Which one...Jewel or Indy??

I would just like to know what you all think about either of the Jewel or the Indy. I'm having a really hard time trying to decide what to book!! Help!!:confused: I read the boards alot so maybe you can help me decide.

We have a family of 4, my, my hubby, & two boys. We have only sailed RCCL once and it was on the Freedom and loved it!

This is what I'm looking at:

Indy

6 nights out of Fort Laud.

Feb 2014

2 Promanade cabins (connecting)

Western

OR

Jewel of the Seas

7 nights out of San Juan

Feb 2014

Balcony cabin (all together)

Southern

The prices are pretty close to the same. We loved the Freedom, the size, layout, ect so I'm thinking the Indy, but then it would be kinda fun to be on a different ship too so it's all new and not the same!

Is the Jewel too small after being on the Freedom size?? Anyone have experience with their kids being on the Jewel and the teen club?

Tanks for any help you can offer!! Just alittle confused on what to do.

Thanks...Linda:)

If your kids loved Freedom, they would love her almost-identical twin, I should think. Also, air to San Juan is likely to be more expensive than to FLL.

I would much rather have 2 connecting cabins than a single balcony for 4.

If you're sailing for the itinerary, Jewel's is more interesting (to me), but if you're sailing for the ship, with 2 teenaged boys, I think Indy would be the better choice.

Depends on your preferences. My son never goes to the kid/teen clubs, however he prefers the SMALLER ships! I took him on a Voyager class ship for his high school graduation and was shocked when he said - after the ice skating, ice show, Royal Promenade, etc., - that he liked the smaller ships better. I thought, like most parents probably do, that he'd like the ship with more WOW! factor.

Itinerary of the Jewel is FAR better. My only hesitation in recommending it over the Indy is that your family loved the Freedom. Jewel is a LOT different. Indy is...well, the same!

Jewel has a much smaller main pool area. If you LOVE swimming in the pool, this could be a down-side.

Jewel has OUTDOOR dining at the Windjammer, which is a HUGE plus. So nice to eat breakfast on deck and watch the ship pull into port!

Jewel has no Royal Promenade. I love the RP, but I also love the fact that the smaller Radiance class ships have more INTIMATE activities. The Quest Game in the Safari Lounge - in my opinion - is FAR superior to the one in Studio B.

Your family will need to decide whether more sea days and innovative ship features or a more port-intensive itinerary is better for you.

Sometimes, that's difficult to know until you try them both. I expected to be disappointed by my first Radiance class cruise, thinking it was something of a down-grade after Voyager and Freedom class. I was wrong. I found I PREFERRED the smaller ships and I REALLY prefer LOTS of ports of call. Others have different opinions.

Let us know what you decide.

My DH puts it this way: "If you like to feel you are on a ship and not at the mall, choose the Jewel." He hates the Promenade and loves all the glass on the Jewel. The Jewel is a prettier ship but it is considerably smaller than the Indy. I like them both for different reasons -- many already listed.

Having been on Freedom and Jewel, I think I would choose the larger ship. Since we live near Tampa we have sailed on the Jewel 3x. But next time we will drive a little further and go on one of the Freedom class ships. The Jewel is really beautiful but just doesn't offer the fun the bigger ships do. I like deck parties and outdoor activities and all of the Jewel's parties are in the atrium and extreemly crowded. We went with the same group of friends on both the Jewel and the Navigator and we all had a better time on Navigator. I am in my 60's but so was over 70% of the passengers on the Jewel, each time we have gone on that class ship it seems to be the case. We have been on the Radiance and our first cruise was on Brilliance. Don't get me wrong I had a good time on all 3 ships just enjoy the diversity of the Freedom class and what they offer.

We have been on all 3 Freedom class ships and Jewel's sister, the Serenade. Since I consider my husband to be a bit of a teenager, I will give you his opinion....the Indy. It is our favorite class ship, and although I LOVE the Radiance class, the Centrum is a bit confining to my husband.

The itinerary is great on the Jewel, although port intensive, so it is a matter of which kind of cruise you want. I was a bit bored by the Indy's ports, but then again, I've been there a bunch :p

Good luck with your decision...either way, I think you will have an amazing time!

ps. Rednancy1, the OP did not ask about taking their children to Quest, that was an aside from Printingchick.

Why would you take your children to Quest? If I misunderstood I apologize. :)

If that was intended for me, I didn't. Not until my "children" were 18 and 22.;)

Regarding the comment that there is more going on during the day on the larger ships, that may be true, however the OP is looking at an itinerary with FIVE port days and only ONE sea day, so this really isn't much of a consideration. There's plenty of activities to fill up one sea day.

If your kids loved Freedom, they would love her almost-identical twin, I should think. Also, air to San Juan is likely to be more expensive than to FLL.

I would much rather have 2 connecting cabins than a single balcony for 4.

If you're sailing for the itinerary, Jewel's is more interesting (to me), but if you're sailing for the ship, with 2 teenaged boys, I think Indy would be the better choice.

This comment nails it. The Radiance Class are great ships but can be boring for kids. Freedom Class are more kid friendly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived