First 2013 Island Cruise back yet

kevtina

Hi folks! I've just got back today. Can't say it was a pleasant relaxing cruise,,sorry. We had rough seas and lots of people were seasick. My Adypoos suffers motion sickness violently and unexpectedly,,he collapsed on the way to our cabin on the very rough night and had to be helped the rest of the way by 2 cabin stewards. He then manged to call reception to ask them if they could get a message to me but he told them the wrong bar! There was a crew member looking for me with a foto of me in all the wrong places. I thought he had been gone a while and eventually went to look for him and bumped into the crewman who was looking for me..I found my poor husband in a terrible state in our cabin, he looked awful. He had taken a pill but been sick almost straight away,,ohh it was horrible. We rocked and rolled quite violently all night,,and on deck 9 forward we felt EVERY moment of it. I will never leave the cabin to chance again,,will make sure I book midships and a lower deck. I don't think many people slept at all that night, we certainly didn't and I did wonder if we would get into Toulon cos we were still rolling around as we approached. There were of course those hardy souls that claimed "oh I slept all night, didn't feel a thing" ,,well good for them cos most people had a very unpleasant night. I just lay in my bed and hoped we would get there soon,,the old lady kept us warm and dry and got us safely to port:)

We had a lot of rain, cold winds and generally vile weather. Toulon was a nice sunny day but the rest of the days were a bit iffy. We were just unlucky with the weather really, nothing anybody can do about that!

The ship itself is looking good for her age and has a special place in my heart after just 2 cruises on her and we won't hesitate to go again when we get chance. We met some fantastic people,,had a good laugh with most of them and I only heard one or two moaners whinging about plastic plates or small cabins or silly stuff.

Show team excellent! Entertainment outstanding,,food good and plentiful,,every single crew member was great. Am very tired now,,will try and answer any questions tomorrow!

We rocked and rolled quite violently all night,,and on deck 9 forward we felt EVERY moment of it. I will never leave the cabin to chance again,,will make sure I book midships and a lower deck.

Oh nooo! Last cruise I was on we were on a low deck and I had quite bad sea-sickness on two or three of the nights - also very bad vibrations and I was convinced it was because we were lower down the ship and nearer the engines. So this time round thought it'd be better going higher up... hope I've not made a bad decision! :rolleyes:

We are going next week (9th April). What was the entertainment on each of the nights? Not been on IE so not familiar with what it's like - are there shows like on the Thomson ships or is it more of a cabaret?

Good morning! Feeling slightly more human after a good night's sleep:)

The entertainment is excellent. There was a show every night in the Ocean Theatre..all very glamorous and wonderful. Different styles of music every night,,the end of cruise show was the best in my opinion! The Bounty Lounge on deck 8 had various types of entertainment,,singers, comedians, the resident band, bingo, quizzes, MR & MRS...even my favourite The Chase! There was never "nothing to do":) Our favourite watering hole is the Sundowner where the 2 chaps take turns in playing piano and guitar and singing. All very good,,something for everyone.

The all inclusive malarkey seems ok from my experience,,I'm sure some might disagree. I looked at the non AI drinks,,not bad prices for branded stuff,,Bacardi, Gordons gin, etc £1.50 a measure and cans of coke etc are £1. I did notice that the waiters are not quite as quick as they were last year in the service and not once did any waiter anywhere actually ask us if we wanted a drink before we asked for them,,if you know what I mean. We had some lengthy waits in all bars for drinks. Someone told us to slip a waiter a 10euro tip as you walk in to a bar and they will fawn over you all night!

Oh dear Cappers, sounds like you had an eventful time. I am praying that the seas will be calm for us next week :eek:

It was just sheer bad luck with the vile weather. It didn't really spoil our enjoyment of our holiday,,we use the cruise as a means of getting around different places rather than for the actual cruising experience. The rough seas did spoil a couple of days, I won't deny that. After the crossing from Livorno to Toulon with that force 9 I was getting off and flying home! I thought,,b****r this I'm going home,,or down to Benidorm for a few days:rolleyes: The night from Toulon to Palamos was ok,,heavenly compared to the one before and Captain David said he was going up and round the Bay of Lyons instead of straight across it to stay out of the deep depressions and strong winds,,we were so grateful!

I'm sure it will be fine now,,all sunny and warm with the sea like a millpond!!

Certainly sounds like the weather didnt spoil it too much for you. I like the sound of the entertainment... were you able to get a seat in the bars etc ok?

Re the Oasis restaurant, what is the 'small charge' they are asking for, and can you get your AI drinks in here too?

Getting quite excited, our first cruise ever!:D

Curry Lover, the Oasis has a cover charge of £14.99 PP, but if you eat in 4 nights you get the 5th free. plus AI dinks in the Oasis and other eating places.

In my experience the bar isn't to bad, it's the high end entertainment area's that get really full quickly.

The Ocean theatre fills up very quickly and at least half an hour before the shows start. If you wanted to see the 8pm show you need to go and get a seat by 7.30pm. People were coming in and wandering around looking for seats and then eventually giving up. Some took to standing along the aisle leading down to the stage but they were blocking the view completely of a lot of people so were asked to move. Never had a problem at all getting seats in the Bounty Lounge but the Sundowner is nearly always full. People tend to go in there, get a seat and stay there all night! Didn't bother with the Oasis cos I find I can't eat much at night,,it would be a waste of money for me!

Thanks for this Cappers. So it sounds like coming back from excursions you have to have a very quick evening meal in order to get a seat for the entertainment in the evening!! Or are there two sittings for the entertainment so to speak?? We like to eat a bit later.

There are 2 sittings for the shows,,1st one around 8pm and then 2nd at 10pm,,or thereabouts. Sometimes they alter the times slightly but they will keep announcing times and it's all in your Island Chat newsletter every night that they leave in your cabin. We went to the dining room around 8pm and then a quickie in the Sundowner before the 10pm show. I don't particularly like that Island restaurant in the evnings,,I don't know why but I always feel like I want to get out asap.

When we come back from a day out we head straight up to the sailaway bar:D:D We stay there until we are well out at sea before going and getting ready for the evenings entertainments! Except last week it was too darn cold wet and windy to be out there so we were forced inside and up to the Lookout Bar.

Archived