Carnival Policy Regarding Shorts and Dinning?

blackcows

Can someone please explain this to me...

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Shorts (including gym and basketball shorts), beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and caps are the only items of clothing never permitted in the dining room during dinner.

In the policy under what you can wear to dinner it seems to include shorts yet the written restriction above seems to say you can not wear shorts? Also we will be traveling with several teenage girls who all have many pairs of short shorts that seems to be the style....are these acceptable in the dinning room?

The policy is not at all enforced. I saw people wearing jeans, flip flops and even jogging suits and this was on formal night. I did not see any short shorts, all of the young ladies showed up nicely dressed. It was the adults who were not properly dressed.

Why are Daisy Duke shorts appropriate for dinner?

:rolleyes:

They aren't, but that doesn't mean that that aren't worn. Just like shorts that aren't dress shorts are ok. Ball caps, tee shirts saying all kinds of lewd/offensive sayings are let into the MDR. NO ONE enforces the rules.

I used to think that it was because the Maitre D' wouldn't get a tip, but now that there are no longer envelopes for them, methinks, that there would be a lot of flack on the comment cards or complaints to customer service etc. when not allowed in the MDR for proper attire.

My thought is how you dress says a lot about you and if you want to say you are a loser etc., dress accordingly. JMOYMMV.

Carnival's policy for cruise casual specifically states that dress shorts (long) are appropriate. So, in other words, if they are not denim and approximately knee length, they are okay. But--they won't be checking length, and there are some shorts that could look like denim but aren't, so I'm sure they aren't going to be checking too closely on that, either.

A few weeks ago aboard the Valor I actually saw a group of 6 men people turned away from the dining room. It was Elegant night and they were in shorts, tshirts and flip flops. This was downstairs in the Lincoln Dining Room for Your Time Dining. I think if they were wearing anything other than tshirts (polo, button up), they would not have been turned away.

The types of shorts that are considered 'appropriate' in the dining room are not the shortie shorts that are the style teenage girls are wearing.

That does not mean they will be turned away.

However, and I mean no offense, blackcows, but I would request that perhaps they put on a cutesy sundress, khaki shorts, capri's, etc. It's just for one meal in the MDR with family. Wearing less revealing clothing does not mean they are not being fashionable, rather, that they are dressing for a different environment. I have no doubt they will look classy and absolutely lovely!

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Shorts (including gym and basketball shorts), beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and caps are the only items of clothing never permitted in the dining room during dinner.

In the policy under what you can wear to dinner it seems to include shorts yet the written restriction above seems to say you can not wear shorts? Also we will be traveling with several teenage girls who all have many pairs of short shorts that seems to be the style....are these acceptable in the dinning room?

Blackcows, I know that the young girls like to wear dressy shorts with platform pumps/sandals and a cute dressy top. That kind of shorts outfit looks very appropriate for dinner in the MDR. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about. I know I'm cruising next week with my daughter and her five college housemates. At least one of the nights (not the cruise Elegant nights) my daughter will be wearing a pair of navy shorts (mid thigh) and a navy/white striped fitted jacket with a white silky tank underneath. She's wearing her nude patent leather 5" platform sandals with this and after dinner, she will change into flat white sandals. It looks very fashionable and MDR appropriate. The other nights, she'll wear dressy sundresses and on Elegant night, she has two dressier type dresses. She and her friends had so much fun planning out their MDR outfits.

Having been on carnival before and after they changed from formal nights to elegant, it seems to me that "anything goes" in the mdr. The dining room staff, who work on tips, is torn between the passengers and the company. They have to enforce a dress code that is vague at best sent down from the company. If they are too strict, then they risk pissing off the people tip them, however, if they too lax, then they get negative comments that they let people who are not appropriately dressed in to dinner. In a lot of ways, the old policy of no shorts was better. I love the idea of getting dressed for dinner comfortably, but it is not really nice to go to dinner and see people dressed like they are at the beach. There has to be a limit, but basically unless you are in a swim suit then you are ok. Just my 2 cents worth.

Howard

The policy is not at all enforced. I saw people wearing jeans, flip flops and even jogging suits and this was on formal night. I did not see any short shorts, all of the young ladies showed up nicely dressed. It was the adults who were not properly dressed.

The policy is just that.. A policy

If guest don't have the decency to respect it Carnival will not kick them out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

My DD(16) only has short shorts too. At 5'11 1/2" there aren't many shorts made for teens that aren't short shorts on her. Her solution at dinner is to pack all dresses and skirts, with bootie shorts (she is a dancer) under them because the longest of them usually come mid thigh on her too. DS(18) wears cargo shorts which many men and boys wear.

Archived