New way for Carnival to stick it to ES purchasers

rch3

I have a question..... :)

I booked ES last July for a cruise in May. The category I booked, 6K, only has 2 rooms on the ship. I booked one (obviously) and the other was already booked.

With the category now sold out, I never bother looking for a price reduction. Is it possible if Carnival blankets a promo..OBC, upgrade etc.. I can ask for the promo item?

Thanks

I'm wondering something similar. I have been checking the fare viewer about a dozen times/day since we got off Miracle on 2/18/13 and it is STILL not working (this is disgraceful as far as I'm concerned! :mad:) I do a ghost booking. There was only one cabin left in our category this whole time. It has now been booked (I guess cuz it doesn't show up) So this means there's no way I'll ever get OBC? :confused: Because obviously, there is no way I can check it because fare viewer is not working and I can't do a ghost booking anymore. :(:mad:

So are you saying that even with booking early saver, you weren't given the adjusted rate that included the OBC?

Genuinely asking here, not trying to be sarcastic or anything. I've seen it several times around here (myself included) of people getting that slightly higher rate with the OBC to net lower. Just trying to understand what rate you were told you couldn't get. Having an ES booking for August, this is useful information for me to have. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Precisely. I did NOT get it. ES doesn't permit cancellation and re-booking as others do in order to receive the obc "rebates." I was told that the "price protection" applies only to fare. So, after sucking all the ES fare payers in, ccl sets a price $10 higher than its lowest previous price, then offers a series of obc incentives to freeze us out. Simple and close to dishonest.

Carnival is not doing anything they haven't done before. Since you understand what an incentive is, you understand you are not eligible for it. Yet you want both it and I suspect price protection AFTER final payment which the other fares won't have. Seems to me you want both which sounds like double dipping to me.

You are correct Schultz, and so is Carnival. Their guarantee is for fare not for net cost of your booking. I agree that the net effect is less in the OP's example. However Carnival is guaranteeing lowest fare, not lowest net effect. I wish these people could get it through their thick skulls. If you don't understand the rules....maybe you shouldn't be playing...just sayin'.

I have a question..... :)

I booked ES last July for a cruise in May. The category I booked, 6K, only has 2 rooms on the ship. I booked one (obviously) and the other was already booked.

With the category now sold out, I never bother looking for a price reduction. Is it possible if Carnival blankets a promo..OBC, upgrade etc.. I can ask for the promo item?

Thanks

No, you must match category for category. But see below...

I'm wondering something similar. I have been checking the fare viewer about a dozen times/day since we got off Miracle on 2/18/13 and it is STILL not working (this is disgraceful as far as I'm concerned! :mad:) I do a ghost booking. There was only one cabin left in our category this whole time. It has now been booked (I guess cuz it doesn't show up) So this means there's no way I'll ever get OBC? :confused: Because obviously, there is no way I can check it because fare viewer is not working and I can't do a ghost booking anymore. :(:mad:

You should continue to check fares. Even if Fareviewer were working, you wouldn't be able to check fares on a category that's sold out--it won't show up there anymore. However, if the fare for a category above yours dips below the fare you paid, you can get OBC or an upgrade by matching to that one. You can't match to a lower category but you can match to a higher one.

Precisely. I did NOT get it. ES doesn't permit cancellation and re-booking as others do in order to receive the obc "rebates." I was told that the "price protection" applies only to fare. So, after sucking all the ES fare payers in, ccl sets a price $10 higher than its lowest previous price, then offers a series of obc incentives to freeze us out. Simple and close to dishonest.

You should call again and talk with someone else. There have been many reports of people who are booked ES and have gotten the OBC from the recent sales.

I agree with you. The appeal of ES used to be that you were guaranteed the lowest price (up to 2 days prior to the sailing). Now there are so many restrictions and loopholes that it is not worth it to book ES. Yet one more reason to try other cruise lines...;)

If i had a nickle for every time i've read this I'd be rich.

I just wonder how many people actually follow through and book with other lines?

I hear this and then read that oh the prices shocked me and I'm not going to pay that.

Well for those that aren't going to pay the prices on other lines then you should stop complaining about Carnival hosing you.

And for those that say that the other lines are more, that is not always the case.:)

Bill

You should continue to check fares. Even if Fareviewer were working, you wouldn't be able to check fares on a category that's sold out--it won't show up there anymore. However, if the fare for a category above yours dips below the fare you paid, you can get OBC or an upgrade by matching to that one. You can't match to a lower category but you can match to a higher one.

Okay, thanks for that info. I have to tell you, I have NEVER EVER gotten an OBC and look at all the CCL cruises I have been on! I think it's because since the ES and OBC has been in effect we have only cruised out of Manhattan and with so few ships here, they fill up fast. If it was FL might be different. I will keep checking, but I think the cruise is almost sold out.

I can (kind of) see why they have their position- although I do not agree with it at all. I also see why you feel like its a way to get around early saver. It seems that way to me too. However, I have heard of other people getting this and that the "new bookings only" caveat does not apply to ES. So either Carnival has started enforcing what they say their rules are (as far as new bookings only means new bookings only) OR the person that you dealt with did not know what they are talking about. Either are equally plausible theories. ;) Personally, I would try it again and see if you get a different result.

I agree with the others, I would keep trying. Just last week we got a "drop" - the rate was $90 higher, but came with $250 OBC.

It worked out even better for us - we're using the 15% discount from our cancelled Triumph cruise on this one. They applied the 15% to the new rate (so it actually only went up $76.50 for us), but what I expected them to do, but they didn't, was only give us 85% of the OBC. So they only discounted the rate and gave us the entire $250. So I would definitely keep trying, and if it's still available, get the screen shot and send that in as a reply to any denial emails you get.

Even if you can't get a screen shot, they should still be able to look up the rate at that time, as others have reported around here as being able to do.

Keep trying!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If i had a nickle for every time i've read this I'd be rich.

I just wonder how many people actually follow through and book with other lines?

I hear this and then read that oh the prices shocked me and I'm not going to pay that.

Well for those that aren't going to pay the prices on other lines then you should stop complaining about Carnival hosing you.

And for those that say that the other lines are more, that is not always the case.:)

Bill

For the record, I have enjoyed all of my Carnival cruises, especially the ones in 2008. Although we enjoyed our most recent cruise and have wonderful memories, we definitely noticed cutbacks, and we had a sense of been there, done that on the ship. When I got back, I booked 2 more short cruises on Carnival (have always done 7 days, but had less time available due to new job) on ES. However, as I have had more time to reflect on the cruise, I have discovered that I am willing to pay more for a more refined experience, especially when I read the boards for the other cruise lines. That's not to say that I would never book with Carnival again, especially for short, fun cruises, but for Europe, Hawaii, and Alaska, I will be looking at Celebrity, NCL (because that's the only choice for 7 days), and Princess respectively.

Maybe, I'm the only one who thinks this.

When, I book a cruise: I like the price, the itinerary, etc. Why would I then complain about the price. This boggles my brain when someone does this.

I normally book ES, with the hopes of getting an OBC. Sometimes that doesn't happen and thats okay! I liked the price before I started. If you booked with any of the others like past guest, you liked the price, Right? If you didn't, Why did you book?

Does this make sense to anyone else?

I would call back and talk to someone else. I booked an ES rate for the glory next month. About 3 weeks ago the ticket price was $100 higher than what I paid but it came with a $250 OBC. So it netted out $150 less. I booked through a local TA. I called her and she contacted carnival and was told no. When she called me back we discussed it some more and I told her i was reading where people where able to make this happen. My TA called carnival back and that time she was able to get it done.

Now here is where I had a problem. Last weeks sale brought the rate down even lower. I knew I would lose the promotional OBC if I switched but my net price was still less. So I got my TA to call carnival and they denied this claim saying I am no longer under the early saver program. Carnival says that I canceled my ES rate and now i am booked uner the promotional sale rate which doesnt qualify for priceprotection. I dont understand this at all because I thought there was a $500 non refundable deposit if I canceled my ES rate?

So if you want the credit I would just call back until you get someone who is willing to help you.

Well, we sail twice a year. Most times with CCL, including our upcoming Dream cruise this July. I've posted before about the private upsell method to avoid a published fare reduction keeping ES purchasers at bay, but here's a new one.

Last week's sale with up to $450 obc had a published rate of $1049 pp for a 7c cove balcony. For that fare in that category purchasers received $250 obc/cabin. Now our rate had been reduced to $1039 pp. So pay $20 to get $250 right?

Not so fast says carnival. It is "price protection" not incentive protection. In other words, those who commit with non-refundable deposits are treated less favorably than are those who wait and can later simply cancel. Of course the obc is likely to help keep people committed, just like the penalty for cancellation keeps ES fare payers on the hook.

Nice job ccl. Use the stick to keep ES cruisers in line and the carrot for everyone else. And don't try to convince me that I had a better choice of cabins. Plenty of availability thus the non-price protected incentive. Last ES booking for me. Too many ways for ccl to avoid its promise.

You should have called back and talked to someone else. Many of us who booked ES got this sale last week. I paid $180 more per room and recieved $250 OBC per room. My travel agent called again and talked to someone else after getting the same story you got from the first Carnival Customer Service Rep. TA was able to get the sale for me, he said the screen shots I sent him of the sale helped hime with his argument. I've read of others who also received it and I've read of those who got the same story you got. I advised everyone who got your story to call back and talk to someone else.

