Dream Caribbean port review

Not so much a review, more of what we did in each port to give a flavour of what you can do.

Bear in mind we have done most of these Islands before, I would suggest if it's your first time then do the Island tours offered by the taxi drivers when you get off the ship, they tend to get cheaper the further you walk.;)

Don't just do the Thomson tours, get out on the local transport and enjoy the real Caribbean experience of chatting to the locals, they are really friendly. As long as you aim to be back in port 2 or 3 hours before sailing or just after Lunch you should be OK.

Dates are Feb/Mar 2013 and include the ships in port:

19th Tuesday, Basseterre - ST KITTS 08:00 - 18:00

Adventure Of The Seas

Docked at 8.30am, got bus to Brimstone Hill Fortress for $1.50 each, walked up to Fortress and saw Monkeys on the way, the walk up the hill took 25 mins. $8 each to get in and $5 for audio guide (well worth it). Walked around for 2 hours, bus back and then back onboard for 1.30pm. Had Lunch, back out for duty free shopping, 1ltr Bombay Sapphire $15, 1 ltr Wray & Nephews $15.

20th Wednesday, Philipsburg - ST MAARTEN 08:00 - 18:00

Celebrity Silhouette, Ruby Princess

A bit cloudy, we got back to the ship at 3pm just before a heavy rainstorm. Off at 8.30am, got bus from Back Street to Maho Bay $2 each, watched planes and muppets getting blown about from the jet blast on beach then walked to Mullet bay & back, $5 there for a sunbed. Got bus back to town had beers on beachfront, this is a cheap port for booze and T-Shirts.

21st Thursday, Road Town - BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS 08:00 - 18:00

Did Thomsons trip to Virgin Gorda Baths £40 each. 8.30am start, was rough on catamaran going but OK coming back. Took 35 mins each way on boat and then short 10 min bus trip to baths, we got 2 hours there, not really long enough, caves are wonderful and Devils beach very good. Back for 1pm.

Glad we did the Thomson tour as the Catamaran did not sail the 3 days beforehand, if they had stopped sailing in the afternoon we could have been stranded.

22nd Friday, St John's - ANTIGUA 08:00 - 18:00

Got No 22 bus to Valley Church beach, lovely beach, stayed until 12noon and got bus opposite way to St John’s to end of the line and back into St John’s $1.50 each. Rows between driver and locals both ways!! On the way there a blind man was arguing with driver about getting going, a tourist stepped on and got both barrels, everyone was laughing.

23rd Saturday, Roseau - DOMINICA 08:00 - 17:00

Walked around town, through market then to Botanical Gardens, up Jacks Walk to viewpoint then back down via the road past kids having football training. Through Fort Young Hotel and then back to ship.

24th Sunday, Bridgetown - BARBADOS

Walked to Brandons beach, the only bar was shut as it was Sunday, no chairs but a great “locals” beach, calm sea, good reefs for snorkelling.

25th Monday, At Sea

26th Tuesday, Oranjestad - ARUBA 09:00 - 23:00

Walked past all the island bus tours and taxis to beach and got bus to Eagle beach, $2.30 each. Walked along beach past Divi resorts at Druif beach, nothing special for the price they ask. As we saw the ships funnel from Druif beach we ended up walking back for Lunch. Back off ship at 1pm, walked to park and saw iguanas, then walked around town. Very windy day.

27th Wednesday, Willemstad - CURACAO 09:00 - 16:00

AIDA luna, Pullmantur Horizon

Walked around the town and saw most of the sights, very pretty. We were docked the other side of the tall bridge, the Pullmantur just before it and the Aida in the mega dock. Watched sailaway at 6pm, a great view. Someone on the cruise said the tour on the open sided bus (east side tour) was good $20 for bus to beach with free drinks and good sightseeing along the way.

28th Thursday, Margarita Island - VENEZUELA 13:00 - 18:00

Nothing here really, docked at 12noon, had lunch whilst the crowds flocked off, walked off for an hour it’s a small very busy beach. Nice market stalls.

1st Friday, St George's - GRENADA 09:00 - 18:00

Got No1 bus to Grand Anse Beach, 5EC$ each way for 2. Another row between local and driver. Stayed until 12.45pm, had nice lunch then back out for a walk over the hill past the fort to the Carenage, back through tunnel.

2nd Saturday, Castries - ST LUCIA 08:00 - 18:00

Had a great day with Cosol tours, 8.30am pick up 3.30pm back. It was as described on the internet but didn’t see Marigot beach. Our driver was called Baptiste and the driver of the other bus was Yellowbird.

3rd Sunday, Bridgetown - BARBADOS

Seabourn Spirit

Walked into Bridgetown, along Carlisle beach for a bit then back for lunch before leaving around 3.15pm.

