I said I would report on my recent cruise which DH and I took around the Med/Adriatic. You can find the Cruise review here:https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forum/388-marella-cruises-formerly-thomson/
As it was a Fly-Cruise UK- Naples we had 2 x20kg (50lb) Hold luggage in a 30” and a 24” suitcase along with 2 x 10kg(25lb) in a medium rucksack and a beach bag. I also carried a Travelon shoulder bag. We cross-packed and luggage was not bonded outbound but was bonded on the way home. It’s easier to go through what I wore rather than what I packed as the weather was unseasonal for the Med in late May and some last minute additions to my wardrobe before departure proved useful!
Departure 5am from home for 9am flight (15th) Blue Linen Trousers(Pants), White ¾ sleeve Tee, Pale pink cotton sweater, navy blue pashmina and Sketchers
We were delayed boarding so it was a quick change after muster from our carry-on packing into a navy vest and multi-coloured jacket and mules to go to dinner.
16thMessina Sicily – Rain and some…..! Trip to Taormina Blue Linen Trousers, red/white Breton top, Sketchers, scarf and raincoat Note to self Sketchers are NOT waterproof! Back on board hot shower to warm up and change into Adidas pants, tee and fleece and mules. Used hairdryer to start drying of linen trousers and Sketchers!
Evening – Dress To Impress (Marellas Formal which is really smart casual) Long violet colour gown with embellishment to waist, silk pashmina in grey, Black/spangle T-bar sandals, small silver evening bag. DH wore black jeans, long sleeved shirt and brogues. (Pic below)
17th Dubrovnik Croatia – Sunshine AM on board ship cotton black/lilac skirt and lilac vest, mules (changed to sketchers to sightsee) Evening Black trousers, gold/sparkle vest, black pashmina, small gold evening bag, Gold cloth sandals.
18th Ancona, Italy – Rain and not warm! Blue Linen trousers, tee & fleece, Sketchers for morning walking tour, note Sketchers still NOT waterproof!! Changed in afternoon to Adidas pants and mules. Hairdryer to trousers and Sketchers yet again!
Evening- Black trousers, 3 diff stripe pink lace top, blk T-bar sandals, blk pashmina and small blk evening bag
19th Venice, Italy – Rain Rain Rain . Boat trip to the islands Murano and Burano. (See pic below) Blue linen trousers (yes again!), tee & fleece, scarf & raincoat, Sketchers (still not waterproof ha ha) Hairdryer to rescue once again. Evening White jeans, Turqoise/white top. Turqoise sandals, Turqoise Pashmina, sm silver evening bag.
20th Split, Croatia – Sunny but showery AM hot later Blue linen trousers, sketchers, tee & raincoat to start later shorts, vest & mules Evening LBD, blk T-bar sandals, sm blk evening bag and blk pashmina augmented by bling jewelle
21st Sea Day, Hot sunny and windy Shorts, black vest & mules on pool deck Evening Turqoise Sundress, black pashmina, blk evening bag, blk t-bar sandals
22nd Travel home day Blue linen trousers, red & white striped Breton top, Sketchers and scarf
· Only taking one pair of day trousers smart enough to sight see in, was expecting hotter weather than we got so took capri’s and shorts that I never wore.
· Not taking a waterproof sightseeing shoe, Sketchers are great and comfy in the dry but no good in the wet.
· Same for DH who wore the same jeans and sweater nearly all week and only 1 pair of the 4 pairs of shorts he had brought!
Best Advice recived prior
· Packing cubes – so useful, used one each in our carry on so we had something to change into when we boarded ship and to keep underwear and t-shirts under control.
· Towel clips – held onto our sun-bed towels, clipped wet clothes to the line and held my bath towel in place after showering!
· Toilet freshener – we used those little tree one you get for the car, hung on the cupboard door next to the toilet
Things wish I had took
· A medium hand towel, the bath towels were huge but the hand towels were too small for me to wrap my hair in after showering (or maybe I just have a big head??)
· Another pair of day trousers see above.
· Indigestion tablets, hairbrush and nail scissors all of which I forgot to pack and had to purchase in a chemist in Sicily at the princely sum of 28 euros!! Lesson learn’t!
I also took plenty of costume jewellery bling to brighten up evening outfits and my pashminas were also a godsend in the air con.
When travelling in the ‘shoulder’ months I think its safe to say I have learned you need to be prepared for all weathers, aiming to make our next cruise to the Caribbean later in the year so hopefully that new swimsuit I never got to use will come into its own!
Hope this has been some use to you. Happy Cruising.