tipping on MSC (caviargal?)

nitnyleo

caviargal posted (somewhere)....

"And tipping is not expected in Europe or on true European lines (AIDA, MSC)."

I would just like you to verify that statement.

MSC does add on a 10% gratuity onto drinks (correct?).

I don't mind tipping my waiter/asst waiter or steward or fave bartender...But, on my last cruise (Celebrity), a couple of people popped out of the woodwork on the last night of the cruise to say "hi"..and, then it dawned on me that they were looking for their tips. (I prepaid, so I assume they got them....(altho I have no idea what they did for me.))

My next cruise is for 29 days and "no tipping" may make up for the overvalued Euro.

According to MSC, they do not require or hype tipping as do many mainstream lines. I am on my first MSC cruise next week and imagine I will tip as a I normally do on a cruise for good service. As you say, I will likely adopt a bartender or two early on and will take care of him/her. And I simly am uncomfortable not tipping my waiter and assistant.

My general reference to tipping is based on my travel, most of it in Italy. There, I round up the tab and leave a bit for the server but this is not common practice by the Italians themselves and is not expected. It has been the same in my other European travels.

I am not certain if they add 10 or 15% to bar items but there are experienced MSC cruisers on this board who can correctly answer that question.

I would be quite surprised if AIDA expected or encouraged tipping. Besides the club concept, they are primarily a German line and tipping IME is not the norm there.

On the Price Lists (I have copies in front of me as I type this) for the Bars and Cabin Mini Bar there are the words "A SERVICE CHARGE IS INCLUDED".

The actual amount of this charge is not specified. By "authorities" within MSC I have been given conflicting info. Once being told 10% and once 15%.

In the pre cruise booklet sent by MSC it is given as 10%.

In that same pre-cruise booklet it also says

"Gratuities (tips) are a globally accepted way to thank the personnel who have taken care of you during the cruise. It is also accepted that tipping is a very personal matter between you and the personnel concerned. The Cruise Directors will offer more advice on tipping during the Cruise. Gratuities to Cabin and Restaurant personnel are generally given on the last evening before arriving in home port"

Now all this seems to me to be rather contradictory and especially when MSC have declared that they operate a NO TIPPING POLICY.

The "advice" given on our last cruise with MSC varied wildly as to the amount.

This subject has been covered on this board many many times before.

I have posted that the staff to whom we spoke all stated that they were paid a very good wage - way ahead of other lines on which they had worked.

They did NOT regard tips as part of their income. They did NOT expect to be tipped.

However we received some pretty exceptional service from a number of different areas and we did choose to reward those people. They were delighted that their efforts had been noticed and appreciated.

It may be different on just a 7 day cruise but on the transatlantic crossing the staff were switched between lounges about half way through the cruise.

Bear this in mind if planning to tip at the start of the cruise.

Different subject now - but it is something that always amuses me. MSC send out with the tickets the information booklet. This is generally received just a few days before one departs. Under a heading "Special Diets" it has the words "Special Diets must be requested at the time of BOOKING THE CRUISE". The capitals are mine! Seems to me at this stage to be way too late giving this information!

Elsewhere under "Electric Current on Board" It correctly states that on Lirica and Opera (true too of Armonia and Sinfonia) voltage on board is 110v/220v.

"No electrical appliances should be used in cabins except electric shavers and hairdryers" and "Ironing in cabins is totally prohibited".

Hairdryers are provided in case anyone should wonder but I am informed not all that good if you have thick hair! Not a problem for my bald dome :-)

They did NOT add a gratuity to the bar tab, so we always left a dollar or two when we signed the tab. This was on the Lyrica in the Caribberan.

Ginnie

Yo-

You are correct that it doesn't show on the receipt - that's because it is built into the cost of the drink (read cruise info sent with docs) - it's a European thing (read-good)-

btw it is spelled "Lirica"

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I also found tipping confusing. Envelopes are left in your cabin on the last day, to hand tips over personally on the last night.

Our English speaking guide gave a guideline of €3 per adult passenger per day for your cabin steward (to include his assistant) and the same to your waiter and his assistant, making €42 for week from two adults to your cabin crew and the same to your dining team.

She stressed it was entirely up to you how much you tipped, or whether you tipped at all. She also said if you were particularly pleased with your wine waiter or cabin assistant to split the amount in case it wasn't passed on.

I stuck to this amount, and no-one hinted for a tip from me. A fellow passenger gave next to nothing - I suppose that happens when they say it's your choice. Does anyone here definitely know that the staff are well paid?

I do not know if the staff are well paid but it was nice not be hounded for "excellent" ratings nor to have to pay an extra 15% on drinks and wines.

I tipped as I always do. There was one envelope for the waiter (who splits with his assistant) and one for the room steward. There were no guidelines given, even on request.

Signals were very mixed about tipping but I will tell you that very few Europeans aboard came to diner in my dining room with envelopes.

I was told today by my MSC rep that, effective in 2006, all ships will added a forced gratuity to onboard accounts. He was unsure of the exact amount but said it is in keeping with industry standards.

CG

I forgot I made this post and didn't realize the number of helpful responses. It wasn't until Cardiff girls's post that I received an email alert.

Thank you all for your input...

I suppose I will be tipping, per usual.

Archived