Again...when you get this response call back and talk to someone else...it worked for my TA.

When, I book a cruise: I like the price, the itinerary, etc. Why would I then complain about the price. This boggles my brain when someone does this.

I normally book ES, with the hopes of getting an OBC. Sometimes that doesn't happen and thats okay! I liked the price before I started. If you booked with any of the others like past guest, you liked the price, Right? If you didn't, Why did you book?

That is my thought process also. I have always booked ES and gotten either reduction in fares or OBC, but I would not have booked the cruise without being able to afford the original price at the time of booking. The folks that blame Carnival or anyone else for their inability to work the system within the rules of the system are just frustrating themselves. It's Carnival's game and it's their rules. If you don't like them...cruise with some other line. See how you like their ES, Past Guest, Save Big or Spring Into Savings rates......yeah....that's what I thought!

Well, we sail twice a year. Most times with CCL, including our upcoming Dream cruise this July. I've posted before about the private upsell method to avoid a published fare reduction keeping ES purchasers at bay, but here's a new one.

Last week's sale with up to $450 obc had a published rate of $1049 pp for a 7c cove balcony. For that fare in that category purchasers received $250 obc/cabin. Now our rate had been reduced to $1039 pp. So pay $20 to get $250 right?

Not so fast says carnival. It is "price protection" not incentive protection. In other words, those who commit with non-refundable deposits are treated less favorably than are those who wait and can later simply cancel. Of course the obc is likely to help keep people committed, just like the penalty for cancellation keeps ES fare payers on the hook.

Nice job ccl. Use the stick to keep ES cruisers in line and the carrot for everyone else. And don't try to convince me that I had a better choice of cabins. Plenty of availability thus the non-price protected incentive. Last ES booking for me. Too many ways for ccl to avoid its promise.

try sending it back in..We have four cabins, all sent in on separate forms and all were switched to new rate with the OBC no problem!

I agree for the most part. I think for me it's a bit of GREEN ENVY. I read of all these pax getting hundreds of $'es in OBC or getting upgraded and even tho I am thrilled for them, I kind of feel like, hey, why can't I get that too! :confused: But sometimes thems the breaks and I just get on the ship and ENJOY my cruise! ;) I am lucky that we can cruise from port of Manhattan which is about 20 minutes from my doorstep, so I just figure what I am not saving in OBC I am saving in airfare, etc! :D

Carnival has done nothing wrong in my opinion. They said they match any lower rate not match any lower rate plus all incentives. And since the rate wasn't lower then what you paid they didn't break there end of the deal.

If carnivals next sale comes with a lollipop, 2 carrot sticks and a yoyo. Will you try to figure out what this cost and demand a rebate

They sure have made pricing much more complicated than it used to be.

I for one am sick to death of the multiple Carnival "sale" e-mails that flood my inbox every week. Not a one of them results in a lower fare for any sailing that I've been interested in.

I for one am sick to death of the multiple Carnival "sale" e-mails that flood my inbox every week. Not a one of them results in a lower fare for any sailing that I've been interested in.

Be proactive....instead of just complaining....take yourself off the mailing list.....sheesh...if you're not part of the solution....you're part of the problem...and in your case...you are the problem!

That's just another reason not to bother with ES. I have always found the incentives not worth losing the flexibility to cancel.

Now with these crazy sales ES seems even less attractive.

I totally respect your opinion and right to not book ES. It's worked very well for me and I now have enough OBC on my upcoming cruise to pay our gratuities, three nights in the steakhouse, and still have more than $1,100 left to play with. :D

Makes sense to me. I don't book a cruise unless I'm comfortable with the fare at the time I book it. When I get OBC on top of it, that's just icing on the cake. :D

What some people don't seem to realize is that Carnival owes them nothing. Incentives and loyalty programs exist to generate new business. They are not rewards for events in the past, but to generate something going forward. They also can only do so much. If they don't accomplish the desired goals, lowering of prices can be tried. Patience is a virtue. :)

I agree Carnival owes no one anything. I also agree that incentives are an attempt to get new bookings. But Loyalty programs are not designed for new bookings. They are for a customers loyalty (rewards for past events, that is continued sailing a particular line).

I agree Carnival owes no one anything. I also agree that incentives are an attempt to get new bookings. But Loyalty programs are not designed for new bookings. They are for a customers loyalty (rewards for past events, that is continued sailing a particular line).

Continued sailing would be new bookings. But there are diminishing returns - experienced cruisers seem to spend less on the ship than new cruisers. Repeat business is good, but not as good as some repeat customers think.

For those who don't like emails from Carnival - unsubscribe. Problem solved!

Archived