Carnival Sunshine - To Spa Or Not?

TravisBickle

Good day,

wife and I had our first cruise on Carnival MAGIC this March. We are scheduled for a Europe cruise on SUNSHINE for October 2013.

Right now we are booked for cabin 7316 (had similar cabin on MAGIC and liked the location and layout). Now I am being tempted to change to a Cloud 9 Spa Balcony (not Suite) on Deck 12.

Should I change? I personally think 7316 would have a roomier layout AND I do not see myself getting any sort of massage. But I am uncertain if the Thalassotherapy pool is something I would enjoy (never been in one).

I did use the sauna a few times on MAGIC and would probably use that more due to the close proximity (I am guessing SUNSHINE's fitness center is on Deck 12. Any valid deck plans out there yet?)

The wife might do a wrap/facial or two but that is about it.

So, how about it? What types of pros and cons are out there that would help us decide (the new cabin would cost us about $350 more).

Thanks in advance

The sunshine isn't supposed to get a thalasso pool in their spa.

For me personally, I wouldn't do the spa on the Sunshine because of that. And I have had spa cabins on my 2 Dream cruises and will have one again on the Splendor this June.

Maggie

funny thing,

she only has ONE spa suite.

Aren't they supposed to have spa access?

If no thelasso- then the spa rooms and suite has access to what?

It looks like with the new deck plan update, they added 2 more Spa Suites on deck 12, so the Sunshine now has a total of three.

The Spa rooms have access to the Thermal Suites.

I don't understand why Carnival did not put a pool in the Spa on the Sunshine. You would think they would want to keep the Cloud 9 Spa experience as similar as possible across the fleet. I think not putting the pool on the Sunshine really devalues the Cloud 9 Spa.

I think it also leads to commonality issues. Someone has a spa cabin on say the Dream and they really like the pool and the thermal suites, so they book a cruise on the Sunshine in a spa cabin. But once they get on the ship, they may be disappointed when they find out there is no pool in the spa.

Lastly, I think there may be some complaints when the Sunshine comes out that the Spa does not have the pool. When you go to book a Spa cabin on the Sunshine, when you choose the cabin in the booking process, it gives you a notification that you are choosing a spa cabin that has access to the thermal suites and spa pool. I think there may be some people who are mad, when they get on the ship and find out that there is no pool.

Sorry, I kinda got a little off of topic.

Where did you find info about the pool? I thought I was the research queen, but everything I've seen says there will be one on the sunshine.

There is not a pool on the deck plans. Plus John Heald has verified that there will not be one on the Sunshine.

Where did you find info about the pool? I thought I was the research queen, but everything I've seen says there will be one on the sunshine.

Here is a post in the Carnival Funville forum posted by a Carnival staff member that says no thalasso pool on the Sunshine.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/p/224370/1170097.aspx

Maggie

• 1 month later...
No Thalasotherapy pool- to me the spa isn't worth it without that.

I agree, which is why we we like the Cloud 9 Spa on the Dream. The Freedom has a very nice hot tub, heated thalasso pool combo that is free, between the mens/ladies locker rooms...

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone had a spa suite or spa room on Sunshine yet?

Lookng for pics and updates!~ :)

I realize this thread is few weeks old, just hoping for some first hand information on what spa deck guests have access to that others do not.

Seriously considering switching from an interior spa to a deck 2 oceanview that is actually cheaper right now..need some opinions!

I realize this thread is few weeks old, just hoping for some first hand information on what spa deck guests have access to that others do not.

Seriously considering switching from an interior spa to a deck 2 oceanview that is actually cheaper right now..need some opinions!

Hello, I am just off of the SunshineMay 26 sailing and I was ni suite 12002. While it was quieter, I would never consider booking a spa cabin on the Sunshine again. First there are only 2 elevators on the ship that went to decks 11 and 12 and one of them was usually out of service most of the time. Not doing maintenance but just using them for other purposes.

As mentioned, there is no T-pool in the spa and many of the other services like Thermal suites and loungers were often very busy. I ended up getting a single massage to he tune of $210 and then came the hard sell for other products that would have been close to $400. Finally just had to walk away from the masseuse. I was never able to access the thermal suites other than one port day that I elected to stay on the ship and even then I had to wait.

There are some thicker towels and supposedly some higher end bath and shower products in the rooms but nothing really special. The one nice thing was a mini fridge. That came in handy.

If it were me, I would take the less expensive cabin and not worry about the spa services unless you believe you will be using them quite a bit. Even then you can purchase ap spa package if you want to. I think it was about $200 per couple for the cruise.

Jim

After a recent positive experience with another cruise line and since we live near Port Canaveral we will only cruise on the Dream or any future Carnival ship out of that port that has a Thallasotherapy pool. Otherwise the Spa package or Spa Suites are not worth it for us. Since we are not interested in most of the Caribbean ports and only sail from PC to relax in the T-pool and steam rooms we will save out cruise money for a ship that has the amenities that will provide the vacation we want regardless of the cruise line.

Cheers!

Hello, I am just off of the SunshineMay 26 sailing and I was ni suite 12002. While it was quieter, I would never consider booking a spa cabin on the Sunshine again. First there are only 2 elevators on the ship that went to decks 11 and 12 and one of them was usually out of service most of the time. Not doing maintenance but just using them for other purposes.

As mentioned, there is no T-pool in the spa and many of the other services like Thermal suites and loungers were often very busy. I ended up getting a single massage to he tune of $210 and then came the hard sell for other products that would have been close to $400. Finally just had to walk away from the masseuse. I was never able to access the thermal suites other than one port day that I elected to stay on the ship and even then I had to wait.

There are some thicker towels and supposedly some higher end bath and shower products in the rooms but nothing really special. The one nice thing was a mini fridge. That came in handy.

If it were me, I would take the less expensive cabin and not worry about the spa services unless you believe you will be using them quite a bit. Even then you can purchase ap spa package if you want to. I think it was about $200 per couple for the cruise.

Jim

Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to know. I think we may switch to an oceanview instead.

We were in 3 rooms on the 12th floor of the spa rooms on the 5/26 sailing. The other problem with the 12th floor is you hear all the chairs being moved around on the floor above in the Serenity area early in the morning. The elevator was a big problem. If I were you and going to the Mediteranean I would get a balcony cabin just for when you go through Venice. It's nice to sit in your balcony and have a glass of wine as the ship enters or leaves Venice. We brought wine in on every port and they never took any of the wine!

• 3 months later...

Jim

I just booked this exact room. I did it because DH likes the saunas, not a fan of the t pool. But it looks HUGE. Can you tell me about the size, layout, and the balcony in this room?? Thanks!

Archived