I agree entirely with Joe on this one. I am sure the Thomsons trips are good but there is some sort of self satisfaction in finding your own way round. Dont forget if you do get lost or stranded (which is unlikely) you can always jump a taxi which tend to be very cheap. The best advice is when you get off the ship call at the information desk in the port arrivals hall. They are a mine of information and are really happy to give you tips on what to do. There are usually plenty of companies outside the port offering trips for a fraction of the Thomson price and all make sure you are back in time for the ship. My only word of warning is be careful at Margarita Island. We didnt dock until 1pm so time was already limited and taking a tour in the short time we were there was risky. Think i would just go to the beach here the general feedback from other cruisers was some places felt unsafe. Plus most tours came back late and only just made it back in time before we sailed. In fact the captain came over the loudspeaker and said we will give them 10 minutes more before we set sail! We tend to go out in the mornings and aim to get back early afternoon and devote some time then for sunbathing and relaxing plus you just cant miss those biscuits at 3pm!

Thanks for the feedback Joe. Pleased you had such a good time and were able to go independently for most of the ports. Will give others ideas of alternative things to do and ways of doing it. Useful info about buses on St Maarten and St Kitts - something we could try another time as we've not done either Maho Beach or the Fortress.

And so agree about Valley Church - one of our favourite days of the itinerary for us. :)

Thanks for the feedback Joe. Pleased you had such a good time and were able to go independently for most of the ports. Will give others ideas of alternative things to do and ways of doing it. Useful info about buses on St Maarten and St Kitts - something we could try another time as we've not done either Maho Beach or the Fortress.

And so agree about Valley Church - one of our favourite days of the itinerary for us. :)

Not done Maho but intend to go there this time. Fortress is well worth a visit if your interested in history even a little. Quite a hike up a very steep hill so not sure if we will bus or taxi yet depends how we feel on the day :)

we do do thomson trips because other half would worry about missing the ship.just back from caribbean treasures, as follows;

St.Kitts; boat trip to Nevis, a bit expensive for what it was; 40 mins each way on catamarran, private-ish beach with sunbeds,shade and a rum punch but sea was green rather than blue.didn't know what else to do as had done sugar-train.booked in advance, £46 each.

St. Maarten; husband could cope with boat-trip to town beach,$7 u.s each, sunbeds,shade and bucket of beer ( 5 bottles),$25 u.s, ask for sunbed pads; we got them!

BVI; thomson trip to Virgin Gorda, pre-booked £38 each; tragedy with rum punch on boat on return trip; ran out of fruit punch, had to have neat rum.tour guide very amusing.

Antigua; swim with stingrays, pre-booked £45 each.best excursion! ferried out to sandbank where you can hold and feed totally wild stingray who come there for the grub! lovely guides; one even helped a none-swimming lady out and back so that she could meet a stingray.plenty of rum punch on return to shore!

Dominica; pre-booked trip on r.i.b. to champagne snorkel/souffriere but this was cancelled the night before and ended up doing the waterfall/beach at £34 each after sulking.( decided against the champagne snokel trip because you reach the site from a rocky "beach", watershoes are advised).

Enjoyed trip; swam in waterfall,first chance on trip to see really lush scenery, black sand "maho beach"; free sunbeds/shades and a rum-punch.so not bad for an island with limited beach facilities.

Barbados; thomson wanted to charge £19 each just to take you to the beach at Carlysle Bay beach..funny.Taxi costs $5 u.s per person, entry to Boatyard $12 each; that gets you a free drink (you can guess by now, I had rum punch!) ,padded sunbed and shade and shuttle bus back to ship.

Alternatively you can walk it (approx. 40 mins, sightseeing Brigdetown) and there are plenty of other bars/sunbeds. A last chance to do snorkelling on wrecks or see turtles also available.

Here's bits of my trip..........

Aruba.... We hired a car online before we went, went to Baby beach, The lighthouse, Arashi beach, Eagle beach , Alto church and Hard Rock Cafe, B-I-L collects the tee shirts.

Curaco.....Got a taxi to Santa Maria beach, saw Flamingos, Iguanas and beautiful birds.

Margarita...... We went to the beach but Sister and B-I-L took a tour as he wanted to get another Hard Rock tee shirt, they had an interesting time!!!

Greneda.......River tubing with Thomsons, good fun our only ship trip.

St Lucia...........Cosol trip booked online, fab day went last year as well. Went to the mud bath instead of volcano, good fun, smooth skin!!!

Barbados.......... walked to beach, last year hired a car but they didn't have any left this year, should have pre-booked it.

St Kitts....... Took tour from Quay around island, very nice then walked around the town.

St Marrten.....Booked tour with Bernards online, fab day check it out.

Tortola........... Took tour from quay, saw cane garden bay stopped in small bar and watched sea dirds diving for fish, nive senic trip and island.

