Crash Diet

Texsungirl

:o I want to loose weight for my cruise and now, I am 3 months out from my big day and have decided to go full throttle for the next 3 months. My plan is to really watch what I eat (or don't eat), work out and then kick back and have fun on the cruise. I will continue my walking routine while I am at sea but I am going to eat what I want when I want.

I am really hoping for a 15 pound per month loss. My theory is, I know that there is really no such thing as a diet, but you can treat yourself (i.e .cruise) every once and a while. I also think that if I can reach my goal by cruise time, it will further motivate me to keep loosing weight.

Michelle, crash diets do not work. If you don't eat, your body will hold onto everything it gets. You might lose a pound or two, but as soon as you go back to eating normal, it will come back along with some friends. Take it from my experience, try something sensible. You can at least lose 15 - 20 lbs in 3 months, but don't push yourself too hard. Take care and good luck!

Michelle - If you crash diet you'll only hurt yourself in the long run. 15 pounds per month is not a realistic goal unless you put yourself in starvation mode. Once you do that, you've screwed up your metabolism and even a small cheat will cause your body to hold on to every pound and then some. You should find a sensible new way of eating that you can live with forever. Stick with it before, during and after your cruise. You'll find yourself losing weight and keeping it off.

Lynn

I am not really looking at a crash diet as much as I am looking at a total lifestyle change.

I know that 15 pounds per month is not realistic. But I am also very heavy and have to start somewhere.

I do plan on enjoying myself while I am on my cruise, but until then I am going to hold fast to what I eat and when I work out.

Also, the cruise is my treat for not falling off the wagon and eating they way I have been for so many years.

Does that make sense?

my motto...eat less, do more.

that means i can eat whatever i want, but in moderation and fit exercise into my routine...that way im not harming my body by making it starve, and im still satisfied.

your body isn't made to lose weight, that's why its so hard to do so. make sure your not hurting yourself girl...

I am not really looking at a crash diet as much as I am looking at a total lifestyle change.

I know that 15 pounds per month is not realistic. But I am also very heavy and have to start somewhere.

I do plan on enjoying myself while I am on my cruise, but until then I am going to hold fast to what I eat and when I work out.

Also, the cruise is my treat for not falling off the wagon and eating they way I have been for so many years.

Does that make sense?

Hi Michelle!

What makes sense is - you are "looking at a total lifestyle change" and you "have to start somewhere". That is not 15 lbs per month. BUT, if you are truly very heavy, you may find that cutting back slowly & getting more active than you already are, will cause significant weight loss at the beginning. Plus, once you start eating right, your body will shed a lot of its excess water weight, which is a small, but significant amount of the extra weight you carry now. You could easily lose 10-15 the first month, but if you set a "goal" for that to happen every month, you'll only be disappointed.

I've lost 42 lbs since September (started at 221, & I'm only 5'2" :eek: ), by watching portions, cutting way back on saturated fats (less red meat & dairy - LOTS more fish & veg), practically no junk food, processed foods, fast foods, sugar & white flour, BUT lots of water & less caffeine. I've lost an average of 1.07 lbs per week. Many weeks I've lost more than 1 lb, but I had a very tough time between Thanksgiving & NewYear's, gaining & losing the same 2 lbs over 2 months!

What has helped me (in addition to the above changes in eating) -

1 - Joining a gym & actually going :p 4-5 times per week, for 60-90 minutes each session, alternating between weights, ellipse, bike, etc. (But if my schedule only allows only 30 min, I am still there!)

2 - Finding these forums - lots of good advice & encouragment! And I join little groups in the forum that want to lose "X" lbs by a certain date, then I have to check in & post my losses at least once a week.

3 - Walking, & now that I'm in better shape, taking the stairs whenever I can! (I hardly used the elevators on my last cruise!)

4 - Telling everyone what I am doing. I try not to bore my family & friends with ALL the details (I do that here!:p ), but once I told everyone, it made me feel more "responsible" to follow thru. And when someone says - "Oh, have this special treat, it won't hurt", you can just smile & say, "I've a'ready lost "X" lbs by not having that, why mess it up now?"

5 - Reading Prevention Magazine - full of VERY helpful advice on eating right & exercise

6 - Planning ALL my meals ahead of time, & bringing food with me EVERYWHERE. If I bring my lunch, or have an apple with me, I won't hit the candy machine or the drive thru.

And like the others have said here, crash diets & eating so little that your body thinks it's starving will only set you up for failing. Make goals & changes, 1 or 2 at a time that don't involve the scale. The scale (or tape measure) will eventually show results! Example: If you already walk 4x per week for 30 min, try to either increase how many days or the length of your walks. If you still drink 3 cups of coffee or cans of caffeinated soda per day, cut back to 2, then 1 - none is best. (I've cut back from 3 to 1, & I actually have MORE energy than before! I forgot to even have a soda yesterday & didn't even miss it until, I unpacked my lunch bag at the end of the day!)

I know! I write A LOT!:rolleyes: I just wish typing burnt more calories than it does! :p Good luck, Michelle, & let us know how it goes!

I agree with telling others. It not only holds you a little more "accountable", but also lets others know, "Hey, DON'T offer me a beer or a piece of Key Lime Pie you know I can't resist".

I come from a family of eaters (If you've seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding - something along that lines, only we're of Scottish heritage...) so they know that when I'm trying to lose weight, they don't make a big deal of not taking a 2nd piece of whatever, or leaving 3 bites on my plate.

FORTUNATELY I'm married to the human eating machine. Whatever I leave on my plate, he finishes. I NEVER feel bad about ordering something exotic or expensive to only have it rot in a to-go box. With DH along, it leaves in his tummy! :) (Because we ALL know we take t-gos home with the best intentions on eating them for lunch later in the week. To only find them 6 months later and try to identify what that substance WAS before it started growing fuzz)

Contact me - I have a 90-food plan, that, I think - if you follow it, and need to lose it - will lose about 23-25 lb in that 90 days

My mother did great on it and my 1st month I dropped 11 lbs, 8 the 2nd month - then got lazy. Starting again on Sunday 6/26 (weddings to attend), that will give me 3 1/2 weeks before my cruise to try to drop, I'm guess about 6-8lbs before I set sail.

It's been around a LONG time... It really is a life sytle change

Now I only have the 90-day weight loss food plan - not the maintenance - butaccording to my mother - there's not much of a difference, just an addition of a couple things.

alwzrgt@hotmail.com and I'll forward it to anyone that wants it

Archived