QM2 TA Newbie questions- exercise

Hawaii136

Hi-

Starting to get excited. :) DH and I are on May 3 NY to Southampton crossing.This is our first crossing/cruise ever! At home we walk for exercise and plan to do the same on the ship.

1. Can we do a loop outside (weather permitting?) Deck 7?

2. What do people wear while walking for exercise? shorts? yoga pants? sweats?

3. I know it could be brisk walking outside- we are following this crossing with lots of europe travels, so need to pack as light as possible. Would it be weird to be seen walking around on deck in my lined trench coat? (don't want to bring my fleece if not needed)

4. Can we wear bathrobes over swim suits to get to the hot tub/pool?

Hi-

Starting to get excited. :) DH and I are on May 3 NY to Southampton crossing.This is our first crossing/cruise ever! At home we walk for exercise and plan to do the same on the ship.

1. Can we do a loop outside (weather permitting?) Deck 7?

2. What do people wear while walking for exercise? shorts? yoga pants? sweats?

3. I know it could be brisk walking outside- we are following this crossing with lots of europe travels, so need to pack as light as possible. Would it be weird to be seen walking around on deck in my lined trench coat? (don't want to bring my fleece if not needed)

4. Can we wear bathrobes over swim suits to get to the hot tub/pool?

1. Yes

2. Realistically they wear whatever they want including your examples

3. It would be a little weird but weird is often good

4. I have seen this done and assuming that your path takes you along corridors rather than through public rooms etc you should be fine.

I love to do a couple of laps every morning. If the weather is not so good, it's particularly enjoyable--the brisk north Atlantic winds (in late autumn) really wake one up. I would walk a mile (I think) and then add a lap for every dessert and every drink I had the day before.

I wore exercise pants (or jeans) but other wore sweat pants, yoga pants, etc. (No shorts, but it was pretty cold when I was aboard.) Anything you would wear to jog you can wear on the promenade deck.

I wore a trench coat on deck--it was perfectly fine (but not while walking/jogging). I would have if I needed to, though. I only brought that trench coat as my outdoor/bad weather coat (how many coats can one pack?) and it worked out fine for me.

I don't see anything wrong with wearing a bathrobe over a swimsuit, but on the 2 crossings I was on it was too cold for swimming/sunning, so I can't comment on what people would wear over swimsuits.

I think 3 laps equals 1 mile on QM2. We did our 3 laps after breakfast every day. Usually wore joggers and a light jacket/fleece as it was pretty chilly in mid-April when we went.

We also put our bathrobes over our swimmers to test out the jacuzzi and pool. I was a great, if damn cold, experience. The pool & jacuzzi were warm enough but the bit in between was cold!

Enjoy, she's a lovely ship.

I would definitely think 'layers' for deck/exercise wear to be able to adapt to the unpredictable weather which can be encountered on the crossing.

We found November (2011) 2 or 3 days of sun warm enough to lay out and swim - on other occasions June/July have encountered a mixture of fog/gales with some sun thrown in. Can be a real 'mixed bag'!

As Bispham Boo says QM2 is a lovely ship and hope you enjoy the crossing whatever the weather.

Archived