Embarkation lunch....mass hysteria?

I do not know what you mean by "line cutters". Often I want ONE item from the line. There may be a line of people waiting to get their plates and start picking up items all along the line. I already have my plate and want one thing. I will wait for a gap and just step in, scoop up the item I want and back away. If you consider me a "line cutter", so be it....

I almost always do this...Im a vegetarian, why on earth should I hold up a space in front of the carving station? If there is a line at the salad I wait in line, but I bypass the trays of meat and look for a gap just for vegetable, I'm sure it makes the meat station move much faster than me being one of those people just staring at food I don't intend to take! Judgement is needed to do it politely.

There is no "rule" that prohibits sharing tables!

Most of the tables seat four or more and most cruisers are couples. Therefore, most table are only half full.

We have never hesitated to ask people (total strangers on boarding day) if we can join them. We have met interesting people and made a lot of new friends doing this.

This is it exactly, Trainman! If one wants total privacy order room service, request a two top at the MDR, buy a suite, sail on a luxury liner.

But at least on embarkation day, we are all in this together! We are sailing RCL, we expect a few thousand guests, we expect to be able to meet them in communal places like a buffet/cafeteria. We often share one side of the 4 top table rather than sit kitty corner to make sure it looks inviting to others seeking a seat. We might even make eye contact and say "there are two seats here" We've met some nice folks! Slap on a smile, embrace cultural and manner differences, revel in the fact that the world is not full of all the same people. It's a buffet, you aren't stuck there long if its not working out.:D

I keep reading how the windjammer is a free for all and no seats...crowded...savages at the buffet. YUCK! I do not remember that at all from my last two cruises with RCI (EOS and SOS). Has something changed? Is there a place you can go and dine in a civilized manner with a glass of wine after you board? We are on the GOS in May. Thanks!

If you can separate yourself from the pigs at the trough, it's actually quite entertaining. Everything is in perspective. :) People were literally running to the buffet on Majesty a few weeks ago !

Let's ALL keep in mind the OP is asking about Grandeur OTS!

It's been a while since we had a very nice cruise on Grandeur ... but embarkation day was a total zoo in the lido buffet for lunch ... like it is on all ships. :rolleyes:

For the rest of the cruise things were back to normal for lunch options.

LuLu

~~~~

I also think the food also improves after day one.... Think I will try the solarium this next. I do have to admit that the hub bub and excitement in the WJ on that first day does add a sense of "oh boy we're finally on the ship" to the day.

I also think the food also improves after day one.... Think I will try the solarium this next. I do have to admit that the hub bub and excitement in the WJ on that first day does add a sense of "oh boy we're finally on the ship" to the day.

I'm with you! We are some of the few that actually like to go there to eat and to watch all the hub bub as you say on embarkation day. You see some funny stuff in there. It is funny to see the size of the plates of food that some people come back to the table with. It's like they don't know that they can go back through again for seconds! The WJ on embarkation day starts my cruise excitement for the week!

Yes...This! :cool:

Also on that 1st day we know there are a lot of people trying to find tables and eat also, so we don't sit and have big conversations on the 1st day! One thing I found out by being here on CC is on my last cruise on Serenade Of The Seas I knew about the outdoor seating so we headed out there and there was only about 2 other tables occupied. Most folks didn't find out about that little Gem until about the 3rd day of the cruise.

Hey Mike,

Same thing here. On our Jewel cruise we got our food and went straight upstairs to sit at the table in front of the Seaview Cafe. It wasn't open for dining, but there were a couple of tables out there. Had a lovely lunch that was nice and quiet. The back area outside of the Windjammer wasn't as crowded either.

It seems that most people go to their right as the enter the WJ. Then they stop at the first buffet line and form a long line waiting to go through. We laugh at them and walk on past to the rest of the serving stations in the back. Usually, they are relatively empty of people. We also get a chuckle out of the people who wait in line first, load up their plates and then wander around looking for a table balancing the plate and drinks.

The first thing we do is walk to the back and find a table. Then go back to the serving lines to find what we want.

Darn! Someone else has my M.O.! ;):D

That's exactly what we do, too!

I'm with you! We are some of the few that actually like to go there to eat and to watch all the hub bub as you say on embarkation day. You see some funny stuff in there. It is funny to see the size of the plates of food that some people come back to the table with. It's like they don't know that they can go back through again for seconds! The WJ on embarkation day starts my cruise excitement for the week!

Oh my gosh. That is so true.

I keep reading how the windjammer is a free for all and no seats...crowded...savages at the buffet. YUCK! I do not remember that at all from my last two cruises with RCI (EOS and SOS). Has something changed? Is there a place you can go and dine in a civilized manner with a glass of wine after you board? We are on the GOS in May. Thanks!

We've never seen anything remotely close to this. Its always a fun day with lots to eat and plenty of places to sit and enjoy.

Having said that, I wish they'd open the dining room on embarkation day like NCL does. Its a nice treat.

Archived