3 days in PR (outside of San Juan)

AquariusOne

Please guide us. We are already booked for a 4 night's stay in OSJ, pre-cruise. We also have 3 nights post-cruise available.

We would like to spend time outside of San Juan to enjoy other parts of PR. We will rent a car to visit attractions and to do sightseening.

Question is, where can we stay for 3 nights and do all the above, check-out on last day, return the rental car and catch a flight in time (11:30 am).

This is our first time in PR.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I haven't actually done this, but plan on doing something similar - we will be spending a few nights out in El Yunique the front runner at the moment for accom isn Rainforest Inn - prices start from $160 & includes breekie. They have a natural pool & their own private hiking trial.

If you are looking for more of a holiday home (vs b&b feel) Coqui's Hideaway looks good also.

During our time there we plan to visit the rainforest, atv tour, head to the beaches, day trip to Culebra, bio bay tour, some shopping & will be driving to the other side of PR to visit the caves & obsveratory. We are thinking that will all take about 4 nights or so.

Regarding the flight back, apparently traffic can be unpredictable. I would maybe drive to somewhere closer to the airport for an overnight stay to ensure you are there on time!

Last year after disembarkation, Charlies picked us up and brought us to their car rental in Isla Verde. We left there and drove to Cayey and stopped at the Lechoneras and had the best pork dinner of our lives! It was fun being immersed in their culture even though we spoke no Spanish! We drove from there to the Gran Melia ($95 per night)...we loved it there. The pool was gorgeous and it was a short jaunt to El Yunque, Luquillo Beach and the marina where we met for our Biobay excursion.

The next day, we hiked the rainforest and went to Luquillo Beach kiosks for dinner.

The next day we had a lazy day by the pool and then went off to the Biobay in the afternoon..that excursion included the boat ride to Vieques, dinner at a restaurant and then time on the Biobay and a great astronomy lesson! WE didnt get home until about midnight.

Somewhere in there we also had dinner at Richies..great mofongo and even better views!

We had an 8am flight on our last day...we made the easy drive back to Charlies and they drove us to the airport...We did bring our GPS from home. Driving outside OSJ is a piece of cake.

We are returning to PR in a week and will bring DD to a lot of these places. I look forward to returning someday with plenty of time to visit Culebra, the observatory, the caves..there is so much to see! Hope that helps, Lauri

I haven't actually done this, but plan on doing something similar - we will be spending a few nights out in El Yunique the front runner at the moment for accom isn Rainforest Inn - prices start from $160 & includes breekie. They have a natural pool & their own private hiking trial.

If you are looking for more of a holiday home (vs b&b feel) Coqui's Hideaway looks good also.

During our time there we plan to visit the rainforest, atv tour, head to the beaches, day trip to Culebra, bio bay tour, some shopping & will be driving to the other side of PR to visit the caves & obsveratory. We are thinking that will all take about 4 nights or so.

Regarding the flight back, apparently traffic can be unpredictable. I would maybe drive to somewhere closer to the airport for an overnight stay to ensure you are there on time!

I really appreciate your help. Some great ideas......thank you

Last year after disembarkation, Charlies picked us up and brought us to their car rental in Isla Verde. We left there and drove to Cayey and stopped at the Lechoneras and had the best pork dinner of our lives! It was fun being immersed in their culture even though we spoke no Spanish! We drove from there to the Gran Melia ($95 per night)...we loved it there. The pool was gorgeous and it was a short jaunt to El Yunque, Luquillo Beach and the marina where we met for our Biobay excursion.

The next day, we hiked the rainforest and went to Luquillo Beach kiosks for dinner.

The next day we had a lazy day by the pool and then went off to the Biobay in the afternoon..that excursion included the boat ride to Vieques, dinner at a restaurant and then time on the Biobay and a great astronomy lesson! WE didnt get home until about midnight.

Somewhere in there we also had dinner at Richies..great mofongo and even better views!

We had an 8am flight on our last day...we made the easy drive back to Charlies and they drove us to the airport...We did bring our GPS from home. Driving outside OSJ is a piece of cake.

We are returning to PR in a week and will bring DD to a lot of these places. I look forward to returning someday with plenty of time to visit Culebra, the observatory, the caves..there is so much to see! Hope that helps, Lauri

Thank you Lauri for such a detailed tour description. We might just follow your footsteps. To get to the airport, where did you drive from, what time did you check-out, when did you get to Charlie,s to return the car to catch your 8 am flight?

