Sete on a Sunday

russ331

I'll be in Sete on June 2 (P&O Oriana).

Just wondering if Sete offers enough to do to occupy, say, 5 hours on a Sunday? Especially if the weather is changeable, e.g. showery.

Thanks. Russ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sete actually is a cute fishing village. You can certainly stroll around town and perhaps enjoy a very nice lunch in one of the cafes/restaurants. Unlike on your cruise, you can get excellent fresh seafood in Sete (there is rarely no such thing as "fresh" seafood on a cruise ship).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if Sete offers enough to do to occupy, say, 5 hours on a Sunday? Especially if the weather is changeable, e.g. showery.

Thanks. Russ.

Hi Russ: ironically guess what the French do all afternoon on Sunday?

They eat!,, Perfect for a cruise passenger.

This area is famous for Bouzigues oysters..fresh on the shell.

Also, depending on the time of year, there are wonderful sandy beaches along the coast in the direction of Spain.

Look up restaurants on a travel based site and if you can, reserve ahead. Tourist/resort things and restaurants and cafes will be the main attraction.

Thanks. Russ.

Hi,

we are also on this cruise (our 1st) and were wondering the same thing. Research suggests most shops will not be open, and the highlights of the town seem to be the cafe's that line the canalside.

Will do a bit more research but note that this is port where a tender is required, so a lot will depend on the weather.

Jason

Not sure if it would help if we shared a few observations having been to Sete, twice, on cruises and also having driven through the region on an extensive driving trip. We actually were supposed to be in Sete on a cruise last year, but the port was cancelled due to rough seas. We had reserved a rental car and had planned to drive to Carcasonne. In fact, going to Carcasonne (about a 1 1/2 hour drive) is probably the best option for this port. Other then Carcasonne, we would simply opt to enjoy a nice lunch in Sete.

Hank

Thanks. Russ.

Hi again, Russ.

I just looked on the French Entree website and discovered that our favorite fishing village in the Herault...MEZE...has a Sunday morning market. Take a taxi...15 minutes...after the market stop on the waterfront for some seafood.

If you are a Real oyster nut, there are stands along the main road that sell fresh oysters on the half shell. The famed oysters are Bouzigues, but that village just does wholesale as far as I can tell. My DH gets this excursion as my birthday present every Oct.

This is real France, yes, tourists go to MEZE, but French tourists.

Be sure that you either keep the taxi or can find a taxi back to ship.

The oysters are harvested in l'Etang de Thau, just behind Sete.

Archived