Train from Marseille to Paris/Disembarkation

Thebox

Hi all. We are scheduled to arrive at the Marseille port at 8 AM at the end of our cruise. We are planning to take the tgv to Paris at that point, but don't know how long it will take to disembark, travel from the port to the tgv station in Marseille - and how far in advance of the train leaving to arrive.

In short, if we're docking in Marseille at 8, which train should I book to Paris? Can I make a 10:30 AM train or should I book an 11:30 AM train?

Thanks for your help!

Hi. Hoping someone can be of help. If ship docks at 8 AM, would I be able to disembark and make a tgv train to Paris at 10:30? Other option is a 1:30 train. Anyone know if I'd have trouble making the earlier train? Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. Hoping someone can be of help. If ship docks at 8 AM, would I be able to disembark and make a tgv train to Paris at 10:30? Other option is a 1:30 train. Anyone know if I'd have trouble making the earlier train? Thank you!

Give yourself the extra time as the TGV station is not Gare St. Charles in the city but rather just before you get to Marseille airport.

The one questionI can t answer is from port to TGV shuttle but worse case scenario is to go to the airport where there will be a TGV shuttle. Taxi would be tres Cher.

Be sure to purchase your TGV ticket in advance or if you Have a rail pass, you MUST reserve a seat in advance. These trains are capacity controlled.

I use voyages-sncf.com but there is a site in English If you have Adobe installed.

Also in a pinch if your cruise line has shuttles to Gare St Charles, there will be a cheap shuttle to the TGV station from there.

MaisonRose - I read your response about the TGV in Marseille...I just checked my tickets and we are traveling from Paris (CDG) to Marseille St Charles station...Are you sure the TGV does not go to Gare St Charles?

MaisonRose - I read your response about the TGV in Marseille...I just checked my tickets and we are traveling from Paris (CDG) to Marseille St Charles station...Are you sure the TGV does not go to Gare St Charles?

I think I got it wrong and I apologize. There is a TGV that goes downtown.

The ones that do not go to St Charles have a 12 min connection.

I can t speak to whether that is a bus or metro/ but for example if you were ticketed to Avignon Gare (as opposed to Avignon TGV) then you arrive at the suburban station and are shuttled free to the downtown station. If your ticket says Avignon TGV then you have to pay for the shuttle..but not much.

Rail Europe has a good site that answers almost every question about the TGV.

One thing for sure, taking that trip is a fantastic experience and will make you an advocate for high speed rail in the USA.

Oh, one warning: be ready to disembark when your station is announced since the train only stays in the station a few minutes!

Thank you for clearing that up for us...first time in France...we are boarding the train after our overseas AF flight....spending three nights at the Radisson hotel in Marseille...Planning on visiting Notre Dame...any other suggestions for a short day trip ...hope we will be able to get a cab when we return to Marseille to get to the train

In your research, were you able to find out approximately what the taxi fare should be from the port to Gare St Charles when we disembark? So little info on embarking/disembarking in Marseille available! Thanks for any info you can share.

Thank you for clearing that up for us...first time in France...we are boarding the train after our overseas AF flight....spending three nights at the Radisson hotel in Marseille...Planning on visiting Notre Dame...any other suggestions for a short day trip ...hope we will be able to get a cab when we return to Marseille to get to the train

Gosh, I love that region so much that I humbly get a lump in my throat just thinking about the opportunities.

1 Look on trip advisor and yelp sor a place to have boulliabaisse Local fish soup served with garlic mayo and crusty French bread. I actually don't like it because of the rustic quality...bones, fish heads, the way it is supposed to be) but I adore the liquid purée form of it that is served first.

The best restaurant in Marseille ( mar-say) is Le Petit Nice (v expensive ). Don t eat at places where waiters try to lure you in...one st back from the fish mkt side of the port. BTW..France has great main course salads at reasonable prices, and a glass of wine is half the price of a coke. The cheapest coffee is called a noisette with some milk, and in cafe is an expresso. Cafe au lait and cappuccino cost about 3 50 to 4 euros so be sure to linger. For water just ask for un verre (vair) d'eau. Said like. Vair dough. Always always greet anyone waiting on you...bakery, concierge, waiter with a big BONJOUR. Smiling is not recommended, you want a Frenchman to take you seriously!

The tourist office is on the corner of the main st. Running up to the train station, on the right. Galleries Lafayette dept store is almost across the st. Marseille is the European city of culture this year and they have a special website...there is I note a major Impressionist art exhibit (I have already ordered tickets..be careful, there is one in Aix and the other is in Marseiłle). Goggle Marseiłle European culture in English to browse the many websites.

There are many must see places in Provence, Arles, founded by the Romans and famous for its connection to Van Gogh (none of his paintings there), Avignon, a medieval walled city on the Rhone with the Palais de Pape..the French pope.

But my favorite is Aix en Provence, an elegant university town with one of France's most iconic boulevards, the Cours Mirabeau...perfectly photogenic.

On my roll call, Celebrity Reflection, April 20transatlantic, I wrote a long description for someone wanting to go to Aix during our pause at Toulon.

You can take a train from Marseille to Aix and the Aix station is walking distance to La Rotunde, the huge fountain at the end of the Cours. The new tourist office is in the modern shopping center at the opposite end..if the Cours is six o'clock, the office de tourism is at noon. The old center of Aix goes up the street at five o'clock. There are cheap jitneys right there. Say La Post, it will get you close enough) .

There are buses to Aix from Marseiile. Ask at the Mrs. Tourist Office.

In your research, were you able to find out approximately what the taxi fare should be from the port to Gare St Charles when we disembark? So little info on embarking/disembarking in Marseille available! Thanks for any info you can share.

Hi my guide to Aix is comment 2758 on the roll call

Celebrity Reflection 20 April 2013 transatlantic..hope you can find it.

The market, which has everything from olives to linen slacks, is held Thursday and Saturday mornings ...try to be there early as it is worth it...assuming that you can make it one of those days.

Unless you are a total Cezanne freak, don t take time to visit his atelier..it is out of way. The musee Granet, one block off the Cours, across the st from Les Deux Garcons, has the other big art exhibition I mentioned. If you don t have tickets, go early and get a reservation. Having said all this, just walking around Aix doing nothing is a sufficient way to enjoy Provence!

MaisonRose...Thank you for all the info...Is the Market in Aix...Does Marseille have a market?

Marseille strret market: Friday in Castellane and at Place Jean Jaures

This is where you can use the tourist office for special directions (I am not sure where Castellane is located).

Marseille is in the Bouches du Rhone department 13..which is a government unit similar to a State. The region is called PACA. Meaning Provence AlpesCote d'Azur.

Knowing this when you are googling something is useful. My search brought up provence web.fr. There are huge numbers of ex-pat English speakers in Provence with great websites serving that community.

Archived