Christmas Information Needed!

momesu

My family will be on a RCI cruise over Christmas this year. I just discovered that we will be on Grand Cayman on Boxing Day. Does anyone know if things will be open then or do we need to be prepared for nothing to do? :confused: We were hoping to rent several cars and drive around the island visiting the Turtle Farm, Hell, and Rum Point.

Not sure, but I am sure you would be able to rent a car. Just check your time and distances, I am not sure how long you are in GC for. We rented a jeep and drove to Rum Point from the airport in Georgetown (see my thread "Rum Point-don't miss it"). It is a 45 min drive out to Rum Point alone. Hell and the Turtle Farm are on the Georgetown side of the island.

Rum Point is absolutely beautiful, it can be a whole day trip in itself. I've heard there is not much to see in Hell. I have heard the Turtle Farm is good though.

If you'd like me to email you some pics of Rum Point, email my personal address:

smdbelskis@prodigy.net

Michelle

Most businesses and banks will be closed but some shops may be opened while cruise ships in port. You can contact the Turtle Farm at info@turtle.ky to see if opened. Their website doesn't indicate if closed on holidays. Beaches, including Rum Point, always open.

Thank you Janet, I was afraid most things would be closed. :( I guess we will hope the weather is really nice and it will be a beach day. :cool: I hope consession standsat least are open there. :confused:

Thank you Janet, I was afraid most things would be closed. I guess we will hope the weather is really nice and it will be a beach day.

Momesu,

I know when my family and I were in Nassau, Bahamas for Christmas 2004, all the stores were closed! That was a bummer. We found one store that was open so my father was able to buy some souvenirs, since that was his first time to the Bahamas.

Can't speak to Grand Cayman, but we were on a 2003 Xmas-New Years cruise and had no real problems. Xmas eve Cozumel was Cozumel, and Xmas day in Belize was normal...we went on a snorkel excursion booked through the ship and it was great, Belize City could have been closed by and large, but the port area where the cruise ships tender was typical to the other times we've been there.

barefoot

We were in GC on New Year's Day, and although not everything was open, there were plenty of shops and restaurants open. One of the clerks told me that they were going to be open while the two ships were in port. Once they left, they were closing. So I'd say, you will probably find plenty of things to do... :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are also going to be in Grand Cayman, on Boxing Day, arriving on Norwegian Dawn. There will be a total of 5 ships stopping there on Boxing Day. Although banks and gov't offices may be closed, some shops will be open around the port. We have already booked the Buccaneer Catameran tour that goes to Stingray Sandbar that day, it's operated by Captain Brian's. Just check with the tour operator of your choice and see if they will be open. With 5 ships in port, I think many tours will be running...they wouldn't want to lose that much money!

Archived