Carnival Hires New Global IT - SVP

sanmarcosman

Seriously?? With Carnival's known history of having issues with their website you really think it's because people are refusing to upgrade their "retro" systems? Hmmm I'm currently on the newest IPad and can't get the fare viewer to work. I also have Windows 8 on my brand new desk top, Windows 7 on my laptop, Android Jelly Bean on my dh's tablet and not one of those systems will work with Carnival's fare viewer! Is there a system out there that I'm not aware of? I haven't had XP in years! :eek:

The fare viewer IS broken - for about two months now - they keep promising on carnival forums they are getting them fixed. Otherwise I have no issue with Chrome on IE9/Windows 7. As far as Firefox and IE I have them to troubleshoot / check out web designs after I make em' but don't use them.

A few years ago, some of Carnival's Miami corporate peeps were onboard a ship, and one of the Info Technology heads was doing a presentation, and having an open discussion about the CCL web site. Despite multiple passengers mentioning multiple challenges on multiple portions of the site, there was a comment made about the majority certainly being "user error". The mood of those users was not encouraged by that statement.

When that gathering was over, most in attendance had to pass by the ship's Fun Hub . . . only to discover that 'someone' had logged each and every computer to the Carnival web site, which was still having a multi-day challenge, and every single screen showed the Error message.

Dude%20Error%201-L.jpg

Dude%20Error%203-L.jpg

Dude%20Error%202-L.jpg

Quite a few people took pictures at this Fun Ship Photo Op. :D

That's hilarious! A picture is worth a thousand words.

"Betcha" they didn't even notice what was displayed on the screens in their Fun Hub.

The fare viewer IS broken - for about two months now - they keep promising on carnival forums they are getting them fixed. Otherwise I have no issue with Chrome on IE9/Windows 7. As far as Firefox and IE I have them to troubleshoot / check out web designs after I make em' but don't use them.

Correct and they don't even put an "out of order" or similar message on the fare viewer page so we are forced to input all the information to see if they've fixed it.

"Betcha" they don't care to do their job right.

Carnival's website is an embarrassment for a major corporation. Here's hoping they finally get it working.

As for the ID-10T comment, I don't think so. I am computer savvy, and have trouble with the carnival website whenever I use Chrome (on Windows 7 and 8, mind you). It works okay (but not perfectly) for Internet Exploder, but IE is just an awful piece of software and I refuse to use it.

It's not more expensive to maintain a working and well-designed website, and it's stupid that Carnival can't pull theirs together.

Carnival's website is an embarrassment for a major corporation. Here's hoping they finally get it working.

As for the ID-10T comment, I don't think so. I am computer savvy, and have trouble with the carnival website whenever I use Chrome (on Windows 7 and 8, mind you). It works okay (but not perfectly) for Internet Exploder, but IE is just an awful piece of software and I refuse to use it.

It's not more expensive to maintain a working and well-designed website, and it's stupid that Carnival can't pull theirs together.

Too true, one of my biggest complaints with Carnival. I have seen some amazing instances of incompetence among IT departments, but Carnival's is one of the worst.

I've been in IT since it was invented, and agree that their website is a complete embarrassment. I find the multiple things that are broken continuously simply amazing; the fact that these things continue to be like that every day (for example, the home page in Chrome not pulling its CSS, or the fare viewer not working at all for weeks at a time) shows that there is a lack of direction and control in the department responsible.

It has to be run by someone's uncle or something.

Kevin C

There is so much more to IT than a website. I'd say you're all dreaming if you think that's at the top of the list.

Hmmm - doesn't the website drive revenue? Especially since Carnival is not so Travel Agent friendly - it seems their scheme is to have most customers book directly - the easiest way is through the website. Pretty sure it ought to be a priority.

Hmmm - doesn't the website drive revenue? Especially since Carnival is not so Travel Agent friendly - it seems their scheme is to have most customers book directly - the easiest way is through the website. Pretty sure it ought to be a priority.

This!

I remember when the web site was useful. They actually posted GOOD pictures of the areas on the ships instead of that awful carousel. It's so tough to get good information on the current site that it really should be up for a good, working and informative web site.

As for it not working correctly it certainly is hit or miss. I did have to clear my IE cache to fix issues though I mostly use Chrome. IE simply does not play nice. IE 10 which was supposed to be better...isn't. It broke my own business web site. So now I have to fix it. :(

Most browsers that are based on webkit are much more compatible than IE is. Microsoft should know better than to put out a garbage browser.

The pages for the ships are the WORST!!!! I hate having to flip through all that crap to find the thing I am looking for!

I should be able to easily find what all restaurants or types of food are available on each ship - instead they give you a generic blurb.

Hear, hear! Someone called it "that awful carousel" and I heartily agree.

Add to that that the deck plans are just hard to deal with and small....I just use a different cruise website for that, since their deck plans are much bigger and easier on the eyes.

I won't even mention Fareviewer....or the fact that none of the ports show up under Excursions for my cruise except Miami.

Carnival's website was so intimidating (and kept popping up error screens) that a co-worker gave up and booked his cruise on RCCL. Sure, IT is much more than a website, but when trying to book a cruise and hearing "Your wait time is 70 minutes," your website had BETTER be able to step up to the challenge....and CCL's can't.

I work at one of the largest call-center operations on planet Earth, and this is our busiest time of year...and even WE don't have wait times that long!

Archived