Snorkeling from the beach Grand Cayman

drscooby74

Where is the best snorkeling from the beach in Grand Cayman? We are coming in on a cruise ship at the end of September and was thinking about doing Sting Ray city and snorkeling trip but would also like to see about just snorkeling from the beach.

Eden Rock isn't too bad considering the traffic it gets. Swim a bit farther out from Eden Rock & the next site is Devil's Grotto, still relatively close to shore. There are buoys marking the location. The highlights were, I saw a school of over 100 Blue Tang & schools of Squid.

Another cool spot is directly out from Hammerheads bar. You'll encounter many huge Tarpon around the base of the bar's deck which is in the water. 100' straight out there is a shipwreck in 40' crystal clear water, holding many fish.

Are these spots the best in the Caribbean? No. But consider it costs you exactly nothing to walk to them.

Well worth spending a couple of hours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

If it's a relatively quiet cruise day we snorkeled the Wreck of the Cali just offshore. From the port walk LEFT until you see Rackham's Bar. Just before it is a dive shop that has a pier, or you can go in from the back of Rackham's. The wreck is in quite shallow water. I say ' if it's a relatively quiet cruise day' because it gets quite busy in the area with excursion boats. We swam out on our own and stuck in the area of some excursion snorkelers. We had no issues.

This is how close to the ships you are. Photo taken from pier at back of dive shop.

ImageUploadedByForums1376842300.652176.jpg.98d88a27d52576d965473bc30018797f.jpg

Some of the underwater scenery. Lots to look at. ImageUploadedByForums1376842367.703314.jpg.6ddd59c557454bb6b1b1068066e25c08.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1376842360.109367.jpg.da3ddd386e833682faa8000d7ede3334.jpg

We also like snorkeling from Eden's Rock and Devil's Grotto (as previously posted) or from the shore at Smith Cove, which is a bit of a hike, but walkable from port. It's just past Sunset House. We always see some fun stuff there.

ImageUploadedByForums1376842567.217849.jpg.007377993447e7cf529ec210c92926e2.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1376842576.351550.jpg.11e4fecb324befa93945bc053ef50456.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1376842583.984609.jpg.b142b5e589277b2bfd8ba6deeee78070.jpg

You can swim out to a rock formation a bit from shore as well.

ImageUploadedByForums1376842670.768389.jpg.f361918fdbb2e1a64b95347b3ab8a60f.jpg

Snorkel Dawg - Smith Cove is a good spot for short amounts of snorkeling and for beginners. It's generally quiet there because it lacks everything the average cruising beach goer is looking for (like more than one toilet, lol). There's 2 entry points carved out of the iron shore. To the right you can scoot back into a little channel and see some fish hiding out under the iron shore overhang. My hubby swims out to the rock on the left while I watch from the beach. There is definitely not a huge amount to see there but it works for us for a snorkel/beach day combo.

I should also say that Smith Cove is where we got engaged AND married, so it is a special place for me. ;)

I'm not a big fan or snorkeling or fish, I prefer the beach. But I snorkel everywhere we go because I know it's something I can't see at home. It also leads to some beach days for me ... tit for tat with the hubby. For someone that doesn't like snorkeling, I've been in the water with more reef and nurse sharks and barracuda than I care to count. Lol.

Another spot to try would be Cemetery Beach, although you'd have to take a bus up there. It's near the top of Seven Mile Beach, just look for the white fenced cemetery on the left.

Snorkel Dawg - Smith Cove is a good spot for short amounts of snorkeling and for beginners. It's generally quiet there because it lacks everything the average cruising beach goer is looking for (like more than one toilet, lol). There's 2 entry points carved out of the iron shore. To the right you can scoot back into a little channel and see some fish hiding out under the iron shore overhang. My hubby swims out to the rock on the left while I watch from the beach. There is definitely not a huge amount to see there but it works for us for a snorkel/beach day combo.

I should also say that Smith Cove is where we got engaged AND married, so it is a special place for me. ;)

I'm not a big fan or snorkeling or fish, I prefer the beach. But I snorkel everywhere we go because I know it's something I can't see at home. It also leads to some beach days for me ... tit for tat with the hubby. For someone that doesn't like snorkeling, I've been in the water with more reef and nurse sharks and barracuda than I care to count. Lol.

Another spot to try would be Cemetery Beach, although you'd have to take a bus up there. It's near the top of Seven Mile Beach, just look for the white fenced cemetery on the left.

CDNJehn-Thanks for the description of Smith Cove. I can see why it's very special for you, very cool!

Next time you are in Grand Caymen I highly reccomend snorkeling from Eden Rock & a bit farther out checking out Devil's Grotto. These pics of a 100+ school of beautiful Blue Tang we followed around. There is not much of a "beach" there at all but not bad snorkeling so close to the ship & pier!

9548685451_97003b0d80_b.jpg

R1-01045-011A by snokeldawgs, on Flickr

9551467612_961a89e747_b.jpg

R1-01045-010A by snokeldawgs, on Flickr

I had considered Cemetery Beach & reef on our last trip to GC but we never got that far, lol. maybe next time. Have you been? and if so what were your impressions?

Behind us is a Princess ship and our ship the Celebrity Eclipse!

9551486414_2f885cd7ed_b.jpg

R1-01045-023A by snokeldawgs, on Flickr

Happy crusing to you,

Dawg

We have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and have yet to see a Reef or Nurse Shark (even though I'm sure a few have seen us) so consider yourself lucky to have seen them!

Where is the best snorkeling from the beach in Grand Cayman? We are coming in on a cruise ship at the end of September and was thinking about doing Sting Ray city and snorkeling trip but would also like to see about just snorkeling from the beach.

If you're considering a snorkel excursion we did a good one that had three stops including Starfish Point, Coral Gardens and Stingray City. It was through Tours Cayman. Very good price, great service.

Archived