Help me pick a first time cruise

kab996

Scared to cruise because of vertigo. Can someone tell me the best size ship and best cabin to pick in order to feel the least amount of motion? I am looking at Carnival cruises to the Bahamas. 3 or 4 day cruise to try it out. Any tips on how to stay free from motion sickness without being a total zombie on meds?

Thank you

I suffer from vertigo but have never been sea sick. I also met someone on our last cruise who also suffers from vertigo, but cruises all the time.

I've been told that the two conditions are not related. Both cause nausea, but the vertigo is an inner ear thing with crystals not being where they belong and the seasickness is related to your how your brain reconciles what you are seeing (no movement) and what you are feeling (movement). If you haven't been to the ENT for an Eppley maneuver to treat the vertigo, I highly recommend it.

If you are concerned, I would take a Bonine at night before bed and ginger pills during the day for any nausea. This combination is generally recommended on the boards.

That being said, I generally pick a cabin mid ship and a lower deck--as much in the middle as possible. With a balcony.

I think any itinerary runs the risk of rough seas, but they say a larger ship handles it better.

Hope this helps allay your worries. I love to cruise and can't wait till we leave again in 44 days.

Kelly

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

I think any itinerary runs the risk of rough seas, but they say a larger ship handles it better.

It's true, but not 100% true. Larger ship handle rough seas better, but they also tend to be top-heavy. (Just picture Norwegian Epic or Oasis of the Seas.) That, combined with a shallow draft (its depth in the water), makes the ship more likely to sway in a crosswind (against the side of the ship). The greater stability also comes from the fact that larger ships were built later and have better technology. So yes, larger ships tend to be more stable, but not dramatically so; any ship can rock in rough weather.

I wanted to add and what I should have said before, was that my vertigo has never been triggered by ship motion.

Of course, everyone's different, so YMMV. Do other sources of motion trigger it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I was just diagnosed with vertigo in December and I was worried I'd never really be able to sail again. Just completed a 7 day on the Norwegian EPIC and had no problems whatsoever! Even when the ship the ship had a slight roll, there was no nausea or dizziness for me. I was so happy, as I'd been so worried when I had my diagnosis.

So, if motion isn't a trigger for you I wouldn't even worry about cruising. I feel dizzy in regular movie theaters more than I do on the ocean. :)

Scared to cruise because of vertigo. Can someone tell me the best size ship and best cabin to pick in order to feel the least amount of motion? I am looking at Carnival cruises to the Bahamas. 3 or 4 day cruise to try it out. Any tips on how to stay free from motion sickness without being a total zombie on meds?

Thank you

I've had vertigo since 1998, and after 21 cruises can honestly say I've never been dizzy on a ship (well...except for perhaps after too many cocktails :) ). *knock on wood* because I don't want to START getting dizzy on a ship.

My vertigo is non-stop, at all times, no matter what. My brain has compensated nicely, and I'm accustomed to this feeling. However, getting DIZZY for me means my vertigo is in the middle of a spin, and for me, that typically happens in large open spaces with ceilings (think Costco, as a good example). Try booking mid-ship, lower deck, as a previous poster suggested.

I suffer from vertigo but have never been sea sick. I also met someone on our last cruise who also suffers from vertigo, but cruises all the time.

I've been told that the two conditions are not related. Both cause nausea, but the vertigo is an inner ear thing with crystals not being where they belong and the seasickness is related to your how your brain reconciles what you are seeing (no movement) and what you are feeling (movement). If you haven't been to the ENT for an Eppley maneuver to treat the vertigo, I highly recommend it.

I must tell you that I got a little giddy when I read your post. I was a patient of Dr. John Epley. He's retired now, but still in Portland. He's well into his 80s and a had a stroke I believe in 2011 that caused him to retire. Otherwise, he'd still be practicing. Yes, he did the Epley Maneuver on me as well as a GAZILLION other tests. I feel extremely fortunate to have had him as my doctor as he is world-renowned for his treatment of vertigo. I've never heard anyone mention his name before, and I'm so surprised when I DO mention his name and someone knows who I'm talking about! :D

And rather than an ENT, I recommend an Otolaryngologist (this is what Dr. Epley is). ;)

Choose a stateroom on the absolutely lowest passenger deck, and as close to midships as possible. This is by the very nature of geometry the smoothest possible passenger area. You will not find a balcony on these decks, but IMHO being 3-4 decks lower than most ships have balconies are are well worth the reduced motion for those who suffer from motion related issues.

That said, I get seasick at the drop of a hat on small vessels - whale watching boats for example, even the huge one that we went on from the Boston Aquarium...I get sick on...however, I've never been incapacitated seasick on a cruise.

Most cruise lines give out motion sickness tablets for free - Meclizine on Royal Caribbean, for example. Take advantage of them.

I've been told that the two conditions are not related.

Per above ....

Have vertigo! No problem ever on a cruise and I've cruised well over 60 times!

Never take any of the things for becoming seasick! It's so not a problem.

LuLu

~~~~

I must tell you that I got a little giddy when I read your post. I was a patient of Dr. John Epley. He's retired now, but still in Portland. He's well into his 80s and a had a stroke I believe in 2011 that caused him to retire. Otherwise, he'd still be practicing. Yes, he did the Epley Maneuver on me as well as a GAZILLION other tests. I feel extremely fortunate to have had him as my doctor as he is world-renowned for his treatment of vertigo. I've never heard anyone mention his name before, and I'm so surprised when I DO mention his name and someone knows who I'm talking about! :D

And rather than an ENT, I recommend an Otolaryngologist (this is what Dr. Epley is). ;)

I am immensely grateful that Dr. Epley figured this out. My GP was really no help, nor was the first ENT, who also tried the Epley on me. I was miserable. I'm glad you have been able to adapt. After several months, I finally got in to see someone who specializes in balance issues. I love him. :-) He practically had me turned upside down when he performed the Epley maneuver, but it worked for me. It's been since August and I've had no head spinning. And, now that you mention it, I think he is an Otolaryngologist.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

My wife suffers from vertigo, but oddly enough has never been seasick. However, we always book a mid ship stateroom so I think that has helped.

Also, she travels with ginger capsules which she starts taking a day before we leave home and then each day on our cruise.

Happy sailing everyone. It's a great way to see the world.

"And rather than an ENT, I recommend an Otolaryngologist (this is what Dr. Epley is). ;)"

FYI - An ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat Doctor) is an Otolaryngologist. Otolaryngologist is the formal name for an ENT.

I got my Os mixed up! Thanks! I meant Otologist!

Archived