What is the closes airport to Port Dover?

tigercat

We are booking a trip on the Carnival Legend in Sept. and since we are coming from Canada I am trying to figure out which airport to fly in to and how long it will take to get to Port Dover. Also, what is the best way to get there. If you can help with these questions I would appreciate it.

tigercat

Gatwick (LGW) airport will be the nearest big airport and then its about an hour + halfs (80miles or 129km) drive to Dover on the coast.

Most international flights however go into Heathrow (LHW) and thats a bit further away 1hr + 50mins drive (100miles/162km)

Check out the airport websites for transport links.

HTH

2BAC:)

As other posts, LGW is the closer to Dover. Although LHR is only about 30 miles further, the route is on the M25 - a notorious bottleneck at the wrong time on the wrong day. So do allow extra leeway for timings to/from LHR - other than that and a slightly more expensive transfer there's nothing to choose between the airports so make flight cost/convenience your priority.

Public transport between either airport & Dover is non-existent, you need to go into central London & out again.

For that reason, if there's just two of you the ships' coach transfers from either airport are your best bet.

Private transfers will cost you £90 to £140 depending on airport & operator, CCers tend to use http://www.folkestonetaxi.com/ or http://www.dovertaxis.com/

JB :)

Thanks for the replies. There will be 3 of us going and we are planning on flying in either Thurs (which gets me into England on Fri morning) or Friday (which gets us into England on Sat. morning) and going to Dover until our cruise on Sunday. I hope there are hotels in Dover that we can stay in that won't cost an arm and a leg. I think we were hoping to leave the day of our cruise but I am not sure. The flights seem to leave in the morning and the latest one is at 1 p.m. I am thinking for the 3 of us (I am disabled) that is a little too early. We might end up staying in London for the night and leaving first thing in the morning. The cruise isn't going to be a lot but I think the airfare, hotels, transports and food are going to kill us LOL

tigercat

Premier Inn in Dover is your best hotel bet.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/DOVPTI/dover-central-eastern-ferry-terminal

Canterbury is cheap, quick & easy from Dover by frequent trains (ask for "cheap day-return" tickets which cost £7.80, about the same as a one-way ticket). About 18 miles, under 30 minutes by road or rail.

Make that your full day in Dover if you fly in Friday morning, or make it a stop on a private transfer from the airport.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Dover Castle would fit very nicely into the morning that you sail.

With a private transfer, or even perhaps ship's transfer, a 1pm flight shouldn't be a problem.

If that's a sunday, it's a doddle.

JB :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank for the replies. I am still trying to find a flight. I have a hotel in Folkestone so I hope it isn't too far from the pier. I will look at the links for transportation. My husband will not be driving, I wouldn't wish that on people in England LOL.

The hotel that was recommended wouldn't work for us as we need 3 in a room.

tigercat

• 5 weeks later...

It is possible to go from Gatwick to Dover by train -- UKL 20 per person

You have to change in Redhill and Tonbridge, but it beats going through

central London, or braving traffic.(See the National Rail website)

If you haven't flown Air Transat, they are terrific -- I heartily second the suggestion:)

Thanks for the information. I have bought my plane tickets and I fly from Toronto to Heathrow with Air Canada. Not my first choice but it ended up being the cheapest and the right timing. I could find a great time to fly out or come back but not both. I am now looking at ways to get from Heathrow to Kentsmere. I have some leads. I have a mobility problem and have a walker so that has to figure in on the way we go.

tigercat

Archived