Moorea Advice

lovetotravel68

We will be staying at the Hilton in Moorea for 4 days pre cruise plus visiting again for 2 days while oboard the PG. We were wanting to do an ATV safari and were considering 'Trail of the Ancients' also.

Will we be visiting the same areas/lookouts twice on these two excursions? I saw that they both go to the agricultural school...

If anyone has any other suggestions of what we could do while on Moorea that would be great (we were thinking dolphin watching with Poole and a jet ski tour) :D

Yes you would be visiting some of the same places on those 2 tours.

Dolphin watching with Poole is a good choice

Rent a car, go take in a few places on your own. The bakery, pearl shopping, the long public beach next to the Sofitel, lagoon aquarium on the east side, visit the small villages on the south side, stop at Tiki Village, go have lunch at Les Tipaniers and enjoy the view. This is only a handful of things to do ;)

Unless you really enjoy the ATV type activity I would recommend trail of the ancients. It has all the views but is also lead by Mark Eddowes so is a cultural tour as well.

You get a lot of sea and mountain on this trip so this excursion rounds it out.

Whenever you see Mark Eddows, that is the excursion you want.

Michael Poole is a good choice too. If it was a choice of one or the other, go with Trails of the Ancients. If you can do both, so much the better.

Best advice however is to not OVER-do the excursions. You will need a vacation after your vacation!

Moorea isn't that large, most on island tours will "repeat" the road up to the Belvedere, which passes by the marae (temple ruins) and the agricultural school, so you will have overlap.

Based on their talks, I'd do the trail of the ancients, you will still see those locations, but you will get the excellent benefit of a working archeologist to put it all in context. ( we missed the tour due to weather, a great regret since Marls talk was fantastic)

For water excursions, you have more options since they do different things. You could double up here and get different experiences. Again, based on his talk, I would not miss Michael Pooles whale and Dolphin watch ( yes, we missed this one too due to,weather:() But you could do another snorkel or jet ski tour and have a different experience on another day.

So if it were me I'd do multiple water excursions, but just chose one island excursion, and I'd choose Marks trip!

Lucky you having so many days, you won't get stuck like we did missing the best parts!

Thank you for all your advice - you are all so helpful :)

Do you think if we did both the ATV tour and Trail of the Ancients it would be too repetitive? My fiance is really keen on the ATV and I am keen on the Ancients tour (haha) :D

P.S - noted about needing a holiday after our holiday. It seems to be common occurance with me! Seeing as it's our honeymoon I'll try my best not to overdo the excursions ;)

Archived