Docking in Toulon and thinking of Cassis - best way to get there?

Kidsoftheseas

At our Toulon stop on the Norwegian Spirit in May, we are thinking about visiting Cassis. We are a group that includes grandparents and young kids (3 and 5) and would like to know what is the best way to get there given our situation.

I hear the trains go from Toulon to Cassis and take about 30 minutes. Would this be a good/easy option for us? Or should we do something else?

If we want to sail (maybe) in Cassis to see Calanques, should we pre-book with someone?

I'm trying to DIY most of my Mediterranean cruise, but Toulon and Ephesus were the two places I thought that that seemed impractical or too difficult.

There's two docks for Toulon and depending on where your boat docks, you might have to to take a taxi or ferry to get to train station. Then, you've got to wait for the train. For my cruise date, the ship docks at Toulon at 9 but there isn't a train from Toulon to Cassis till 10:44. And, when the train stops at Cassis, its still about 2 miles away from the harbour. There's a bus you could take after you get off the train, but its not synchronized with the train schedule.

I'm trying to DIY most of my Mediterranean cruise, but Toulon and Ephesus were the two places I thought that that seemed impractical or too difficult.

We did Hello Ephesus on our Sept 2011 cruise. There were only 8 of us in the van and our tour guide "Bill" did an amazing tour. Very informative. It was one of my favorite stops on that cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Ephesus is one of the BEST ports we've ever visited. Do be sure to take a private car/guide. They will get you there ahead of the buses and there is so much to see! We used Ephesus Deluxe and they were great. Esis was our guide and he did a great job. We told them we wanted to avoid the rug factories, etc. We had a fabulous, unforgettable day. Visit the House of Mary..well worth it!

• 3 weeks later...

It would be great to hear from those who have actually docked in Toulon and then taken the train to Cassis. Mainly, how easy or difficult was it to get from the Cassis train station into town?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
At our Toulon stop on the Norwegian Spirit in May, we are thinking about visiting Cassis. We are a group that includes grandparents and young kids (3 and 5) and would like to know what is the best way to get there given our situation.

I hear the trains go from Toulon to Cassis and take about 30 minutes. Would this be a good/easy option for us? Or should we do something else?

If we want to sail (maybe) in Cassis to see Calanques, should we pre-book with someone?

I have the same questions. I would like to go see the Calanques as well. It does seem to be difficult. I found a tour, but it is expensive.

I to, was thinking of DIY in Toulon and take the train to Cassis. It didn't seem to complicated to me, but the previous post about train schedules makes me think that maybe i should be reconsidering this one. I hope someone who as done it will comment to help us all. If one of you ends up trying it before July, please come back to tell us about it.

There's two docks for Toulon and depending on where your boat docks, you might have to to take a taxi or ferry to get to train station. Then, you've got to wait for the train. For my cruise date, the ship docks at Toulon at 9 but there isn't a train from Toulon to Cassis till 10:44. And, when the train stops at Cassis, its still about 2 miles away from the harbour. There's a bus you could take after you get off the train, but its not synchronized with the train schedule.

If you check this site xxxdotportsdotcruisettdotc o m it might help you guess witch dock you will get. It will tell you how many ships are docked in port the same day you are. I'm guessing that most would dock directly in town if there is no other ship or just one other.

Hope this helps some make a decision.

Some people on our cruise tried it and they said it was doable but not a good use of time if you want to go anywhere else. They took a taxi from the port to train station, then the train, then a taxi to the dock area in cassis to book a boat trip (not sure if you can pre-book). I think they said they ended up waiting for about 35 mins for a train on the way out and almost an hour on the way back. Adding that in to the actual travel time, taxi, etc, they ended up thinking the private tour we did was a better idea (we did Aix before Cassis) even with a screwup in Cassis (not us or the guides fault, we were on a tight schedule on a short port schedule and the combination of a slow waiter and a boat captain who would not leave until he was full regardless of schedule - so we never got to go on the boat :( )

Given the size of you party and the ages of the children, I would look into finding a private car service that would provide service both ways without a guide. I suspect by the time you factor in all the train fares and the taxis it may not be that much of a premium, especially when you think of things you may want to carry for the 3 year old.

BTW, if you are thinking of taking the regular boat tours offered in Cassis, you can only pre-book if you have 15 persons or more in your group. Otherwise, you just board a boat as you come. If you do the smaller tour (3 Calanques - 45min.), there is boats leaving every 30 minutes or so.

Private companies also offer tours but are much more expensive. But they can customize something for your group.

Archived