What if stranded and will not fly

Georgeny

Have seen many passport questions on DREAM situation and such but I wonder what if you are stranded somewhere and you will not fly? I have a friend that refuses to fly and now in 60's never as and never will. How do they get home from a ship stranding on an island? Will the line make arrangements for you to board another ship stopping at the island. Surely it must come up when theses things happen.

Have seen many passport questions on DREAM situation and such but I wonder what if you are stranded somewhere and you will not fly? I have a friend that refuses to fly and now in 60's never as and never will. How do they get home from a ship stranding on an island? Will the line make arrangements for you to board another ship stopping at the island. Surely it must come up when theses things happen.

From Carnival's facebook:

"Guests began disembarking the ship this morning to board flights scheduled for today, and will continue to do so throughout the weekend. We are working to try to accommodate special requests from guests, including those who asked to remain on board longer."

So maybe they would put them on another ship, but they may not reach back to their original port. Or maybe Carnival thinks this can be fixed in a short manner. Who knows.

There's always a chance that you will have to fly because that may be the only way to get home. Your friend should realize that sometimes there are no other options.

As someone who used to have a fear of flying - and there are still situations that I WILL NOT fly (snow/ice, small plane), I can tell you that you cannot just *realize* that you have to get over it!

I started cruising because it was a way for me to travel without flying. I have no idea what I would do if I was in that situation when I refused to fly.

If you absolutely refuse to fly, I don't think you should be getting on a large boat that goes to islands. Stick to land vacations that you can drive to. What if you were having a heart attack and needed to be flown to a hospital or medivac'd from the ship?

I hate to fly but love to travel so its a necessary evil.

Xanex worked for me. I went to the doctor for a script because i did not want to pass my fears onto my kids. So far it has worked.

I feel horrible for anyone who feels like they are now forced to fly if they are scared. Its torture the whole time....turbulance was the thing for me that would put me over the edge. I have sweaty palms just thinking about it.

There are some people who have medical conditions that prohibit them from flying at all. A friend of mine has a grown son with a serious heart condition and he cannot fly at all because of it. Something to do with the pressurization in the plane when it is coming in for landing.

There are Carnival ships calling on st Martin frequently.

They will just load those folks up and haul them somewhere.

On one of the ships and I think it may have been Holiday I noticed that the couches in the library were hide a beds.

I never saw anyone sleeping there, but those hide a beds were there for some reason.

Well I'm with the people that state if you can't or won't fly, probably a ship that is not traveling up the coast of the mainland is not really a sound decision. And even then if you had to be flown from the ship for a medical emergency, probably not a good idea at all.

Can they force you...no. You do have an option, the option is most likely yes or no to air travel.

If this happens to someone I would be interested to hear how they handle it. You can't stay on the island, they will not let you indefinitely. I would think someone had to suck it up and do it, but if you had a medical condition that made it dangerous to fly I guess you would have to stay on the ship. It will come back eventually but then I think one would run into the problem of medications running out.

I wonder what if you are stranded somewhere and you will not fly? I have a friend that refuses to fly and now in 60's never as and never will. How do they get home from a ship stranding on an island?

If you're that phobic, then you better be rich. Cause chartering a yacht is really expensive.

Alternatively, you could retire to said island, effective immediately. :p

From Carnival's facebook:

"Guests began disembarking the ship this morning to board flights scheduled for today, and will continue to do so throughout the weekend. We are working to try to accommodate special requests from guests, including those who asked to remain on board longer."

So maybe they would put them on another ship, but they may not reach back to their original port. Or maybe Carnival thinks this can be fixed in a short manner. Who knows.

I would be one of the people asking if I could just stay on the ship. Not because I fear flying, but because I would LOVE to be "stuck" in St. Maarten and come back just whenever they could fix the ship! :)

A person this bad would have to stick to land vacations because there are no alternatives sometimes. Same with the person who can not fly because of a heart condition - land vacations would be the only options. Anything can happen at anytime and those with these conditions have to be prepared and make informed choices and not think it won't happen to them.

Me too!

I have a terrible fear of flying - that's why I cruise, however I am aware of the risk that I may get stranded and have to fly. I will be getting a scrip for my next vacation "just in case". I am self-employed - so if there is any way I could just wait it out and come back on a ship, scrip or not, I would take that method! Especially as I understand in St. Maartin they still had wifi - I always wanted to do that thing of working from the beach! I take my tablet, but no I don't work on vacation - it is my one time to say, no, I am really not available!

I have a fear of flying. This is not going to change and it's not something that I can just "get over" and get on a plane. When I was 10 years old, I had a VERY bad experience flying and will NEVER set foot on a plane again. I hope those individuals who say to just "get over it" never experience a fear of something and then be forced to do it!

I have a fear of flying. This is not going to change and it's not something that I can just "get over" and get on a plane. When I was 10 years old, I had a VERY bad experience flying and will NEVER set foot on a plane again.

Then you had best never cruise anywhere you can't drive home from!

Archived