Settle this Argument for us.... To wear Jeans or not

lawgirl

I love to dress up especially on cruises.... Probably I overdress. BUT, DH is super casual. So tonight we argued over whether he can/should wear jeans in the MDR or specialty restaurants...I say his jeans (normal jeans, not dressy but not torn) are too casual. He says half the guys will be in jeans....

Thoughts? Also, does DH need a jacket or tie in specialty restaurants? Hope not.... As I can't seem to even get him out of jeans! At least I will be looking fab! LOL

Tell him that if he wears this jeans ....that you will wear this......:D

http://www.amazon.com/With-Stupid-Novelty-T-Shirt-Navy/dp/B001P8LN9S

Wow! What did I start?? Well, looks like the jeans win, but I am still working on him.... He has tons of really cool Hawaiian type shirts, so maybe some jeans, some khakis.... I guess I should not worry so much, after all he does put on a monkey suit for formal night!!

Thanks for the laughs!!

Actually we were at Wallmart yesterday and the people were dressed very nicely. Maybe it was formal day, dunno......:D

This is very funny...... We don't have Walmart in Australia but we do get those emails about the dress code at Walmart and the various photos. I just stare at them but can't believe they are true. Perhaps someone is engaging in heavy-duty photoshop !

This is very funny...... We don't have Walmart in Australia but we do get those emails about the dress code at Walmart and the various photos. I just stare at them but can't believe they are true. Perhaps someone is engaging in heavy-duty photoshop !

Nooooo. ;)

How about a happy compromise: yes to the jeans, but he must buy new, dark wash ones to wear on the ship. My DH usually uses travel as his excuses to buy 1-2 new pairs.

(but he also usually wears khakis on the ship because they are lighter weight)

How about a happy compromise: yes to the jeans, but he must buy new, dark wash ones to wear on the ship. My DH usually uses travel as his excuses to buy 1-2 new pairs.

(but he also usually wears khakis on the ship because they are lighter weight)

There is no need for compromise, Celebrity allows jeans and we've seen some less than fashionable jeans in specialty restaurants on formal night. Would we do it, no, but can't be critical of those who do as they are following the dress code.

I personally don't care for khaki's and wear jeans every night. I see a lot of people mentioning jeans being too heavy, but that is solely dependent on the jeans. I mostly own designer jeans and they're incredibly soft, light, and breath just as good as any khaki pant I've worn. I also don't believe dark jeans are better looking. I'll be wearing light, dark, and even red jeans proudly. I did buy a couple new jackets and bow ties to wear with them for fun though.

We book specialty restaurants for all formal nights. We would go to them anyway since we enjoy the food so much. The dress code just helps us decide which nights to do specialty restaurants.

Who really cares what other people think. The only person I care to see smile when they look at me is my girlfriend. If that's happening my job is done. The sneer of some old lady is only something for us to laugh about over Martini's.

Enjoy your cruise!

There is no need for compromise, Celebrity allows jeans

NUFF said! THANK YOU!! ;) :)

Who really cares what other people think. The sneer of some old lady is only something for us to laugh about over Martini's.

Better make mine a DOUBLE! :D :rolleyes:

There is no need for compromise, Celebrity allows jeans and we've seen some less than fashionable jeans in specialty restaurants on formal night. Would we do it, no, but can't be critical of those who do as they are following the dress code.

We agree with being able to wear jeans since it's allowed, and I plan to. But I would be interested in seeing where Celebrity actually mentions jeans being allowed. I looked on the Celebrity web site and could only find general references to casual dress, but nothing specific on jeans. Can anyone provide a link where Celebrity references jeans? Thanks.

We agree with being able to wear jeans since it's allowed, and I plan to. But I would be interested in seeing where Celebrity actually mentions jeans being allowed. I looked on the Celebrity web site and could only find general references to casual dress, but nothing specific on jeans. Can anyone provide a link where Celebrity references jeans? Thanks.

Lol! It used to say 'no jeans' and now it doesn't. That's about all you're going to get!!

Someone who wants to wear jeans should wear jeans.

Someone who does not want to wear jeans should not wear jeans.

Wait a minute -- forget what I just said.

If people did that, then there would be no need for this long thread and we would be missing out on all this entertainment. :D

The word "jeans" has over the years randomly appeared and disappeared from Celebrity's official dress code, sometimes allowing them, other times forbidding them.

At the moment the word "pants" is used as a generic catch-all which(fortunately) includes jeans and would also (unfortunately) include track pants.