Thanks, Jay

Hi Aquarius One,

To catch our 8 am flight, we left the Gran Melia at 5 am..it was about an hour drive to Charlies (Isla Verde), we turned in our keys and then they shuttled us to the airport. This year there is a new section of highway that makes the trip even quicker...I think Aviator of the Seas said at least 15 minutes quicker. Mind you, we would rather get to the airport very early..we would rather sit around the airport for a while and the peace of mind if something comes up, we have a little cushion! Hope that helps..Lauri

CakerBaker, We are leaving in four days! We fly out very early Wed morning! I cannot wait to see the apartment! Friday will be very exciting...the apartment is right across from the Cathedral and on Good Friday, it is their tradition to go to five different churches that day and they have a live procession through the street in front of the cathedral. It might me fun to go to mass even if we dont speak Spanish..just to be immersed in the culture!

We had planned to go to Barrachinas on Friday night for dinner and the Flamenco show with a group from our cruise. When I called to reserve, I pointed out that it was Good Friday and they said they would be open....They called a few days ago, apologizing, saying they were not open and were not sure how our reservation went through..bummer...We saw the show last year and it was great, but we wanted DD to see it too. If you are there on a Fri or Sat night, check it out. It is free with dinner!

We are returning back home on April 9 so I will come back here and start a new review thread with all our adventures, pre and post cruise. So excited! Lauri

Wow, sounds like a wonderful trip you have planned in OSJ! It would be a very interesting cultural experience on Good Friday, for sure. I am excited to show my children life outside of Iowa, to give them a view far from their little safe world and home. :) Hope your daughter enjoys it!

Have a wonderful cruise, I look forward to hearing of your experiences. What an amazing trip you will have!!

Connie

Hi Aquarius One,

To catch our 8 am flight, we left the Gran Melia at 5 am..it was about an hour drive to Charlies (Isla Verde), we turned in our keys and then they shuttled us to the airport. This year there is a new section of highway that makes the trip even quicker...I think Aviator of the Seas said at least 15 minutes quicker. Mind you, we would rather get to the airport very early..we would rather sit around the airport for a while and the peace of mind if something comes up, we have a little cushion! Hope that helps..Lauri

Thanks Lauri for your guidance. Yes it my concern as well, to keep the stress to a minimum, the day we get back to the airport.

I will book a hotel in Isla Verde and use it as our base, for 'day trips' out side of San Juan. It would also be easier to return the rental car to Charlie's and get a ride to the airport.

Did you visit Ponce or any other cities? Reading from other CC posts, it seems quite possible to make day trips to the interor of PR and return back to San Juan, in the evening.

Again, thanks for your help.....Jay

Please guide us. We are already booked for a 4 night's stay in OSJ, pre-cruise. We also have 3 nights post-cruise available.

We would like to spend time outside of San Juan to enjoy other parts of PR. We will rent a car to visit attractions and to do sightseening.

Question is, where can we stay for 3 nights and do all the above, check-out on last day, return the rental car and catch a flight in time (11:30 am).

This is our first time in PR.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

My husband, myself and two kids are also staying outside San Juan post cruise in early October. We are picking our rental car up (Hertz) across the street from the pier terminal and driving to our hotel Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn in Luquillo Beach. We are staying in the green room for $150 per night which includes breakfast. The rooms were reasonably priced and received great reviews on Trip Advisor. We plan on hitting the beach, doing the bio bay and going to the rain forest. We will return our car rental at the airport which is super convienent. I hope that helps.

Jay, I wish we would have had time to visit Ponce...the art museum there is supposed to be incredible! My hubby loves VW's and there is a huge museum near Ponce...We did make it to Cayey to visit the Lechoneras and had a great pork meal. We spoke no Spanish but pointed at what we wanted and were very happy! It was fun being a local for a few hours. I would also love to go to the caves and Arecibo Observatory on the Northwest side of the island. So much to do in SJ! Lauri

Jay, I wish we would have had time to visit Ponce...the art museum there is supposed to be incredible! My hubby loves VW's and there is a huge museum near Ponce...We did make it to Cayey to visit the Lechoneras and had a great pork meal. We spoke no Spanish but pointed at what we wanted and were very happy! It was fun being a local for a few hours. I would also love to go to the caves and Arecibo Observatory on the Northwest side of the island. So much to do in SJ! Lauri

Thanks Lauri,

We do plan to spend a day around Ponce via Cayey.

While staying in Isla Verde (not booked yet), would it be possible for us to do the Rain Forest in the morning and Biobay in the evening and return back to our Hotel at night? Is night driving an issue in Puerto Rico?

Where are these Kiosks (food) located? Are they between Rainfores and Biobay area?

Thanks Jay

My husband, myself and two kids are also staying outside San Juan post cruise in early October. We are picking our rental car up (Hertz) across the street from the pier terminal and driving to our hotel Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn in Luquillo Beach. We are staying in the green room for $150 per night which includes breakfast. The rooms were reasonably priced and received great reviews on Trip Advisor. We plan on hitting the beach, doing the bio bay and going to the rain forest. We will return our car rental at the airport which is super convienent. I hope that helps.

