I will make sure as many people as I can know about their poor customer service!:mad:

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this appallling customer service from NCL? We were about to set sail on the Norwegian Jade on March 27 and we got a phone call today saying they have oversold our rooms and been forced to cancel our booking!!! We booked in January and have paid in full. I can't believe we have been treated this way! They offered us a refund on the current cruise, paying out of pocket expenses up to 165 GBP per person and 50% off another cruise. We have no choice in the matter we have to take it as they have cancelled our booking! I find it hard to believe they didn't realize their mistake until now!

We have rebooked on the Norwegian Spirit sailing March 30th out of Barcelona and most of our extra costs will be covered but the hassle we are going through to cancel hotel rooms, book new flights, cancel private shore excursions is a crazy. Not to mention we are sailing on a cruise that was definitely not our first choice. Our rooms aren't really even upgraded because this cruise is already selling out! I guess you could say that is our fault for choosing a cruise that is only 2 weeks away from sailing but we have limited times we are available and we promised our three kids we would take them on a cruise!

When I asked about shipboard credit I was told no! They couldn't even offer me a better discount? I have to say this will be last time I deal with NCL and I will make sure as many people as I can know about their poor customer service!:mad:

I don't blame you one bit for being so angry. I guess booking last minute isn't a good idea. But it sounds like NCL could have handled it differently by giving you something to compensate for their mistake!:eek:

That's what drives me crazy, we didn't book our original cruise last minute. It's just our replacement cruise is last minute because we have so few times of the year we can go on vacation. I just thought they could gives us shipboard credit, spa certificates, anything, really! I'm going to keep asking every step of the way. All they can say is no.

I always thought they tried to call and make people offers to try and get them to move? I cruised once with a couple who were on a sailing that had been cancelled and they were called and asked if they could move to another week. They were offered an upgraded room, got an OBC and even money towards their flight changes. I would have thought NCL would have tried the same thing?

That would stink especially with having hotels booked, possible changes in flights, etc.

I know I would be highly upset if that happened to me, especially if I couldn't change my plans.

Wow, I would be p!ssed!!! I haven't even booked my cruise ( was going to this week) but this makes me the twice.

My recommendation is don't bother!!!! This just shows what kind of value they place on their customers. I have read other people's experiences in a similar situation and they were treated much better. Upgraded to penthouse, 70% off future cruises etc.

Find a cruise line that cares about it's clients. NOT NCL!

I always thought they tried to call and make people offers to try and get them to move? I cruised once with a couple who were on a sailing that had been cancelled and they were called and asked if they could move to another week. They were offered an upgraded room, got an OBC and even money towards their flight changes. I would have thought NCL would have tried the same thing?

That would stink especially with having hotels booked, possible changes in flights, etc.

I know I would be highly upset if that happened to me, especially if I couldn't change my plans.

NCL did phone us and made us an offer yesterday! After doing research I phoned them back to say we didn't want the offer and they basically told me too bad and didn't even bother to sweeten the offer at all. In the end we getting around 1400 GBP back if you count the 50% discount and paying 165 GBP in out of pocket expenses. In my opinion that is not enough. I feel completely ripped off. In the end it will cost them a lot more.

They have lost my business, any future business from my friends and family and I hope from others who read this post.

They sold your specific room number twice? That borders on the criminal.

I guess so. We booked specific room numbers as we wanted ajoining rooms with a door inbetween so our kids could have one room and we could have the other. They must of booked at least one of our rooms twice. I don't know if this happened to anyone else. But all the rooms must be sold because they couldn't even switch our rooms at all.

That's what drives me crazy, we didn't book our original cruise last minute. It's just our replacement cruise is last minute because we have so few times of the year we can go on vacation. I just thought they could gives us shipboard credit, spa certificates, anything, really! I'm going to keep asking every step of the way. All they can say is no.

Wait....when did you book your original cruise then? The one they cancelled??

I guess so. We booked specific room numbers as we wanted ajoining rooms with a door inbetween so our kids could have one room and we could have the other. They must of booked at least one of our rooms twice. I don't know if this happened to anyone else. But all the rooms must be sold because they couldn't even switch our rooms at all.

See you live in London, wonder if NCL operates differently with European customers? I don't know. I hear this with folks who cruise Princess, i.e., Europeans/Australians too say they don't get the same benefits.

Regardless, I agree with you... does not sound like you are being treated fairly.

The travel business these days is not customer friendly. I have similar feelings dealing with airlines. We are flying to Rome to get the Jade in April. Two years ago we did a similar flight on American Airlines, very poor service. So this year I booked on Air France... they are not very customer friendly in the US either. Customer service seems to be a thing of the fast in book.

My recommendation is don't bother!!!! This just shows what kind of value they place on their customers. I have read other people's experiences in a similar situation and they were treated much better. Upgraded to penthouse, 70% off future cruises etc.

Find a cruise line that cares about it's clients. NOT NCL!