I love to dress up especially on cruises.... Probably I overdress. BUT, DH is super casual. So tonight we argued over whether he can/should wear jeans in the MDR or specialty restaurants...I say his jeans (normal jeans, not dressy but not torn) are too casual. He says half the guys will be in jeans....

Thoughts? Also, does DH need a jacket or tie in specialty restaurants? Hope not.... As I can't seem to even get him out of jeans! At least I will be looking fab! LOL

I say leave the jeans at home. Celebrity has a dress code so why not adhere to it? It would never occur to me to wear jean in the MDR or a specialty restaurant. Maybe you should consider sailing on a line that has lesser standards.

I say leave the jeans at home. Celebrity has a dress code so why not adhere to it? It would never occur to me to wear jean in the MDR or a specialty restaurant. Maybe you should consider sailing on a line that has lesser standards.

Ooh, ooh, ooh. Can I be first to respond to this? Please???

Yes, you should definitely adhere to the dress code, which as we all know (well most of us anyway) includes jeans as acceptable smart casual wear.

I hope I didn't just respond to a troll...

Yes, you should definitely adhere to the dress code, which as we all know (well most of us anyway) includes jeans as acceptable smart casual wear.

Probably! lol World would be soo much calmer if people just worried about themselves!

9 cruises so far and probably have seen jeans in the dining rooms 2 or3 times. With the exception of embarkation day when nearly anything will be ok in the MDR.

9 cruises recently or spread over time?

I ask this because it has only been in the last year or so that more jeans are seen. Some are really nice, however on a formal night in January we ate at Murano's had a couple next to us who looked he looked like it was Saturday and he just came from the transfer station aka dump. She wasn't much better.

At first I was a bit surprised but realized they were sort of following dress code (not my idea of smart casual but also not any of my business). We enjoyed our meal and their dress did not interrupt or ruin it in any way. Well, maybe we got a good chuckle out of it.;):p. To each there own.

Love a good lively discourse!!!

Someone said "Maybe you should consider sailing on a line that has lesser standards." Well yes maybe but since elveryone loves to flame on these boards:) maybe it would be better phrased as: consider a cruise line with different standards.

Having been on more than 26 cruises over the past 20 years things have changed a lot. Cruises are no longer the 1st thing you do when you retire. There are kids with elite status who are in grade school.

"Back in the day" you dressed every night for dinner in a suit or jacket and then had 2 formal nights. Dining was also an event lasting 2.5 hours or more. Each course was served and the table cleared before the next course was served. It was a much more formal event. Crusing has changed a lot and the age difference, and what people are looking for has changed. If you would have told me 20 years ago shorts for dinner are part of the dress code on some cruise lines I would have asked what are you smoking:) I just had 56 clients on a cruise and they did not want to "dress up" They like the casual atmosphere of some of the other lines. Is one right and one wrong nope just different. As a good (I hope) TA I try to put my clients on a ship that meets their style otherwise they are not going to enjoy their cruise. As much as I miss the "olden days" of much more formal I just returned from a Queen Mary 2 cruise - let me tell you something - I thought I missed the formal nights and dressy nights but the reality sat in after 3 formal nights and 2 suit and tie nights I enjoy the more casual atmospher of cruises today and yes that means kahiki's and even jeans. Times are a changing folks.

BKFlowermound gave you a great answer. The only thing I'll add is that on my experience in Celebrity dining rooms - I would not say that half the guys are in jeans. I would say its less than 20% and that is being generous on Carribean cruises. But the dress code says jeans are allowed during smart casual; however, I wouldn't expect it to be the norm of fellow cruisers.

And to settle your argument - I normally just do what my wife wants. It makes my life a lot easier.

No experience of the Caribbean but just got off an Australia/New Zealand cruise and while I wore (and noticed others did) jeans at breakfast or lunch...jeans- whether neat or not were noticeable absent at dinner times.

That amazed me somewhat as although Australians are known as laid back - the contingent on this cruise dressed on the higher side of neat casual and usually wore kaki's/Dockers or the like or other pants on non formal nights. If I wore jeans while I don't think any comments would have ever been made...I don't think I would have wanted to (and I'm not one for being overly dressy if I can get away with casual myself) simply because of their absence.

But at the end of the day its your holiday and as long as you abide by the guidelines in spirit I don't think anyone will overly care - anyway they dim the lights that much at dinner it would be amazing if anyone could see them. :-)

Maybe you should consider sailing on a line that has lesser standards.

What do you do now that the Titanic or Queen Mary isn't sailing?

Ponder how a top hat, cane and monocle isn't party of evening dress anymore???? :rolleyes:

You are most welcome to your opinion and I respect it. As for your comment about someone maybe being a troll, it is rather classless.:D

Archived