Letter needed from divorced parent?

2Oregonians

Asked and answered, I know. But I want to see if anyone has RECENT experience with this situation.

We are traveling with a lot of family, and one of them is my brother-in-law who is divorced and has joint custody of his 7 yr-old daughter. His daughter is going to travel with him.

The question is - does he need a note from his ex-wife stating that she knows about the trip and gives her consent for it?

Btw, we are going to Alaska, so the only out-of-country visit will be Victoria, B.C.

So has anyone dealt with this recently? Did you bring a letter? Were you asked for it?

We have mentioned to him that he should get one, but he's a know-it-all and will either do if he feels like it, or not. I realize it's his own fault if he is denied boarding, or delayed while something is faxed, but I'd just like further advice from someone on CC that I could tell him about. Thanks!!

Forget NCL, check the Custody order to make sure he doesn't violate it. Also the State Department highly suggests the parent obtain a letter of consent from the other parent. I know from experience with a former client (i'm a lawyer) that a vindictive spouse can wreak havoc with a phone call stating the kid has been kidnapped.

He will need to complete a Parent Guardian Consent/Release unless he has sole custody as well as the requirements for the Canadian Government. If not they could be standing waving goodbye to the rest of you.

This is from the NCL website:

Bringing Minors In to Canada

Canadian entry requirements stipulate that a child under the age of 18 traveling alone, or with person(s) other than both parents, should be in possession of a letter (preferably notarized) from the parents or legal guardian containing:

Authorization for the child to travel with another person and to be outside the country;

The name and a 24-hour contact telephone number of the parents or guardian; and

The destination and length of stay in Canada.

Adoptive parents, legal guardians or persons separated or divorced are advised to keep legal and other relevant documents available in order to clarify custody rights.

Last time we travelled we had the documentation above and were required to have a copy of the Birth Certificate for my Son as well as the Order that covered him.

Good luck.

I'd get the form, the copy of the DL and a letter saying the parent knows the child is traveling and get that letter notarized. The letter isn't needed but every time we've taken a friend of my daughter's with us that is what we do. When we check in the staff is pleased that we went the extra mile to get the letter notarized. I also make a copy of all of it for myself. Miami port took all the papers, Tampa gave them back. I feel safer having a copy with me in case there is a question in a port city.

Asked and answered, I know. But I want to see if anyone has RECENT experience with this situation.

We are traveling with a lot of family, and one of them is my brother-in-law who is divorced and has joint custody of his 7 yr-old daughter. His daughter is going to travel with him.

The question is - does he need a note from his ex-wife stating that she knows about the trip and gives her consent for it?

Btw, we are going to Alaska, so the only out-of-country visit will be Victoria, B.C.

So has anyone dealt with this recently? Did you bring a letter? Were you asked for it?

We have mentioned to him that he should get one, but he's a know-it-all and will either do if he feels like it, or not. I realize it's his own fault if he is denied boarding, or delayed while something is faxed, but I'd just like further advice from someone on CC that I could tell him about. Thanks!!

This is something that is quite serious and not something that the cruise lines (NCL or anyone) is going to change their policy over. They can't afford to be an accessory to child abduction - parental or otherwise.

If your BIL wants to take his daughter (joint custody or not), he should be smart enough to get a NOTARIZED statement from his ex saying she is aware of the cruise, she gives her permission, the dates the daughter is allowed to be gone, a phone # where she can be reached in case of emergency and then she should sign it, date it and have it notarized and return it to him.

We were on a cruise 2 years ago and another joint-custody parent tried to take his son with him and his family and he didn't have a Signed Consent from his ex and he wasn't allowed to take his son. Heartbreak all around.

Here is the link to the form he will need:

http://www.ncl.com/csimages/214/345/ParentGuardianForm_2.pdf

It used to have to be notarized, but now the non-traveling parent must attach a photocopy of their driver's license along with the signed form.

Tracy

even though it doesn't require it for NCL I suggest you get it notarized any way...

I'm a divorced mother of five who has taken all five cruising, who lives on the Canadian border, and who is also a child custody lawyer:

1. Have him bring a note from mom, notarized, dated, and generally listing the voyage/vacation

2. Have him bring the order if he can find it

3. No, I've never been asked at check in for a cruise but my kids have, and they've answered ("yeah, this is my mom and we're going on a cruise")

4. Yes, I have been asked at the Canadian border and my kids have, sometimes with extreme seriousness ("Who is this? Why are you with her? Who are these other people with you?"). Considering we were crossing every day to get to our cottage and they could see that on their computers it made me want to strangle them, especially after waiting 45 minutes n the bridge, but that's another story.

Upshot: I get that your brother isn't going to want to listen to you and you'll probably be fine.

Archived