Just Back from Diamond Princess: Be Glad To Answer Any Questions???

Host Caroline

We had a great time on Diamond Princess.. no rain in two days pre-cruise in Seattle and only a little at sea twice... sunny and '70s in Juneau and Skagway and at the glaciers in Tracy Arm and cloudy and just cool in Ketchikan. The ship is always late to Juneau so don't book any private tours before 3-3:30 (Capt Larry won't book prior to then any more for this ship) and also to Victoria where most tours were cancelled but most also got off and took advantage of shuttle into this very picturesque town. Kayak tour was cancelled in Ketchikan due to windy conditions so we did tour with locals.. had our choice of about 20 right off the dock at 7:15 so this is a great option here. We went to salmon hatchery and Totem Heritage Center (admission to both is just $9). Rented car in Skagway and have many pics in bright sun in t-shirts.. beautiful drive, lots of scenic places to stop, take a short hike etc.

Since this is Alaska board won't go into details re ship here but feel free to ask!:)

Hello Host Caroline,

I had a question about baggage and embarkement in Seattle.

We have the option to take the princess transfers from the hotel to the ship, if so do we give them our bags at the hotel and then we don't see them until we are on the ship?

Or if we take a taxi from the hotel to the ship, do we need to drag our luggage on the embarkment line or can we give it to a porter and they bring it onto the ship?

I'm trying to make this as easy as possible for our group since we have a few elderly folks traveling with us and not enough free hands to drag all that luggage especially after reading the 2 hour wait in line stories to embark so I'm concerned.

Any info is appreciated - THANKS :)

If you take a taxi you will have to keep your luggage with you till you get to the part of the line that takes it and runs it through the security...so if you don;t wnt to handle it.,..take the transfer...

Since I don't know what hotel you are at I don't know what arrangements they have for shuttle. Comfort Suites has shuttle to pier for $6pp and they loaded luggage onto a truck and you next saw in stateroom (and early too!). It was very simple and way cheaper than Princess transfer.

:confused: Caroline - I need a definitive answer re: this shuttle question. Right now we have a pre cruise package at Seattle Westin and we are to be picked up at hotel at 11:55 am to go to ship. I am thinking this is a bit late and want to know: would you send your luggage w/shuttle and go to the ship via taxi earlier. Or take self and luggage in taxi early ??? gg

Caroline - We will be staying pre-cruise at the Comfort Inn Suites in August. Could you please tell me if attractions are within walking distance from hotel and also what time did the shuttle leave hotel for the pier to board Diamond Princess? Thank you

Re: Westin I have no idea how their shuttle etc. operates but IMHO the cab would the way to go unless they have the baggage check-in thing with their shuttle.. that saves you time and would be divine in the rain (which we didn't have)... your time for leaving is fine though...

Re: Comfort Suites.. Seattle Center (former World Fair site where Space Needle is) is walking distance to me and the Ride the Ducks leaves from near there which we loved.. You can take monorail downtown to Westlake Center from Seattle Center (about 1.50 pp) and then walk down the hill to Pike Market and waterfront. There's a trolley that runs along the waterfront that would take you to Pioneer Square area where Underground Tour is. The hotel has a shuttle that will take you to Pike Market and Pioneer Square area for free and pick you up but you have to arrange that ahead (when you check in, not before you get there).

Also sign up for shuttle to pier when you arrive.. there was one at 10:45 and one at 12:00 on June 4.. The shuttle was a bus and luggage went in the separate truck. Esp. if it had been raining that would have been wonderful just not to have stood in the rain at the dock to check luggage in! YOu could call ahead maybe Tuesday/Wednesday before you leave on cruise to reserve that shuttle if you aren't arriving till late in the week..

Archived