Oriana First Time

Dancer Bob

11.30 is a bit early for me to be calling it a night. But North Americans tend to be a bit more into latin than I've found for UK, so if the DJ does good contemporary music, that works fine. If all they do is the loud thump-thump-thump pandering to the drunks, that's not good; it sounds like Crows Nest should be available for them.

We have just booked our 3 rd cruise on Oriana but the first since the refit. We have booked one of the new inside cabins D209. Does anyone have any info or better still photos of this cabin?

Sue

11.30 is a bit early for me to be calling it a night. But North Americans tend to be a bit more into latin than I've found for UK, so if the DJ does good contemporary music, that works fine. If all they do is the loud thump-thump-thump pandering to the drunks, that's not good; it sounds like Crows Nest should be available for them.

Relax Bob, the Crow's Nest on Oriana is a beautiful room and not the habitat of drunks. There is a small dance-floor and a Combo usually plays adjacent to it. Each time we have been there they play a variety of music but mostly 'standards' and these are suitable for the 'smoochin' type of dance. It's not really a 'disco' venue at all. On the opposite side of the room they used to have some brilliant 'jazz nights' which were very popular - but not at the same time of course:) The very late-night dancing in Harlequins is what it says - varying tracks suitable for disco. So not much latin. Sometimes it is popular but often there are very few people there.

Without things have changed, Harlequins features an assortment of ballroom, latin, and several of the popular sequence dances - all to the correct tempos.

Foxy

Foxy

That's good news. Singles are always a gamble, but I figure the odds are better than any land package I could put together for the same price. I've never met Denarius or davecttr and may be completely misinterpreting their posts.

Now if I can just get P&O to take my money. The latest story is the agent in Austin TX has an exclusive for all of North America. That makes no more sense than an agent in Warsaw for all of Europe, or telling the Scots they have to book through English agents.

P&O still hasn't taken my money! It turns out they only have one North American agent, in Austin TX. That's not very good, and not just because of knee-jerk Canadian nationalism. My agent is signing up with them- they have to jump through hoops even though they've been around since 1948 and do a lot of business with Carnival brands. So I don't expect to see many North Americans on board.

On to the mundane. I'll be finishing a European tour and will have a suitcase full of laundry. Does Oriana have self-serve machines? Or is there somewhere convenient in Soton? Except for my tuxedo, I don't pack anything that's not washable.

Sharon- do you have any pictures of Harlequin dance floor?

Yes - two or three self-serve launderettes on board (free but take your own wash tablets) or a cabin laundry service.

You are right that it is mainly British on board, but I have met a few US and other nationalities - especially Aussies, so good luck booking. Can you not book direct - or is that too simple for P&O??

In effect, I'm booking direct- my agent is making the calls for me even though they're not sure they'll get any commission. The P&O form said payments can be made by snail mail, so I've sent a payment that way.

There's a couple of dance groups around here I travel with, they want to try something besides the Caribbean. That's one of the reasons I want to have a look at Oriana, and why my agent was interested.

• 4 weeks later...

At last, P&O took my money. I was wondering if I would have to walk into Carol's office and throw a bag of cash on her desk.

I've been watching all the posts about Vantage/Getaway fares. Be interesting to see how they treat early booking, cash up front.

I'm currently checking out the dance environment on Costa Deliziosa, haven't talked to my agent to see if they're going to get any commission. The owner has a British passport, he's not very impressed over his treatment by his fellow countrymen.

• 2 months later...

You might want to pack a multisocket adapter/extension lead too, as from memory there are only one, maybe two sockets available and with all the chargers we need nowadays it's useful to have more.

Your right Sharon,our cabin only had one socket. We used a special multi purpose plug to charge our i phone and kindle and removed it when I needed to use my hair straighteners. The only time it was a problem was when I was straightening my hair and my OH fancied a cup of tea so needed plug to boil the kettle. We compromised and had a G and T instead. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I've arranged my air so I'll be in Soton a couple of days pre- and post-cruise. Are there any places for dancing, either socially or classes? I do International style, bronze/silver, so I can fit just about anywhere, but I'm not planning on renting a car so I'll be limited to public transit.

Archived