Northwest Air Mechanic Strike?

Flintstone

Late last week I read in our local paper about a possible NWA mechanic strike. I searched their website and the paper...and cannot find any more info. We leave Friday for Seattle...and am concerned!

Thanks for anyone's help!!

Deb

UH-OH! I hope not! We have booked NWA for our Baltic cruise next month, near the end of July! The US airline world is just topsy-turvy these days. Glad we have travel insurance if the worst happens!

Don't worry yet - most of what you read is posturing. That doesn't mean a strike won't happen, but a number of things have to happen first. The mediator has to declare an impass, the union has to vote for a strike (they may have already authorized their reps to do this, I'm not sure), and most importantly for you, then the clock would start on a mandatory 30 day cooling off period before they could strike.

• 1 month later...

If you want updates from Northwest you can find it on their website by going to www.nwa.com and then scrollilng allt he way to the bottom. There is a link that says "About Northwest". that brings up their current news releases and on the right is a column for labor updates.

There is also a thread on the RCCL board that I said I would update with articles from that site.

Consider this is NWA's news and their releases. Ont he other thread is a link to the mechanics website as well. Plus check MSN, CNN, etc... I'm sure as they get closer to Aug 20th there will be more news on it.

Good luck.

PS- I'm flying on Aug 20th at 12:35am, which would be one of the first flights if there is a strike... I promised to post once I got back if I saw anything of interest.

Last I heard, the deadline for an agreement is Aug 20. NW still says they will continue to fly even if the mechanics walk! Why does that NOT make me feel any better !!! :confused: :confused: We're getting on a plane in Sept for New Orleans....and am watching this closely!!!!

Deb

This potential strike is looking more and more likely as the dispute rages on. NW mechanics (AMFA) are fighting NW over wage concessions and job cuts. The strike deadline is August 19th. NW claims it can run a full operation with AMFA on strike, as it has replacement workers (scabs if you wish) to take their place. There is a chance that President Bush could intervene, however, that would be more likely in the case of a flight attendant strike. (Mainly because that would cause more of an operational disaster.)

Speaking of the FA's, they could strike as well, but that would be a few months from now. I guess we will have to deal with that story later. They haven't started the 30 day cooling off period.

If NW strikes, chances are you'll get to your destination, maybe behind schedule. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Your guess would be as good as anybody else's.

I like NW. They are, and have always been my airline of choice. It is a really sad situation. The management has cut everything on the operational side of things, and the sad truth is that the wages and benefits are the only thing left to cut. I personally think that NW management may be asking for too much from it's employees in givebacks (especially the FA's). However, on the flip side of the coin, NW's wages are much higher than the industry. Good arguments can be made for both sides, and neither side wants to give one way or the other.

With oil hitting $64 dollars a barrel today, it just makes the situation more dire in Eagan to get some pay cuts. Oil seems to be the biggest problem.

Thanks for the update Jim!! I really appreciate it. NWA is also our airline of choice. They make it so convenient out of our local airport instead of having to deal with DETROIT!! I've already booked New Orleans for next month...but am waiting to see how this plays out before booking Ft. Lauderdale for Nov. May have to look at AirTran or Delta.

Who knows...maybe they'll have a great sale during the strike!! :D

Keep us posted if you can!!

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

I am flying to Vancouver next Sunday on Northwest. I know they plan to keep flying, and I am worried. TA said that NCL picked the carrier and let them worry about getting us there. Not much of a reassurance. Anyway, I saw on another board that it would be a good idea to get information on other flights on your own, just in case.

The first day of the NW strike, a NW plane landed here in Detroit with FOUR flat tires!! Luckily, no one was injured. They say it was not "strike-related". (If you believe that, I've got some ocean-front property in Kansas to sell you!)

I hope they settle this thing fast!!!

Have an alternative plan if you fly NWA in the next couple of weeks.

Have the phone number of other airlines programmed into your cell phone.

This way you can call and book when other passengers are lining up at the gate and getting the available seats.

Almost all other airlines will honor your NWA ticket or boarding pass. Probably the worst that will happen is a delay. So fly the day before the cruise (I always do that anyway).

radi. Where did you read about the pink slips. Nothing in the business/fiancial news suggesting that. This is not a good time for unfounded rumors. The workers sure had plenty of notice of the company's financail condition. Maybe a better idea is just to close the doors and everyone go home.

Perhaps what radi heard was that many mechanics were indeed laid off out of MSP just prior to the strike deadline. These layoffs were anticipated. Additionally, the second shift mechanics were sent home early on the evening of the strike so that there would be no cross-over of the union and replacement mechanics.

There certainly is a lot of misinformation out there. As the wife of a NWA mechanic my best advice is to anticipate delayed flights. Our local news did a sampling of flights over the weekend and approximately 40% were delayed by at least 1/2 hour. This is a much higher percentage than what the officials at NWA are saying. Now is not the time to try to fly in to your port city the morning of your cruise if you hold tickets on NWA.

My sympathies to you and your mechanic hubby regarding the strike. I know how difficult it is when a spouse in not working.

Re: Flying in on the day of the cruise. I asked my TA in July if it was possible to get in a day earlier. He never responded. (I knew the situation regarding negotiations then) I asked again more recently, and he said no, it is not possible. I called Norwegian and they promised to get us to the Vancouver BC pier by hook or by crook. They made the air arrangements. They said that a flight change can only be done by the TA. I have been writing desperate, and now demanding emails to my TA. If anything goes wrong, I will let you know the on-line travel company. Norwegian said it could be done, but only by a TA, and with a fee. I would have and still will gladly pay the fee, if only to avoid this aggravation.

Sheesh. What should I do??????

I saw this on the United Airlines website:

United travel options for Northwest ticket-holders

fff.giffff.gifUnited Airlines is ready to meet the needs of Northwest Airlines' ticketed passengers affected by the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association work action at Northwest Airlines. Northwest Airlines tickets will be honored on United Airlines, subject to availability in the passenger’s originally ticketed cabin. Passengers may contact Northwest Airlines or their ticketing agency to have their ticket reissued and a new reservation made with United Airlines.

To purchase a new ticket on United, please make a reservation online or call reservations at 1-800-United -1.

ktpc2005, thanks for the United tip. Unfortunately for us, the only return flight they have available leaves Seattle at 8:30 AM (way too early for our cruise). We arrive a day before our cruise so we can deal with a delay. Just hope they don't cancel any of our flights.

No pink slips were issued right before the strike. Not legal! As to the four flat tires in DTW, it was an anti skid problem and had absolutely nothing to do with the strike. Remember that the press dearly loves to pick up anything and sensationalize it. It's a great airline with a union on strike - nothing more!

Archived