Star in Hawaii Question Please

ganny3

[quote name='ganny3']Has anyone on the Star gone to the Paradise Cove Luau while in Honolulu?
Thanks in advance.
Barbara[/QUOTE]

you might want to check the Ports of Call boards for an answer. I don't believe the Star has started it's Hawaii itinerary. it's been the Golden and Sapphire. So, you might want to check the Roll Calls of those ships also. Many have taken the Hawaii cruise before

I wasn't on a cruise, but I did do the Paradise Cove Luau. I've been to 5 different luaus and Paradise Cove has been the best of the bunch (JMHO).

I'm not into the modern Cirque du Soleil type shows. I preferred the Hawaiian culture atmosphere. Participating or even just watching the Hukilau (fishing with nets), lei making, weaving reeds, hula lessons, etc.

Then the Imu ceremony (pig in the ground), the dancing (whether the luau or just South Pacific dancers), and of course the meal itself.

We received a shell lei and 2 free drinks. They take your photo upon arrival with some of the entertainers (you don't have to purchase if you don't want to, but it makes a nice souvenir). All of the luaus are rather commercialized. Not many tourists would ever see or attend a REAL luau, as we don't know the Hawaiians so wouldn't be invited to their family gatherings.

Great evening of entertainment.

[quote name='agabbymama']I wasn't on a cruise, but I did do the Paradise Cove Luau. I've been to 5 different luaus and Paradise Cove has been the best of the bunch (JMHO)
[/QUOTE]

This will be our first Princess cruise. Now that I know you've been there even though not on a cruise can you give me some idea how long it took you to get back to town after the luau was over. Our ship leaves at 11 which I would guess means be aboard no later than 10:30. The reservations person at Paradise Cove says they can get us back to the ship in plenty of time. Do you think this sounds reasonable.
Thanks

[quote name='ganny3']This will be our first Princess cruise. Now that I know you've been there even though not on a cruise can you give me some idea how long it took you to get back to town after the luau was over. Our ship leaves at 11 which I would guess means be aboard no later than 10:30. The reservations person at Paradise Cove says they can get us back to the ship in plenty of time. Do you think this sounds reasonable.
Thanks[/quote]

I think the drive back was about 45 minutes. There was not a lot of traffic at that time of night, but it would still be cutting it close. Lots of cars leaving the actual Paradise Cove parking lot. Does Princess offer the excursion? Might be safer to take theirs if they do. If not, I would take that as an indication that you might not have sufficient time. Wouldn't want you to miss the ship.

[quote name='agabbymama']I think the drive back was about 45 minutes. There was not a lot of traffic at that time of night, but it would still be cutting it close. Lots of cars leaving the actual Paradise Cove parking lot. Does Princess offer the excursion? Might be safer to take theirs if they do. If not, I would take that as an indication that you might not have sufficient time. Wouldn't want you to miss the ship.[/QUOTE]

Eleanor,
Thanks for all your help. I believe Princess offers the Luau at the Polynesia Culture Center and it gets really mixed reviews. The Paradise Cove gets much better reviews.
Thanks
Barbara

Archived