Old Favorites for Scrap?

Shiprobbo

Folks,

Latest reports indicate that Pacific once better known as Pacific Princess, the original 'Love Boat', is scheduled to leave her lay-up berth for scrap at Aliaga.

Other news indicates that Atlantic Star, better known here as the one-time Pacific Sky, has left her berth in Marseille under tow for 'Suez'. While not yet confirmed it does look as though she is also bound for the beach, this time most likely Alang, India.

While not really an 'old' ship, Atlantic Star does suffer from being steam powered in a world where most ships have long ago changed to diesel, either as direct drive or through diese-electric propulsion motors, unfortunately this makes her an expensive ship to operate. Again while not old as such, she is probably past the age at which another operator would want to spend the substantial amount on re-engineing her, so unfortunately he real value now is only as scrap.

Cheers,

Sad news indeed to me. I had heard about Pacific but very sad about Atlantic Star (Fairsky-Sky Princess-Pacific Sky-Sky Wonder) I so hoped they would find a buyer for her. The last of the steamships. Seems like the very thing that made her unique may have lead to her early demise.:(:(

Not too many ex Sitmar ladies left, makes our P&O fleet special to us Sitmar tragics ....... Especially Pacific Pearl (FairMajesty..etc)

I read that she may have been traded in a deal as part payment for a new Oasis class ship for RCI. That would be the ultimate insult to this beautiful old lady, I know what class of ship I would rather sail on.:o

Archived