Thanks for your gudiance

Jay

Volkyland! Thanks for posting! I would never have found out about it!

Someday we will get to Volkyland! I would love to hear about it!

When we went to ElYunque we went to LaCoca Falls, Yokahu Tower, LaCoca falls and LaMina falls...all done in maybe 3 hours...When we went on our BioBay excursion, we had to meet at the marina by 4 or 5 pm. So, yes, as long as you get an early start, you could tour both el Yunque and do the Biobay in one day. You could not hike to El Yunque and do it all in on day. No problems at all driving at night...you may not get back to your hotel until after midnight!

Luquillo Kiosks are right off the highway right by Luquillo Beach. When I was planning, I wrote down all the GPS coordinates of the kiosks, our hotel, etc...we cannot get lost that way!

Off in 13 hours!!! Lauri

CakerbakerMom,

We have been in OSJ two days already...it is raining right now so we are just hanging out waiting for it to stop! Caleta 64 is terrific! Betsy met us just as we were getting out of the taxi and she is FANTASTIC! I feel like I have known her all my life! She gave us lots of tips and a map. She made sure we had everything we needed and gave us her cell phone number. I would feel very comfortable calling her for anything!

LaPuerta is so quaint! The minute we walked in, we fell in love. Brick floors, huge beams in the ceiling, 10 foot heavy wood doors that you can open (breeze feels great blowing through right now!) There is a small kitchen with all you need to cook meals. Full size stove but small refrig which was perfect for us! Daybed is new and comfy. Also a counter height table and 4 chairs for dining. Apartment is decorated very nicely. Upstairs queen bed is really comfy with great linens and pillows. Beautiful but small bathroom upstairs...rain showerhead. I would return here in a heartbeat!

We are so centrally located..right next to ElConvento and the Cathedral and the city gate! Just a few blocks to El Morro and Plaza de Armas...we can walk anywhere!

We have had a great two days...Most exciting was getting locked inside the cemetary...we had to scale a 8 foot fence to get out! Great story! I will save the rest for my review when I get back...

Lauri

• 2 weeks later...
CakerbakerMom,

We have been in OSJ two days already...it is raining right now so we are just hanging out waiting for it to stop! Caleta 64 is terrific! Betsy met us just as we were getting out of the taxi and she is FANTASTIC! I feel like I have known her all my life! She gave us lots of tips and a map. She made sure we had everything we needed and gave us her cell phone number. I would feel very comfortable calling her for anything!

LaPuerta is so quaint! The minute we walked in, we fell in love. Brick floors, huge beams in the ceiling, 10 foot heavy wood doors that you can open (breeze feels great blowing through right now!) There is a small kitchen with all you need to cook meals. Full size stove but small refrig which was perfect for us! Daybed is new and comfy. Also a counter height table and 4 chairs for dining. Apartment is decorated very nicely. Upstairs queen bed is really comfy with great linens and pillows. Beautiful but small bathroom upstairs...rain showerhead. I would return here in a heartbeat!

We are so centrally located..right next to ElConvento and the Cathedral and the city gate! Just a few blocks to El Morro and Plaza de Armas...we can walk anywhere!

We have had a great two days...Most exciting was getting locked inside the cemetary...we had to scale a 8 foot fence to get out! Great story! I will save the rest for my review when I get back...

Lauri

I just found your message here, CC can be difficult in that way (I could give you my personal contact info, that might be easier)

I LOVE hearing about your experiences in OSJ. We will be there from Tuesday afternoon until Saturday evening (in Nov). I would love to hear some of your experiences, tips, etc. I read someone was locked in the cemetary, didn't know it was your family!! Oh my goodness!! We are going to go there with two young children

Here is an email address if you would like to correspond. I would love to hear of your experiences. sunnyshine 64 a t yahoo dot com. I think you can fill in the spaces :) So excited to hear more from you, and would love to see pics.

Connie

Connie, It will probably take me a few weeks to get my pics organized and uploaded to a site that you can go to...I will be glad to share our adventures with you! I may do a review, but not sure ifmI can spare the time right now!

lauri

Connie, It will probably take me a few weeks to get my pics organized and uploaded to a site that you can go to...I will be glad to share our adventures with you! I may do a review, but not sure ifmI can spare the time right now!

lauri

Hi Lauri, I've just helped me out on TA re spencers - thank you!

If you do end up writing a review (even on just ports) I'd love to read!

lauri

Hi Lauri,

Really looking forward to your snaps and other details of your trip. We have almost 7 days in PR, 3. in OSJ pre cruise and 3 post Cruise for other parts of PR.

I am trying to read whatever I can to plan this trip. We are renting a car for post cruise.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Archived