New kind of Price drop question

We are sailing in May. I originally booked early saver. During their "Save Big" sale, I upgraded from an interior to a balcony and used the Past guest rate to figure the price difference because it was the cheapest.

I paid in full last week, as required.

Now......if there are price drops before I sail, can I do anything? Does it have to be BEFORE you are paid in full, does it have to be EARLY saver?

Can I get onboard credit if I compare past guest rates?

We are sailing in May. I originally booked early saver. During their "Save Big" sale, I upgraded from an interior to a balcony and used the Past guest rate to figure the price difference because it was the cheapest.

I paid in full last week, as required.

Now......if there are price drops before I sail, can I do anything? Does it have to be BEFORE you are paid in full, does it have to be EARLY saver?

Can I get onboard credit if I compare past guest rates?

Once Early Saver, always Early Saver. However, since you upgraded yourself from inside to balcony, I would assume you're now price-matching to your new rate on balcony. Check with Carnival to make sure you are still Early Saver. I "assume" you still are.

ES can give you credit up till 2 days of sailing.Everything else up till final.

Actually I don't think that's totally true. Some of the new rates (12/3/12) have absolutely no changes allowed & deposits that are non-refundable. This especially applies to the new Super Saver rate.

Update: Called....apparently, when we upgraded to the balcony, I switched to a past guest rate.(I knew this - it was a lot cheaper). Since I did that, I do not qualify for price drops or OBC.

Since I am past the final payment date, I cannot cancel & rebook.

I had hoped since I was 'past guest rate' and there was specifically a 'past guest sale', we'd get something.....

Simply, Carnival said we do not qualify. :( We would have saved $440 between the 2 cabins.

Update: Called....apparently, when we upgraded to the balcony, I switched to a past guest rate.(I knew this - it was a lot cheaper). Since I did that, I do not qualify for price drops or OBC.

I had hoped since I was 'past guest rate' and there was specifically a 'past guest sale', we'd get something.....

Simply, Carnival said we do not qualify. :( We would have saved $440 between the 2 cabins.

So let me see if I understand this correctly... The whole "once ES, always ES" thing only happens when you apply a price drop to lower your total due at final payment. If, after final payment, you decide to change to a different cabin, that cabin has to be a different rate type bc Early Saver disappears after final payment is due. Therefore, anyone who changes cabins after final payment must give up their ES rights to getting OBC because there is no way their new cabin could be booked at an ES rate? Is that right? If so, I guess it makes more sense to upgrade cabins now while ES is still available so at least you still get the chance for OBC down the road.

that's total BS! Call back and talk to someone else or submit the early saver price drop form.

There was another poster about a month ago that switched to easy saver rate and they told him the same thing. he pushed on and got it resolved.

A lot of CCL reps have no clue. I can't blame them as CCL continually changes the rules and i think that the CVS's get little training.

Bill

Ok....called our PVP. Funny, I didn't even know we had one. I booked partially online (until I hit a glitch) for one room then had to call carnival to book the second. After I upgraded our cabins to balcony, he called.

I decided after talking to the regular Carnival rep this morning, I'd try the PVP. He called back very quickly. Since I did not book with him (didn't know he existed) he cannot do anything. Next time, if I book with him, he can take care of everything, including price drop forms.

He said "Once you book early saver, you are always early saver". Just as a previous poster said. Even though I switched to a different rate when I upgraded, we are still eligible for price drops "As long as it is a qualifying rate'. Clear as mud.

I'm trying to get the drop for past guest comparing to a past guest sale rate. We'll see.

Ok....called our PVP. Funny, I didn't even know we had one. I booked partially online (until I hit a glitch) for one room then had to call carnival to book the second. After I upgraded our cabins to balcony, he called.

I decided after talking to the regular Carnival rep this morning, I'd try the PVP. He called back very quickly. Since I did not book with him (didn't know he existed) he cannot do anything. Next time, if I book with him, he can take care of everything, including price drop forms.

He said "Once you book early saver, you are always early saver". Just as a previous poster said. Even though I switched to a different rate when I upgraded, we are still eligible for price drops "As long as it is a qualifying rate'. Clear as mud.

I'm trying to get the drop for past guest comparing to a past guest sale rate. We'll see.

You didnt switch to a different rate--you just price matched against it. When you're ES, you can price match against any rate you quaify for; that simply means that to price match against the Past Guest rate, you have to be a past guest. I've gotten more than $2,500 in fare drops for my upcoming cruise and they've all been price matched against the Past Guest fare, but that doesn't change my booking--I'm still booked ES.

Hope that helped clarify and didn't make it even muddier. :p

I just got this morning 20 dollars and moved from an interior to an OCEANVIEW and I booked past guest rate after final payment

Archived