A myriad of questions - Prague to Nuremberg logistics

Live4cruises

We made final payment yesterday, so trip fever is upon us!

We are spending several days independently in Prague before joining our Scenic cruise in Nuremberg. We've decided on the bus, but have several questions:

In Prague, we'll be staying in the Little Quarter. About how much time should we anticipate to get across town to the bus/train station on a Monday morning? I'm fairly certain that public transportation will not be a good option for us with luggage, so we'll need to do a taxi or car service.

About how much before departure should we arrive at the bus/train station? I wouldn't do less than 1/2 hour, but want to be sure there's not any reason to get there 2 hours ahead. :eek:

We have a choice of buses that arrive in Nuremberg at 13:15 or 15:15. At about what time does boarding begin on the boat?

Is the dock in Nuremberg convenient for public transport or sightseeing? My thought is that if we board early we might have time to do some independent exploring before any scheduled activities.

Thank you for suggestions ~ we are excited about this trip!

Live4Cruises, you will love Prague if you haven't been there before. We ended a Budadpest to Regensburg cruise there last year and it was one of our favorite cities of many we visited on that trip (we toured across Germany and Austria before embarking in Budapest).

I'm not sure about your cross-town drive time re the bus departure, but if you ask someone who lives in Prague once you are there it might be a good source to verify whatever advice you receive on this board.

We stayed in your area of Prague last year and loved it. The traffic can be daunting though; we arrived at the train station at rush hour and the drive to the hotel was a bit frenetic. We researched reliable taxi services ahead of time using TripAdvisor and had good luck, although the hotel arranged a car service for us to the airport upon departure and they were good too - reliable and not expensive.

If you are interested in hiring a private guide in Prague, we really liked the guide we found (also through TripAdvisor). He guided our group of 4 for two days in Prague and we got so much more out of our visit than we would have just seeing the town on our own. If you would like the name, feel free to email me separately at travelingfool93(AT)ymail(DOT)com.

Re embarkation time on the river boat, in a different thread here recently I saw several people mention you would be allowed to board in the late morning at least in the common areas and to drop your bags. On our AMA cruise from Budapest the cabins opened at 3pm, but there was a lunch prepared in the lounge ahead of time and we boarded around 1pm, had a light lunch and went back out to see more of the city (our cruise overnighted in Budapest the first day, so there was no rush to get back to the boat - except for dinner. :D). Enjoy your trip!

You should be able to board the Scenic ship anytime from 11 onwards but may have to have your bags stored for you if rooms are not ready. The docks in Nuremberg are not close to town to walk and there is no taxi stand. Having said that, the reception desk will call a taxi for you if you want to go into town. Before you book your train or bus from Prague, check with Scenic to see if they have a pre cruise in Prague that your could buy into the transfer portion. The bus ride from Prague to Nuremberg is about 3 hrs if I remember correctly, maybe a bit more, but nice to see the scenery. I have found Scenic very accomodating in the past. We met them at the pre cruise hotel in Amsterdam and took advantage of the transfer to the dock, but did not purchase the pre cruise hotel package in Amsterdam from them.

Archived