Children in the steakhouse

hayesktrm

Age restrictions in the steakhouse?  

582 members have voted

1. 1. Age restrictions in the steakhouse?

• No age restrictions, everyone is welcome
    • No babies under 2
    • Only 12 and older allowed
    • Only 16 and older allowed

There IS indeed such an option! It is called a door.

Yup sure, in who's lifetime:rolleyes:. Those drunks that are noisy and obnoxious (unless maybe to the point of breaking things), don't get shown the door any faster than that baby's parents who were not dealing with the situation appropriately.

My point was we do not ban people who have been drinking just because they may cause a scene. Once that baby, child, adult drinking creates an unpleasant atmosphere for other patrons, any or all of them should be asked to leave.

But that isn't going to happen on any ship I've been on and from the sound of it Carnival either. So I'm with the poster who said, go and see the front desk or a higher up and get your money returned on your dinner. That is far more likely to happen IMO.

I liked the person who said "make the steakhouse adults only, like Serenity." That really stuck with me because no one complains that this is adults only. There are other restaurants that you can go to (with probably more kid-friendly food), so it's not like if they said adults only you would starve.

Maybe on the newer ships with more dining options, they could put in a true adult-only restaurant.

I do have to say that we have been to the steakhouse twice and, so far, no unruly kids. I think that most people think it's ridiculous to pay $35 for a meal for a child.

Oh, and to the person that insinuated that I didn't enjoy my kids' company, really??? I adore my children, but part of being a good parent is taking time for yourself to recharge so you can really be there for your kids. Wanting some time away from your kids doesn't make you a bad parent, it makes you sane. I have two incredible, talented, gifted, kind kids who adore me--so I know we have done a lot right.

I don't know about you but when I go on a family vacation, it is a family vacation. I enjoy taking my children out to restaurants.

I have waitressed for many years and usually the people who complain about children are the problem. They go to a restaurant and want no children there at all and have a problem when they see one. Out of 25 years waitressing I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have seen out of control children. Obnoxious drunks, I don't have enough fingers to keep track of that.

Just like the Serenity areas, I think it's nice to have an adults only dinner venue, so either have kids allowed until 7 or 7:30 and after that adults only or have a couple of nights designated as adult only.

I would like them to open it up to families for the first couple of hours and After that limit it 16 or older.

That way you would have the option of dining with whatever group you prefer

I second that. Some of us have small children and don't have anywhere to leave them. It was be nice for us parents to be able to enjoy certain venues too!

I don't know about you but when I go on a family vacation, it is a family vacation. I enjoy taking my children out to restaurants.

I have waitressed for many years and usually the people who complain about children are the problem. They go to a restaurant and want no children there at all and have a problem when they see one. Out of 25 years waitressing I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have seen out of control children. Obnoxious drunks, I don't have enough fingers to keep track of that.

And as a road warrior who has traveled 35+ years for my job and eats out frequently, I can tell you the only problems I have ever encountered involve kids who are either screaming, ruining around unsupervised, or hanging over my back when seated in a booth.

Wow. All of a sudden you are paying $35 per person to eat at a steakhouse at sea and you think you are all Spongebob Fancy pants? I have paid more than that per person for a buffet in Vegas. GET OVER YOURSELF. As far as I am concerned my kids pay the same 35 dollar fee to eat there that you are paying to eat there. I would be willing to bet, that to Carnival, Their 35 is just as important as your 35.

If you want to avoid children while eating your steak, take yourself to an all inclusive resort that is adults only. OR, you could ask for your meal to go and take it to your cabin or the serenity deck and have yourself a child free fun time.

Wow. All of a sudden you are paying $35 per person to eat at a steakhouse at sea and you think you are all Spongebob Fancy pants? I have paid more than that per person for a buffet in Vegas. GET OVER YOURSELF. As far as I am concerned my kids pay the same 35 dollar fee to eat there that you are paying to eat there. I would be willing to bet, that to Carnival, Their 35 is just as important as your 35.

If you want to avoid children while eating your steak, take yourself to an all inclusive resort that is adults only. OR, you could ask for your meal to go and take it to your cabin or the serenity deck and have yourself a child free fun time.

This is exactly why it's Carnival.

Not saying it's good or bad, just saying...

I like the way another line does it...before 7 kids are allowed (at full price) and they (parents) are still asked to step outside to calm the little one, IF a child gets out of hand and the adult forgets that they are supposed to be an adult! I do believe children can enjoy fine dining and ours have great manners...better than some coworkers that I have dined with (you know who you are). Last cruise, I went with 3 other adults and one adult at another table was so loud and rude, lots of complaints about everything then angry at the end because they thought they should have their meal comped...at that same time there were 3 children , all with different families, maybe 5, 9 or 10 and young teen, they were al VERY good. I even spoke with 2 of the Moms later in the cruise about how good their child while dining. So, it isn't always the little ones!

Topic: The steakhouse should have a couple hours of " family time"....

Question: Would you still ask that behavior be monitored and rowdy guests asked to leave ? Do you believe that would actually be enforced ? I'd guess you don't or you'd have been okay with families at any hour.

My point is that there are families who ENJOY a nice meal in a quiet restaurant and are considerate of others. They don't talk in loud voices, bring noisy electronic devices, allow their children up from their seats to bother you or give babies noisy toys to throw on the floor.

Take all the people who believe that my children are well mannered and minus two. I've lost track of the difference. I know we aren't THAT unique.

I am happy with the current rules regarding dining, whether Im on a cruise with my husband or with my entire family. When I cruise without my children, I do tend to avoid them altogether, but I don't begrudge anyone thier family time.

Wow. All of a sudden you are paying $35 per person to eat at a steakhouse at sea and you think you are all Spongebob Fancy pants? <---- LOL. i was thinking the same thing.

