Putting someone else's kid in my cabin on paper.

Can we agree that an emergency can happen at any time of day? So, if you and your spouse book a wonderful suite and invite thirty friends to enjoy your company, suite and balcony for a long, delightful party, there are now 28 extra people in that area of the ship. Have you created an unsafe condition? Will the coast guard break up your party? If there was an emergency, 28 people are far from their life jackets and will have to obtain one at their far away muster station! Oh my.

even worse, if an emergency happens in the evening, nearly half the passengers are in the dining room and most of the others are in the theater....None of them have immediate access to the life vests in their cabins. In a dire emergency, all will need to get life vests at their muster stations. Will dinner and shows be cancelled by the coast guard when they discover this danger? Or will they simply insist that enough lifejackets be at the muster stations?

Can a fifth child safely visit his parents and siblings in their cabin during the day, but not at night due to a safety concern? If the three year old does stay overnight with his family (rather than in his assigned cabin say four doors down), are hallway conditions suddenly unsafe in an emergency? Or are conditions safer as the tot will be more easily contorted by his nuclear family rather than screaming and thrashing with a family friend?

I do not know how tightly the coast guard regulates passenger density, but I somehow doubt the coast guard is deeply concerned if a three year old shares his parents bed. Or if grandkids sleep overnight on the floor of their grandparents cabin while the parent enjoy some private time.

Of course we can agree about emergencies. Heck, we live in CA and have had earthquakes strike at the most inconvenient times. But I was talking/asking specifically about NCL saying it's fine with them to have 5 sleep in a cabin for 4. I know it's not up to the cruise lines to say so. Realistically, I'm sure it happens often with families and groups traveling together.

beachchick

OP - I am really very sorry that your friend has put you in this unfortunate situation as I am sure this chaos is effecting your enjoyment of planning your cruise for your family. I can tell you one thing, I had, yes had, a very good friend that would come up with all kind of schemes that I wanted no part of. Yet she expected me to be right there amongst the drama. Eventually, the chaos was too much and we are no longer friends. What I have learned, bottom line, is nothing good comes from trying to pull scams or doing what you really know is not right. Here's hoping that no matter what becomes of your friendship or your friend's cruise, that you and your family have a great time on your vacation. Best of Luck! :)

TOLTALLY agree. As I've been reading all the posts what jumps out at me is this is not even family; this is supposedly a friend. A friend that, in My opinion, is taking advantage. Vacations, and vacation budgets, should be planned on what each person is comfortable spending. If your friend is not comfortable with paying for 5 they should find another alternative.

I'm sorry you were put in this position.

We always travel with lots of family - cousins and such. Several nights we had sleepovers in our cabin with 4 or 5 children. We're a close-knit family and don't mind being together ;)

The room steward even asked if we needed more pillows for them....so seriously I don't think it's as big a deal as it seems.

We always travel with lots of family - cousins and such. Several nights we had sleepovers in our cabin with 4 or 5 children. We're a close-knit family and don't mind being together ;)

The room steward even asked if we needed more pillows for them....so seriously I don't think it's as big a deal as it seems.

I'm very happy that you can travel with and enjoy family.

However, a quick read of this thread, not to mention the post immediately preceeding yours, would make it clear that the topic here is not about family at all. We're talking putting a child into the cabin of someone who is a) unrelated to the child, and b) not traveling WITH the child's family.

I think thats a little different than traveling with your relatives.

Archived