Magnifying Glass Syndrome

thatsonofa

Is it just me or do others feel like the only reason we are hearing so much about issues with Carnival ships is because of social media and the need for the media to latch onto a big company like Carnival to make them look like a villain? It just seems like the media is always targeting the largest companies in each industry, when they have the same day to day issues as smaller companies, but because of the company's size they are a bigger target for scrutiny....

I do not doubt that the issues with the ships are legit issues that need to be addressed, but how many issues like this used to get taken care of without the majority of the public even knowing about them?

I feel like, at the risk of the complainers here, that I must disclose that I:

a. do not work for carnival.

b. am not a carnival fanboy.

c. am willing to sail with any cruise line.

Absolutely. Slow news time, then they look for any event that occurs right after the Triumph and suddenly there is news. All cruise lines have issues and you rarely hear about them. 'Ship' happens ;) and gets handled more than most even come close to knowing about.

There is really no denying that the Triumph fire was big news, and would have been covered regardless. Do I think the news was biased against Carnival, and over the top? Yes.

But since then, I think part of the problem is social media and the fact that everyone has cell phones. Because of Triumph, people on the other ships are quick to call the news companies to say, "hey, it happened again" even before all the facts are in. One instance of a toilet overflowing on a Carnival ship is not newsworthy, but when someone like CNN gets that report, in the aftermath of Triumph, they are likely to report it.

I agree. I've researched problems on cruise lines in the past, and lots of other cruise lines have had problems with their ships. I don't remember hearing about those in the news though. The media has latched onto Carnival and thrown everything out of proportion.

On one hand I definitely agree. Modern media, especially social media can get completely out of hand. I am in management at a retail store in a very small town, and all it takes is a single negative post on social media about us to ignite a firestorm. Eventually we get corporate visitors and the entire thing gets blown out of proportion because some customer had a random negative experience.

On the other hand, the cruise lines do have our lives in their hands, and some increased scrutiny after Triumph may not be the worst thing ever. Carnival has already stated that they will increase redundancy and emergency systems to prevent another incident, and these most recent small issues have served to keep them in the spotlight long enough that they are sure to implement these things.

In the end, Carnival will be just fine. And our trips should be safer (and temporarily a bit cheaper) as a result.

Is it just me or do others feel like the only reason we are hearing so much about issues with Carnival ships is because of social media and the need for the media to latch onto a big company like Carnival to make them look like a villain? It just seems like the media is always targeting the largest companies in each industry, when they have the same day to day issues as smaller companies, but because of the company's size they are a bigger target for scrutiny....

I do not doubt that the issues with the ships are legit issues that need to be addressed, but how many issues like this used to get taken care of without the majority of the public even knowing about them?

Well, since there are no scandals involving a poltician or a celebrity lately, the news agencies have to have something to occupy their time. Maybe it's time for some politician to be caught in a sex scandal to take the focus off of Carnival. Anyone care to start an unsubstantiated rumor about someone famous?:rolleyes::D

There is really no denying that the Triumph fire was big news, and would have been covered regardless. Do I think the news was biased against Carnival, and over the top? Yes.

But since then, I think part of the problem is social media and the fact that everyone has cell phones. Because of Triumph, people on the other ships are quick to call the news companies to say, "hey, it happened again" even before all the facts are in. One instance of a toilet overflowing on a Carnival ship is not newsworthy, but when someone like CNN gets that report, in the aftermath of Triumph, they are likely to report it.

I love Carnival, we are going on a family cruise again next February and I wish Carol & I could go on one sooner! However, having being on the Legend in January 2012 and having an "azipod" (sp?) issue then would certainly cause a little concern about another azipod issue about a year later. I ponder, are they stretching the PM cycles in the interest of profit?

I also agree that CNN, who at one time was the leader of the alternative news, is grasping at stories to try and get an larger audience back. They lose to Fox and MSNBC is gaining on them in the ratings. The organiztion that Ted Turner created got away from what they did best, got lazy and lost their core viewers.

I agree. I've researched problems on cruise lines in the past, and lots of other cruise lines have had problems with their ships. I don't remember hearing about those in the news though. The media has latched onto Carnival and thrown everything out of proportion.

Can you give examples of your "research" ?

No.:rolleyes: If RCCL or NCL or Celebrity we're screwing up, they would be in the news too. The reason you are seeing CCL in the news so often lately is because they are the ones screwing up. You can believe that if Oasis or some other large ship with another line has some problem at sea, it will be in the news too.

No.:rolleyes: If RCCL or NCL or Celebrity we're screwing up, they would be in the news too. The reason you are seeing CCL in the news so often lately is because they are the ones screwing up. You can believe that if Oasis or some other large ship with another line has some problem at sea, it will be in the news too.

Put me down as in agreement with this post .

Agree agree agree!! No cruiseline is getting a free ticket....If you screw up it will be reported by CNN and all others.

Carnival has screwed up...don't go blaming the Media!

go to the web site cruise junkie . com.....with obviously no spaces in between the words cruise and junkie or between junkie the . or com.

look for events at sea 2013. it lists everything. did we hear about the fire in dry dock of the new norwegian ship march 5? did we hear about the hundreds of passengers sickened on a rci ship? yes the carnival incidents are listed there....but so many more are listed and we've never heard about them.

you can go on and look at other years as well...

I agree that the media has a magnifying glass for Carnival. Otherwise we would have heard in the news:

the 2 ships that hit rocks in Norway

the ship in the Panama Canal that ran aground

the 2 people that got shot in Barbados

the ship currently on a transatlantic with reduced power due to a propeller problem(I think that's what I read)

All were involving other cruise lines.

Once upon a time journalists acted like journalists and reported the facts without slanting their reports.

Amen to THAT! It's a dying art. News departments used to be considered a public service and TV and radio stations had to do it to get their licenses renewed. Those regulations feel by the wayside (or were pushed off the cliff!) and now those departments have to make money. Thus we have infotainment instead of news. They go looking for the sensational and if they can't find it, they make it up.

CNN is losing market share to FOX and MSNBC so they are desperate.

Well, since there are no scandals involving a poltician or a celebrity lately, the news agencies have to have something to occupy their time. Maybe it's time for some politician to be caught in a sex scandal to take the focus off of Carnival. Anyone care to start an unsubstantiated rumor about someone famous?:rolleyes::D

Lindsay Loahan is going to rehab for 90 days. There is your celebrity news from yesterday.

I don't agree with your statement at all.

The news gives us what they want us to believe. No more---No less.

One example of that is the numerous failures of the US Navy ship USS Freedom. News reports tell us how great it is, but we never hear about the major problems with this vessel. This is only one example of how we are being led (correction misled) by the media.

http://www.publicintegrity.org/2012/04/24/8743/new-report-darkens-reputation-navy-ship

Another reality check would be a quick trip through the list of 2012 incidents listed on cruise junkie and try to recall how many of these were headlined by the media.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Disabling.html#2012

I wonder if there was that much scrutiny of the media when corporations like Enron and BP were news.

They're in the news because it's news. The other lines aren't in the news right now, because nothing out of the ordinary is happening on them.

But when they do, and it hits the news, those cheerleaders on those boards will be wishing the news to go away as well.

Well, it goes away when the news goes away.

Just like these threads drop to the bottom when the interest is gone.

Archived