Progreso Question

LostFan#1

I posted this question on the Progreso board, but perhaps I'll get more responses here as that board doesn't see much activity.

We'll be a party of 13 in Progreso next Tues., planning on hiring taxis to take us all to the Dzib. ruins and then back to the pier. As I fear it will be blazingly hot, this option gives those who desire it, to return to the ship. I particularly expect the 2 teen cousins (16 and 17) to opt out of our additionally-planned Merida excursion.

My question: If the teens wanted to shop some at the pier and then get the shuttle back to the ship, would you feel comfortable letting them do that, alone? (I'm not sure I will be comfortable going off to Merida and wondering if they got on the ship safely, but I'm still eliciting your comments).

Finally, is the shopping at the end of the pier, or are shops scattered along that long pier?

Thanks,

Debbie

There are no shops along the long pier. It is 5 or 7 miles long. The free bus drops you off about 2 blocks into the town at a big square full of vendors on boths. That is where you need to go to get the bus back to the ship. At the end of the pier where the ship docks there is an area that has shops and a bar.

Progresso is a friendly place and I wouldn't worry about them getting back to the ship.

We took the Dzib. tour through Carnival. At the site, they have a wonderful cenote. I knew this in advance, and we broke from the group, saw what we wanted, and spent a bit of time swimming. It's freshwater and up to 130 ft. deep. Our kids were 9 yrs. and 16 mos., so it worked out well being on our own. The little one end up falling asleep in the backpack carrier.

Here's the album from that tour:

http://community.webshots.com/album/232323399REtRcn

Not that I ever felt unsafe there, I probably still would have an adult go with the kids if possible (the mom in me :) ).

My question: If the teens wanted to shop some at the pier and then get the shuttle back to the ship, would you feel comfortable letting them do that, alone? (I'm not sure I will be comfortable going off to Merida and wondering if they got on the ship safely, but I'm still eliciting your comments).

Finally, is the shopping at the end of the pier, or are shops scattered along that long pier?

Thanks,

Debbie

Ships -Shops - then shuttle to town. Progreso felt safe - - but no way would I leave them to get the shuttle back to the ship on their own.

Just back from Progresso - there are a few shops once you get off the ship mostly mexican sourvenirs. Prices are better in town but there seemed to be only one shuttle bus that carried maybe 30 people so the line was very long when we were there last week and it was very very hot! You would think when a ship of over 3000 come to port that they would have adequate transportation since you can't walk anywhere. Taking a taxi is a better way -after waiting 20 minutes in the heat some of us gave up and took a taxi (waited 5 more minutes for it) and others gave up and went back to the ship.

Thanks, everyone - "Mom" in me is rethinking the idea of letting the girls get back to the ship alone, especially since they would have to wait for the shuttle or opt for a (paid) paxi. Surely someone else in our group will decide to go back to the ship, too. Thanks for explaining the logistics of this port; I was thinking I would worry too much, and you've all confirmed that.

Debbie

In light of "Aruba" - I wouldn't even consider it. My own DD loved swimming in the cenote at Dzibilchaltun and even found the rest of the tour interesting (shocked me!!!). The shops at the end of the pier don't have too much but they do have good T-shirt and blanket prices, and they also have a small cafe type area where they were giving away pop and beer while you listened to a marimba band.

Debbie-

You are right not to let teens wander on their own in Progresso or any other Caribbean port. While I love Progresso and felt it was quite safe, I do not think it is wise to let teens wander in a third world country without passports or appropriate currency. The simplest error--like accepting a ride from a stranger or taking the wrong bus--could put them in a bad situation. Make sure an adult accompanies them back to the ship.

Archived