Ruins Excursion in Coz., MX: Cabo or Tulum?

The Rowdys

We are trying to decide between a Cabo Ruins or Tulum excursion... Husband and I visited Tulum a few years ago and loved it. Returning to Cozumel next year with my son who has never been to Mexico, much less a ruin site. Has anyone been to BOTH? From what I can see (on Google search), guests can actually climb Cabo, which would be a plus. But is that worth missing the breathtaking sea-side experience of Tulum?

Opinions?

We are trying to decide between a Cabo Ruins or Tulum excursion... Husband and I visited Tulum a few years ago and loved it. Returning to Cozumel next year with my son who has never been to Mexico, much less a ruin site. Has anyone been to BOTH? From what I can see (on Google search), guests can actually climb Cabo, which would be a plus. But is that worth missing the breathtaking sea-side experience of Tulum?

Opinions?

We have been to both on a land based vacation (Excellence costa maya hotel).

Tulum is very nice at the coast but this you know since you have visited already.

Coba is still more "as it used to be" not everything is already excavated. The place is much bigger to, and yes, you can still climb the highest temple. But this is quite an adventure and not for the faint hearted!

But if you are careful and in some shape you can manage.

Because you have seen Tulum, I would go to Coba, take a local private guide there, rent a bike and drive together with him through the temple site.

We also have been to Chitzen Itza and other Mayan sites and we both liked Coba and Tulum a lot. So difficult to choose between two of the best Mayan sites in Quintana Roo.

Be prepared to travel a lot, from Cozumel you have to take the ferry than taxi, rental car or bus etc... Maybe it's safer to do this with a ship excursion...

If you've already been to Tulum then I'd recommend you check out Coba.

The view from the top of the pyramid is amazing. Going up is the easy part, coming down is a little unnerving. Take it nice and easy and you'll be fine.

There are some pics of Coba near the bottom of this album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150514151250681.420496.567405680&type=3&l=e73c5e50f6

Cheers, P:)

thank you both for your replies!

I will NOT be climbing to the top!! because I have some SENSE!!! it looks WAY too high for my happiness!! :eek:

both replies offer great information!

again, thanks!!

always nice to get a thank you! You're welcome!!!

Jumping on the bandwagon here. I hope to take my adult sons on a cruise that includes Cozumel in the next year or so. My husband and I have already been to Tulum on a Cancun vacation a few years ago but I would be willing to go back. But after hearing the opinions here, I think Coba would be a great choice. I would love to be able to climb the pyramid and I know you cannot climb Chichan Itza (sorry to butcher the spelling) anymore. Thanks for all the info!

• 2 weeks later...

There are some pics of Coba near the bottom of this album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150514151250681.420496.567405680&type=3&l=e73c5e50f6

your pics are very nice! may I ask, what do you use to photograph underwater to get true colors?? I have a nice Cannon, but cannot trust waterproof cases enough to risk ruining it! I used a cheap ($100ish) digital camera with a flash in a waterproof case during our last snorkeling event... still wasn't happy with the results... did not offer enough light to capture the reds and yellows...

your photos sold the husband and son (and myself) on Coba!

Archived