Antigua....... My birthday did Extreme Adventure trip with Adventure Antigua, booked online, fab day, went to Stingray city before the crouds, speedboat trip around island, seeing Dockyard and Hells gate, stopped on private island for a great lunch. Wonderful day.

Dominica...... Took tour from quay, saw hot springs waterfall etc then went to champagne beach with the tour guy.

All tours get you back in plenty of time they know when the boats leave and do it all the time during the season.

I have to add to the must do list is a helicopter trip to Montserrat with Caribbean helicopters. The devastation and effects of mother nature is unbelievable! OK this is an expensive trip but worth every penny. What I couldn't believe on return to the ship was people being so focused on the helicopter itself and comments such as "oh we went on a helicopter in las vegas"!! Eh no!! The helicopter ride is a bonus but the persective of a live volcano, its power, effects and how mother nature is repairing itself, evolving and changing doesn't come close to a helicopter ride circling Las Vegas! :rolleyes:

Well worth doing and definately a trip of a lifetime as this island is changing everyday, absolutely amazing and very highly recommended. Its also excellent for whale and turtle spotting as well as a fantastic view of Antigua....beautiful :)

I have to add to the must do list is a helicopter trip to Montserrat with Caribbean helicopters. The devastation and effects of mother nature is unbelievable! OK this is an expensive trip but worth every penny. What I couldn't believe on return to the ship was people being so focused on the helicopter itself and comments such as "oh we went on a helicopter in las vegas"!! Eh no!! The helicopter ride is a bonus but the persective of a live volcano, its power, effects and how mother nature is repairing itself, evolving and changing doesn't come close to a helicopter ride circling Las Vegas! :rolleyes:

Well worth doing and definately a trip of a lifetime as this island is changing everyday, absolutely amazing and very highly recommended. Its also excellent for whale and turtle spotting as well as a fantastic view of Antigua....beautiful :)

Wow!....would luv to do this:cool::cool:....did you book before you went?...is there a website?....sounds fantastic....I'm guessing Montserrat volcano is quiet at the moment

Agree - sounds absolutely fascinating - and as you say whistlerbc not a run-of-the-mill kind of thing to do - or more particularly - see. Isn't it amazing how narrow some people's perspective can be not to grasp the awe and wonder involved in what you saw - rather than how you got there?

Like geo something I would love to do - a once in a lifetime experience. I saw a helicopter pad in Aruba near the marina and wondered what the focus of the sight-seeing was there - but I'm sure it wasn't as exciting as a volcano! I assume this was done from Antigua. Interested in the details too - just in case we ever go again. ;)

Thats the guys. Its a canadian family that own and operate the business, first class service and experience. Their helipad is about 10 mins north of the port very easy and cheap taxi ride. As soon as you have lift off the sights are just stunning. We flew down the coast taking in Jolly beach etc then across the water to Montserrat. The pilot took us up and close to the top of the volcano, up a valley where the lava flow had set, around what had been a busy town now buried in ash, along the coast to show us the extent of new land and reefs created and along what was once the airport runway!

Can't recommend this highly enough, well worth saving up for and I know there are other helicopter tours to be had on other islands but this one is unique and very special.

Just to add - I booked the trip before we went via email. The company didn't actually take any deposit from my card just the details in case of no show and I paid on the day.

I think some of these water taxis that are run are really expensive. At St Maarten you can walk to the Beach in 15 minutes, and In Grenada the local bus is much cheaper and it sets you down in the middle of the beach away from all the other cruisers. A nicer part of the beach in my opinion.

I am glad I started this thread.

Got loads of excuses to go back next year now:D

Thanks to everyone that has had input.

Joe.

Dominica; pre-booked trip on r.i.b. to champagne snorkel/souffriere but this was cancelled the night before and ended up doing the waterfall/beach at £34 each after sulking.( decided against the champagne snokel trip because you reach the site from a rocky "beach", watershoes are advised).

We also booked the trip with Thomson and the night before it was cancelled (not enough takers). I was disappointed as two guys we met on the ship had done it the week before and highly recommended it.

We got off the ship and booked a taxi tour about 1 1/2 hours and then he took us to Champagne Beach. It was $19US, each for entry, equipment and guide. We did have water shoes so the walk along the boardwalk and rocky beach was no problem.

We explained to the guide that we were slighly nervous snokellers and he was very attentive to this fact. We (just the two of us) followed alongside him and he showed us so many things we would not have noticed by ourselves. Having him with us gave us the confidence to go that bit further out on the reef.

The live coral and the champagne bubbles were amazing...the guide went to the bottom and brought up with him piping hot fresh spring water in a tube, very amusing.

I can highly recommend doing it this was as I think the whole day including our tour cost a fraction of what Thomson were charging, although we did not get the trip on the r.i.b. dingy thing.

