Porter tip?

hova

• 5 months later...

I was on the Magic last week and tipped $6 for 3 bags for myself and 2 friends. The porter took the money, fanned it out and then gestured that it wasn't enough. I was so angry!! I thought the normal was $1 per bag so he was getting double. :mad: It was not a good start to the day!!

Sorry to go slightly off topic but is it frowned upon in the USA to carry your own bags from your car to your hotel room. I really do feel uncomfortable having someone carry my bag when I am capable of doing so myself. I have always done this but have only previously travelled in Australia and Asia.

Sorry to go slightly off topic but is it frowned upon in the USA to carry your own bags from your car to your hotel room. I really do feel uncomfortable having someone carry my bag when I am capable of doing so myself. I have always done this but have only previously travelled in Australia and Asia.

This depends greatly upon which part of the country you are in and the "level" of hotel you are staying at. But, no, it is not frowned upon, generally speaking.

Oh, and by the way...Looking at your countdown clocks, are you trying out every cruise line company? :D

If you want to take your own bags to your hotel room, then do it and don't worry about it at all! We do it ALL the time. Well, except after getting to the hotel after a Hawaiian cruise and we were just exhausted. We let the bellboy carry everything for us! Not the norm for us at all...

• 2 weeks later...
This depends greatly upon which part of the country you are in and the "level" of hotel you are staying at. But, no, it is not frowned upon, generally speaking.

Oh, and by the way...Looking at your countdown clocks, are you trying out every cruise line company? :D

Almost. Princess and HAL stop us Aussies from using a U.S trave agent so they can price gouge us. So they are on the banned list. Then we couldn't afford Seabourn, Regent etc. Thought Cunard might be a little "stuffy". Had a Costa TA booked till Celebrity became cheaper. As first timers with plans to do many more we are trying to find out if we have a preference or not. We also had to tie in our TA and Canal cruises which we pre selected for date and best price in the first place.

We always have two bags to check, and we hand the guy a $5 bill, and he always seems to be happy with it. Last time he went out of his way to make sure the FTTF sticker was attached so it would be delivered early. It was at our door before we got to the room about 45 minutes after dropping it with the porter.

Archived