Hi new to Island Escape

tangobunny

Not booked yet but definitely will be doing stay then cruise for Sept this year.

As we will be leaving it until later to book I expect all the best hotels will have been snapped up in Majorca but as it's only for a week I don't mind if we get one that's not quite up to scratch.....any we should avoid like the plague ???

Also it may be a bit too soon to ask this but does anyone know what will be charged for drinks wise??

2011 we sailed on Dream and almost everything was free with the exception of cranberry juice,water and some speciality drinks like Jack Daniels,Southern Comfort etc

Last year on Spirit I noticed there were only half the amount of free cocktails compared to what we had on Dream and things like Kahlua,Amaretto,Grand Marnier were also charged for whereas these were free on Dream

Does anyone know what the Bar list will be for IE from the introduction of the free AI (may be a bit early to answer this I know)

Not booked yet but definitely will be doing stay then cruise for Sept this year.

As we will be leaving it until later to book I expect all the best hotels will have been snapped up in Majorca but as it's only for a week I don't mind if we get one that's not quite up to scratch.....any we should avoid like the plague ???

Hhhmmm,,I wouldn't say "like the plague" but I would never ever ever ever go to the Plaja d'or in Alcudia again. Hotel itself is nice enough, rooms are big and modern, very comfy big beds which is unusual in Spain but the food was iffy, the evening entertainment was dire,one had to drink copious amounts of bacardi to be able to get through it,, in fact we gave up and cleared off out but the loooooonnnng walk to anywhere through the swarms of mosquitoes was enough make your pee come in lumps!! Beautiful pool area though and quiet as it's adults only. Beach is right next to you but it's the very narrow end of Alcudia beach so it's only about a foot wide and only had the oldest rustiest wobbliest sunbeds I've ever seen whereas the proper end of Alcudia is just divine,,but about a 2 km walk. Alcudia is right next to swampland and lakes,,hence the mosquitoes, and they are a real problem in summer. People were being eaten alive, we had to go to the farmacia and get creams and stuff,,honestly they were very bad,,just be aware if you choose this area. I would have been extemely cross if I had booked it as my whole holiday and not just a few days extra after the cruise. Thats just my humble opinion though!

Depends what you want really.....we prefer to stay first then cruise as no hotel seems to be as good as the cruise!...we have stayed in Puerto Pollensa which is a nice family resort with lovely beach...but its a long way from palma....we have also stayed at Camp de Mar (not too far from Palma) in a Thomson Gold hotel right on the beach..that was nice but the entertainment was not too brilliant...lovely beach though in a cove and we had a sea view which was fantastic...we have also stayed at Hotel Alicia in Cala Bona which was also a Thomson Gold and quite nice right on the sea front and you could walk along the promenade to Cala Millor.....Santa Ponsa looks nice, a beautiful beach and not far from Palma...and also Cala D'Or is a nice area...lots to choose from!! :)

Thanks for the replies guys

We have already decided to do the stay first as we think doing it after will be a bit flat

Having previously stayed in several resorts in Mallorca we thought it would be nice to stay somewhere different however as I don't intend to book just yet we may have a lot less choice by the time I do get round to booking...my first choice Son Matias Beach is already not available for the week I was looking at so my second choices would be Hotel Levante,Hotel Talayot and possibly Santa Lucia but the latter hasn't had very favourable trip report of late but that maybe down to the fact recent holidaymakers were staying during the winter months.....

i have a holiday booked for may this year land based in Tenerife for 10 days so when I get back from that I'm hoping to get my booking skates on

I am staying at the Plaja d'or in Alcudia prior to my cruise and trip advisor has some good reviews about this hotel.

I have stayed at Son Matais twice - it was nice, nothing great, you couldn't exchange dinner for lunch, unless that has changed.

I needed something different this time, as I have spent the last 4 years in Palma Nova, at 3 different hotels

Archived