Lorraine

Margarita Island. Take half a suitcase on your cruise, go to Porlamar and buy clothes, perfume, etc at a third of UK prices.

We also found a wonderful little restaurant and had a meal for two, drinks and 30pc tip for £11.

Even if you are not on holiday to shop, don't stay in the port area at a rubbish beach!

Margarita Island. Take half a suitcase on your cruise, go to Porlamar and buy clothes, perfume, etc at a third of UK prices.

We also found a wonderful little restaurant and had a meal for two, drinks and 30pc tip for £11.

Even if you are not on holiday to shop, don't stay in the port area at a rubbish beach!

More info please!

How to get there.

Where is it.

WHAT is it?? lol:)

We enjoyed a Thomson trip on Margarita Island. All the cactii and dusty cowboy country type scenery. We are in the touring caravan at the moment so I haven't got our travel info with me but we did a Thomson trip every day as it was our first cruise and the first time in the Caribbean so everything was new to us. OK it cost a small fortune, but we enjoyed everything we did.

We are booked for January 2014 on another back to back, and will probably do Thomson on the Latin Gems one, but be more adventurous on the islands we did this year and try taxis.

I loved going in the catamarans and wondered if anyone has booked trips on these as an individual instead of with Thomson.

Did my first snorkling this year on a couple of trips - turtle one fantastic - and loved the experience.

More info please!

How to get there.

Where is it.

WHAT is it?? lol:)

Porlamar is the nearest main town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porlamar

You can get a taxi from the port (just past all the stalls). I believe it cost $60 for the taxi and we shared with another couple on the boat. There was a board up advertising the prices. The driver dropped us off and than hung around ( we paid him when we got back to the port).

If you like branded clothes, you will be in your element.

Tommy Hilfiger t shirts were around £15, sweaters £25 - and this was in their official store. There were shopping centres / brand stores - it is official merchandise.

My wife got some Armani perfume for £18. Nike running top £8

The challenge is to obtain the local currency. The exchange rate is around 17 Venezuelan Bolivar per US dollar - we obtained our currency in standard shops on recommendation of a local. Don't exchange too much as the locals (like taxi drivers) want the US dollar.

Worth doing a small amount of research on how the exchange works - there is an official rate / what it is actually worth.

Take a calculator so you can convert the labels in the shop.

May sound like a headache and would be if you were only saving 10%, but the savings are much more significant!

Great concise review. It was nice to read someone else had walked up to the cross in Dominica, We really enjoyed the stroll through town and the gardens and the view from up there was superb. Its a shame people dont walk more, like the people who get the lift for one floor! They miss so much. We usually get the water taxi to Grand Anse beach and weve never walked back but we have walked to the careenage from the boat which is a nice way to meet the locals. We go to Maho beach also but it was really busy this year as more and more people have read about it but we tend to get taxis as there are a few of us and sometimes it is so much easier to do this. On St Kitts we got a taxi to South Friars beach which was quite nice. On our last day, a Sunday, we got a minibus to Carlisle bay, where a bar was open, and enjoyed the sea for a couple of hours before leaving for the airport at 3.15pm. Well worth doing this rather than sitting about the ship thinking about the long flight home. Lastly if anyone is interested, there is a charity office opposite the police station in Roseau where I take biros and crayons for children. You dont need to take loads but they are grateful for anything.

Maybe someone who has recently been on the Dream can advise on what my husband should wear for dinner. I did start a thread but the replies were all different. He doesn't have a DJ or a suit, some have said a shirt and tie will be OK for the formal nights and an open neck shirt on others. Will this be alright or does he need a jacket???? Was hoping not to take one!!!!

We're not taking hubbies tux cos 20kilos is tricky enough. If we go to the formal night DH will wear a white shirt and tie. Most guys wear a jacket. Hope this helps.

On other nights, shirt, polo shirt, open-necked is fine. They want long trousers in the waiter service restaurants but shorts are ok in the buffets.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk.

Maybe someone who has recently been on the Dream can advise on what my husband should wear for dinner. I did start a thread but the replies were all different. He doesn't have a DJ or a suit, some have said a shirt and tie will be OK for the formal nights and an open neck shirt on others. Will this be alright or does he need a jacket???? Was hoping not to take one!!!!

Hi barkingmad

Dress code for cruising as stated in the Thomson brochure is:

"It's smart casual for evenings. For men that means full-length trousers and a polo or open-necked shirt. At the captain's cocktail party, the dress code is traditional dinner wear, so tuxedo or suit and tie for men and evening dress for women."

I think you said your husband did not have a suit or dinner jacket, however you said he had a jacket/blazer. This would be ok. My husband at one time always wore blazer and flannels. Too heavy to take his kilt outfit but after 20 years of cruising I managed to persuade him to try a dinner suit, which is lightweight, from Matalan and he loves it.:)

Archived