Please, calm down. You were just unlucky. Never heard about this before. People will cruise with NCL over and over and come back with great memories.

I am sure that your Spirit cruise will be awsome! Make the best out of it. If you board the ship in Barcelona still being pissed and angry over NCL's fault, I can promise you will ruin your own cruise.

Well I still think that stinks, I do see the sailing seems to now be gone from their website.

I truly have never understood how any cruise line, hotel, airline can over book. They know their capacity, know what is reserved. I think it is ridiculous that they count on getting cancellations that may not happen.

Though I thought they would call more and see who would be willing to switch, though maybe they make better offers to US customers? Though I wouldn't have any idea why that would be.

Will be interesting to see how many other posts the boards get from people getting bumped from that sailing.

I am very sorry. I, too, would be upset and disappointed.

I am surprised this happened. I know overbooking is an industry wide practice and everything usually works out because of cancellations. Our cruises on the Jade have been on a less than full ship so I'm wondering if this is a spring break week or something that NCL should have anticipated and didn't.

When I had to cancel on another line, my cruise consultant with the company told us to wait to the last minute in case of overbooking to see if we'd get an out that way. (We didn't.)

I'm thinking perhaps they canceled the late bookings. If I'm reading correctly the OP booked in January which had to be after most final payments. Maybe that's how they chose who got bumped.

Like the other poster, I wish you a good cruise on the Spirit.

I'm sorry that this happend to you. I'd be upset as well, but this does happen on occasion. I have been a member here for a while and there was a time when it happened quite often with Carnival, but lately I have not read about anyone being bumped. You are the first in a long time. :(

One thing I know (and I am going to take this into consideration when booking) is NCL is gettign very busy lately. I was on the phone with a PCC end of last week who told me that it seems they are super busy, filling ships like crazy and he told me it was a lot of people new to NCL coming over from CCL. He thinks their mishaps of late have been to NCL's benefit. I told him it was more than their mishaps. People are jumping ship over there because their product has deteriorated a bit....

Then I spoke with a TA (I'm trying to organize a group cruise, hence all these conversations with agents) and she told me the same thing...She has been booking so many more NCL cruises than usual and she had no idea why. She is happy though :)

NCL is becoming popular...and they do not have the number of ships other lines have My advice is to book in advance when possible. Not just because of fear of being bumped, but also pricing. My last NCL cruise a few weeks ago on the Sun, was sold out 3 months in advance. A few cabins opened up after final payment and those then sold too, but basically the ship was full EARLY. Prices do not go down when sailings are booking. Try to plan ahead....and if you plan 9 months ahead you get the added bonus of extra points.

I would keep calling and asking to speak to someone higher up. The key will be to remain calm. Get angry and start yelling and you will get no resolve, but stay polite yet insistent and eventually (although it is going to take some time) it will pay off. But rest assured, people will still keep cruising despite your unfortunate incident. Good Luck and may you have a wonderful replacement vacation.

I'm so sorry. :( Your situation sounds terrible and I can understand that you are angry. I would be too.

If I'd need to guess they are primarily targeting now European cruisers to cancel because flights are much more cheaper to port city. Better odds also that an European passenger might change plans on a last minute notice.

I know overbooking is an industry wide practice and everything usually works out because of cancellations. Our cruises on the Jade have been on a less than full ship so I'm wondering if this is a spring break week or something that NCL should have anticipated and didn't.

Easter. That's the reason. The cruise leaves just before so people can take advantage of the extra free vacation days.

Again, I feel your pain and am so sorry about your situation. I'm glad though that you found something to substitute your original cruise. It's not the same experience but still a cruise.

Can UK consumer protection laws help you? I've read on other threads that they have some fairly strict protections relative to the US.

Since you were bumped with only 2 weeks' notice, I feel like NCL should cover all of your out-of pocket-expenses (e.g. nonrefundable flights), not just 165 GBP worth per person.

I suspect they paid in full in January. Final payment is always 2 months before sailing date for cruises booked via NCL in Europe.

My mistake. I thought we had booked in January but we actually booked in October and made the final payment in January. I thought NCL would have told us then that it was double booked but I guess not.

I recieved a confirmation of our new cruise a little while ago and it looks like they have added some onboard credit. I do appreciate that they are continuing to try and improve the situation.

I am disappointed and frustrated that we were bumped but I am looking forward to experiencing the Norwegian Spirit. Up until now we have only sailed on the Jade so this will be good to experience a different ship.

Maybe go to the meet and greet on the new ship and mention to the officers what happened maybe they will give you free specialty resultant or spa package that way. I hear the take the CC meet and greets vey seriously

Though going back and reading the OP did state they were given 50% off the other cruise, which seems like a good deal to me. Though I don't know about expenses, costs to change hotels, flights etc. The reimbursement for that may not have been very good, though I think NCL should pick up any expense associated with the change.

Though I am surprised if they didn't take their original offer, I would have thought NCL would try to check with more passengers before just cancelling the booking? Wonder how many they made the offer to switch to?

Archived