Who'd a thunk chewing steak was so romantic to some.

It would be interesting to me to see if there is any correlation between where people live and their experience with unruly children. I live in so cal and I do not go to any main stream restaurant during the first week of the month. That is the worst time but even during the rest of the month it is a crap shoot. Kids are running in the restaurant and jumping on the seats and just really being disruptive. And the parents do nothing to stop them from behaving that way. So now when I go to restaurants or the steak house on the ship I cringe when I see children. And it is because you never know if they are going to behave or not. So it is the anticipation that sets you on edge right from the start.

I personally have found that no one is able to take criticism anymore - specifically when it comes to parents who, instinctively, are protective of their children. I personally have seen families not be able to control their kids or are even aware that their kids are being disruptive and I think it puts everyone in an awkward position when this happens in public (didn't they once do this on that TV show "What Would You Do?").

I don't know that there is a "right" answer to this as so many will have a varying opinion but I think everyone can agree that if you are paying $35 to enjoy a meal, you should be able to do so, peacefully. However, is a screaming baby different than a party of 6 who are drinking heavily and talking at the top of their lungs? To me, both would be equally annoying.

On our NYE cruise on the Dream, we enjoyed a dinner in the Steakhouse one evening. Our teenage children have always joined us and they know how to behave and what is expected of them. However, this time a man at the table next to ours was extremely intoxicated and rowdy. He was good natured and his tablemates kept apologizing to us for his outbursts. The hostess spoke with him several times about keeping it down and came over to us twice to see if we were alright. The dining room was almost empty and I believe she would have asked him to leave if we had been upset. We turned it into a teachable moment and talk to our kids about the importance of moderation. The important thing to us was that the staff would have intervened more strongly if it really had been impacting us.

I didn't vote because I don't like the options...I think the restrictions should be not younger than 5 years old. And it's not that I don't like kids...I do. I like them enough to know that a child under five has zero interest in sitting at a dining room table for three hours in a high chair or booster seat and being quiet. And I honestly do not believe anyone who tries to tell me otherwise. You may want to think that your two year old LOVED being in the steakhouse...but I guarantee you that two year old would have been far happier with a simple half hour meal and two and a half hours playing with you by the kiddie pool. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Over 5, then I think a parent would hopefully know their child enough to know if they could handle it...some could, some could not. Teenagers? Absolutely...they should take every advantage to enjoy a fine meal.

Yes, this means some parents might not have the ability to eat at the Steakhouse because their child is too young. Guess what? When you decided you were going to have a child, you are accepting that there are going to be times when you are going to have to act in the best interest of the child, even if it cramps your style a little bit. This would be one of those times.

Charge $35 per person regardless of age, that would make me think twice about bringing little kids...There are, after all, kids' venues on the ships. It's not like there aren't options.

Are children not charged the cover charge if they eat off of the menu?

Not sure how that would fix much, my son has been eating steak dinners since he was old enough to have teeth.

Even if they don't eat off the menu.....cover charge $35 per person to be in the Steakhouse, regardless of age.

But that was my point, even if there was no other menu, my son would have eaten off of the regular menu at probably around 18-24 months old, my daughter a little old, she wasn't as big an eater as her brother. Certainly by the time a kid is about 10, most are eating adult sized meals. My 5 year old granddaughter's favorite meal is a steak dinner.

So I'm not really sure how this would solve the dilema of these people that don't want children in the steakhouse.

I didn't vote because I don't like the options...I think the restrictions should be not younger than 5 years old. And it's not that I don't like kids...I do. I like them enough to know that a child under five has zero interest in sitting at a dining room table for three hours in a high chair or booster seat and being quiet. And I honestly do not believe anyone who tries to tell me otherwise. You may want to think that your two year old LOVED being in the steakhouse...but I guarantee you that two year old would have been far happier with a simple half hour meal and two and a half hours playing with you by the kiddie pool. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Over 5, then I think a parent would hopefully know their child enough to know if they could handle it...some could, some could not. Teenagers? Absolutely...they should take every advantage to enjoy a fine meal.

Yes, this means some parents might not have the ability to eat at the Steakhouse because their child is too young. Guess what? When you decided you were going to have a child, you are accepting that there are going to be times when you are going to have to act in the best interest of the child, even if it cramps your style a little bit. This would be one of those times.

Like! you answered your own question, kids are allowed in the steakhouse if you don't like it, either exit through the door or don't eat in the steakhouse. There I solved your discrimatory ways.;)

Actually, I haven't sailed Carnival since they started price gouging.

I honestly don't care about chairhogs, smuggling, flip-flops, bacon, snails, towel-animals, mints (or lack thereof), overflowing toilets, faulty generators, rotten customer service, OBC (or lack thereof), Walmart, Kmart, GetSmart, Petmart, Port Charges, flat-ironed steak or so-called "comfort food".

I'm here for the drama...

Fancy steak restaurants is no place for babies or anyone under 16. Nobody who is going to spend $$$ wants to hear a baby crying or be around children acting like goats. There is the Lido buffet where they can eat or other places besides the steakhouse.

If I had been in that man's place I would have said something to a Carnival employee at the time to at least ask the parent to take the child out until they stopped crying.

Well.....I have a 13 year old son who loves a good steak dinner every once in a while for a special occasion and a 10 year old daughter who acts very well during longer dinners, so not sure that is really fair to families, but...a screaming baby is another story! I agree that the parents should have known to take the baby out and if not, a quiet request from the staff would have been in order....it is not fair when you are paying that kind of money and some parents are just oblivious! :rolleyes:

1 baby with parents that don't know what to do with a crying baby in a restaurant certainly should not set policy.

And the restaurant manager should have had the cajones to pack their meal and send them on their way.

Agree

Archived