Inexpensive/free activities in St. Thomas?

midtown_girl

My honey and I are honeymooning on the Sun Princess in October, and stopping in St. Thomas. In exchange for upgrading to a 10-day cruise, I promised to find us inexpensive or free things to do while in port.

We're active 30-somethings and would love to find things to do off the beaten path; something other than your typical bus tour. We're fond of hiking, beaching, snorkeling, kayaking, and my hubby-to-be is an avid fly fisherman and *may* bring a rod with him if there's a good place to use it.

Any ideas for things to do that won't cost more than $25 or so? Thanks!!

Jen

Carnival Glory 12/6/03

Sun Princess 10/13/04

If you want to go over to St John, there are many free trails to go hiking on, and only Trunk Bay charges the $4 on St John if you are looking for beach time. Hiking: http://www.*****/stjohn/nationalpark/activities.php But then you are spending money on transportation to get there (cab/ferry). However, the money you spend will be worth it! icon_smile.gif

The www.***** website also has many suggestions of activities to do in addition to hiking.

Have a wonderful honeymoon!

~ Mandy

NCL Sky 12/2000 - Western Caribbean

Celebrity Galaxy 12/2001 - Southern Caribbean

S/S Norway 03/2003 wedding cruise - Eastern Caribbean

~~~~ Married on the beach in St John! ~~~~

HAL ms Maasdam 11/23/2003 - Western Caribbean

Another option is Water Island... you can take a taxi to the ferry in Subbase at Crown Bay Marina and then the fery over... hike around a bit, have lunch and then lay on the beach for a few hours. Not a free trip but not expensive and its off the beaten path.

For totally free you could walk into town and see the historic sites and then for a few dollars try and figure out the bus route and take the bus to University and go to Brewers Bay for a swim, grab some pates (a local food) from the street vendors in the vans at the beach for a couple dollars and then take the bus back to town and walk back to the ship. The walking part is not long but long enough and quite hot.

St. John would be another option; you would spend $$ of the taxi and ferry though. But then could hike the trail right from Cruz Bay to Honeymoon and spend some time there.

--Islander

Hello,

Yes they are unreliable not with breakdowns with being late and not having a clear schedule or any schedule posted at the bus stops. But from town to UVI is a straight shot so shouldn't be to difficult just ask other people at the bus stop which one to get on and then ask the bus driver what time the return buses to town come by (be there before that time) and also ask which bus stop to stand at to get back. I don't usually recommend the bus for cruise ship visitors but from town to UVI area as mentioned is not far and doesn't require changing buses. But keep in mind the bus system has issues so a taxi would get you there quicker and without waiting around so might be worth the $ ... only recommended the bus because you said budget day/free.

I thought of another option that might be better for you - you can take a taxi from Havensight to Frenchmans Reef and Morningstar Resorts... it should be around $5 each person one way. You can walk around Frenchmans Reef Resort property and down to the beach or just get dropped off at Morningstar Resort and Beach directly. Save on lunch by bringing something with you from the ship (if that is allowed??).

--Islander

[This message was edited by The Islander on 05-30-04 at 02:06 AM.]

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure whether the ship and/or the island "allows" you to bring anything for lunch and snacks off the ship. However, we do it all the time. When it comes to food I'm not adventuresome and eating in these foreign ports makes me nervous. Also, sometimes we just want a quick lunch while we are on the run and a sandwich is much easier than finding a restaurant. I bring zip locks with me on the cruise for this exact purpose. We'll often rent mountain bikes and go off exploring so it's more convenient (and fun!) to have an impromptu picnic somewhere.

We either order room service that a.m. or the night before (late) before we go to bed. We're usually out until midnight at least and order when we return to the room (assuming we have a mini fridge in our room). If we don't have a fridge then we order in the a.m. Order early as room service is always slower during the main dining times.

Another option instead of room service is the breakfast buffet. They always have breads available for toast. They also usually have various cold meats you can put on bagels, etc....Combine the two and voila - you have lunch!

Archived