Anyone doing an Un-Cruise in Alaska this summer?

Shazzah

I've read all the reviews I can find on Un-Cruise Adventures ( including what was previously called Innerseas Discoveries and American Safari). Would be interested in hearng from folks who have booked for this year, or have cruised with them in the past.

We are booked for May 18th out of Juneau on the Wilderness Discovery, and will be doing two additional weeks (a B2B2B ?). Really looking forward to it, but feeling lonely ;)

We were on the Safari Explorer in May 2010 on a two week from Seattle to Juneau. Incredible experience. We're looking at booking again this summer. Food was better than most the major lines, kayaks onboard, customer service was casual but the best we've ever received at sea. Anything specific?

Here are some photos from our trip.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107326259154545546042/albums?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1#photos/107326259154545546042/albums/5472080881357542817

Thanks, Glaciers. I enjoyed looking at your photos.

Not looking for anything specific, just general info on people's experiences, since there isn't a lot of info available. What I have found has been very positive (with one exception).

• 2 weeks later...

We're on S.S. Legacy in August and absolutely cannot wait. Have been to Alaska before and it really stole our hearts. Thrilled to see it in a new way, with all coastal cruising and a fantastic itinerary: http://www.un-***********/alaska-gold-rush-legacy?tab=ships

I don't usually get all that excited about trips, but this one has me over the moon. :)

We were on the Safari Explorer in May 2010 on a two week from Seattle to Juneau. Incredible experience. We're looking at booking again this summer. Food was better than most the major lines, kayaks onboard, customer service was casual but the best we've ever received at sea. Anything specific?

Here are some photos from our trip.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107326259154545546042/albums?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1#photos/107326259154545546042/albums/5472080881357542817

We are on Safari Endeavor in June. First trip to Alaska and first Un-cruise. Can't wait!

• 1 month later...

Hi Shazzah. We were on the Safari Quest last August and it was fabulous. It was a 7-day Juneau to Juneau trip and we never saw a town once we left Juneau. The food was fantastic and we were treated so well by the staff. On our boat we were allowed free access to the pilot house and I hope you will be too. We saw a lot of the big ships as we made our trip and I felt so sorry for them. When something interesting happened (whales, bear, seals, etc.) they would stop and let us watch what was unfolding. The big guys just kept going. I wish I were going with you.

On our boat we were allowed free access to the pilot house and I hope you will be too.

We were able to do that on the Safari Explorer as well. It was very nice to go up there with a cup of coffee in the morning as we were motoring along.

Good to hear everyone has enjoyed their Un-Cruises.

We are just off the Wilderness Discoverer after two weeks doing the Western Coves and Eastern Coves of the Inside Passage. Both trips were wonderful - beautiful sunshine most of the time, saw a couple of bears, some sea otters, quite a few whales and more. The trip is exceeding expectations.

We are now spending the day in Juneau as we wait to board the Wilderness Explorer for another week touring Glacier Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on the Safari Explorer in July. We are just off the Allure, so it will be interesting going from the largest cruise ship in the world to one of the smallest! I'm really hoping we get to see quite a bit of wildlife, and perhaps do some hiking.

Any suggestions for our time in Juneau?

Bella - if you've not seen it, a visit to the Mendenhall Glacier is worth doing. Even though you will probably see glaciers on your tour, you can do a nice hike and get close to the glacier at Juneau.

We are home from our Un-Cruise 3-week adventure now. Our third week was on the Wilderness Explorer where we spent 3 days in Glacier Bay on our route from Juneau to Sitka. We were fortunate in our wildlife viewing opportunities. A few photos from our week on the Explorer - note, the bear and wolf were from quite a distance. The other wildlife was reasonably close to the boat.

8W9C0062-Edit-M.jpg

8W9C9656-Edit-M.jpg

8W9C9788-Edit-M.jpg

IMG_2616-Edit-M.jpg

IMG_0003-Edit-Edit-M.jpg

IMG_9483-Edit-M.jpg

(See next post for two more photos.)

We did see wildlife on our first two weeks on the Wilderness Discoverer, but nothing to compare to the last week on the Explorer. It may have helped that this was a little later as well.

I'd be hard pressed to say which week we liked the best. My husband preferred the Eastern Coves, I would have to pick Glacier Bay. Ideally, combining the Glacier Bay week with one of the Coves tours would be a great way to go.

Edited by Shazzah

• 1 month later...

As you can tell by the photos in my previous post we were bundled up a couple nights while whale watching. It was in the upper 30's. Kind of lose sight of the cold when the whale watching was so good and they just brought you a cup of hot chocolate.

We were on the repositioning trip at the beginning of May from Seattle to Juneau on the Safari Explorer. It was really an incredible experience. Many of our nights were sitting in a secluded bay or cove with no one around for miles. Places you would never experience on a larger cruise ship.

• Members

Hi everyone. I work at Cruise Critic and have been fortunate to do two small ship Alaska cruises, one on Un-Cruise's Wilderness Discoverer in 2011 (review here) and one this June on the Baranof Dream with Alaskan Dream Cruises (review is done, but yet to be published).

I enjoyed both of them immensely! In my opinion, small ships give you a much better vantage point for Alaska's wildlife. If you're not sure if a small ship is for you, check out this piece I wrote about expedition-style cruising a few years ago.

The Un-Cruise was a little more active, as the ship carries its own kayaks and stand-up paddle boards. The days were much more structured around activities instead of ports.

The Baranof Dream, though, won points for authenticity. The ship had both a cultural (Tlinget) guide and a scientific guide. Plus it's run by a company, Allen Marine, that has been in Alaska a long time.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!

Edited by Cruise Critic Chris

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bella O- How did your trip go? Also, how did the experience compare to your "big ship" experience? Would love your feedback. Considering a small ship cruise to see more wildlife; but, interesting in knowing how the experience compared to your overall cruise experience on a big ship. Also, did you go on and Adventure or Luxury cruise with Un-Cruise. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I am very interested in booking the Wilderness Discovery Western Coves Kids in Nature cruise... any feedback about either the ship or the itinerary? For those of you who've done both the Eastern Coves and Western Coves, any thoughts on which was better? Has anyone taken kids on these trips? Mine will be 8 and 9 at the time of sailing... both excellent swimmers and have kayaking experience.... but one is a picky eater- are there any accomodations for that possible? Thanks!!!