Alaska with 2yo - which stroller?

HarperSays

We will be cruising AK in May with my almost 2yo DD. We have a hiking backpack carrier, an umbrella stroller and a jogging stroller with the thicker wheels (for more rugged terrain). Which should I bring? We will be flying to Vancouver for NC, so I want a stroller in the airports (three flights on the way and two on the way back). But we will be hiking to Mendenhall and light hiking/walking with Dyea Dave, plus Exit glacier in Seward post cruise, so I will want the hiking carrier. My real question is which stroller? I feel like the umbrella is all we'll need in the airport and for Creek Street in Ketchikan, but do you see a need for the jogging stroller off pavement at all? I wouldn't think so, but just wanted to make sure. TIA!

We will be cruising AK in May with my almost 2yo DD. We have a hiking backpack carrier, an umbrella stroller and a jogging stroller with the thicker wheels (for more rugged terrain). Which should I bring? We will be flying to Vancouver for NC, so I want a stroller in the airports (three flights on the way and two on the way back). But we will be hiking to Mendenhall and light hiking/walking with Dyea Dave, plus Exit glacier in Seward post cruise, so I will want the hiking carrier. My real question is which stroller? I feel like the umbrella is all we'll need in the airport and for Creek Street in Ketchikan, but do you see a need for the jogging stroller off pavement at all? I wouldn't think so, but just wanted to make sure. TIA!

I would take the umbrella stroller as you won't have much room to store the jogging stroller.

Jogging strollers are normally too wide for the ship/in port. If you can borrow or buy a second hand heavy duty umbrella stroller, that would be best. I had a lightweight MacLaren that was sturdy enough for uneven ground, but reclined some, had sun cover, etc.

Best,

Mia

Jogging strollers are normally too wide for the ship/in port. If you can borrow or buy a second hand heavy duty umbrella stroller' date=' that would be best. I had a lightweight MacLaren that was sturdy enough for uneven ground, but reclined some, had sun cover, etc.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Thank you - this is what I'm thinking. I need a little step up from my basic umbrella. I'll see what I can find second hand before May.

I would do a Baby Jogger City Mini with a Diono console. Great canopy, super small fold, easy and quick to grab at the airport. I've owned aabout 15 strollers and it is far and away my favorite. Second choice would be a Maclaren Triumph. But the canopy isn't as good and the seat isn't as padded.

I would do a Baby Jogger City Mini with a Diono console. Great canopy, super small fold, easy and quick to grab at the airport. I've owned aabout 15 strollers and it is far and away my favorite. Second choice would be a Maclaren Triumph. But the canopy isn't as good and the seat isn't as padded.

Thank you! We do own the city mini, but I was thinking it still might be too big...at least bigger than an umbrella. But I do love the big canopy it offers, especially with the rain AK is known to get.

• 3 months later...

I love my City Mini, and if I would definitely take it if I needed rugged terrain. We have a maclaren and britax blink (both nice umbrellas) but neither handle well on rough terrain. I remember last time we were on Oasis with the britax thinking that we could have brought the City Mini without problems, and saw quite a few onboard as well. You will prob only pass cleaning carts 1 -2x a day at most if that, you could always pop the stroller closed since its so easy to close. We are taking 2 umbrella's this time but if we only needed one stroller i'd def take the City Mini-- both of my kids sleep so well in that stroller.

Archived