Review w/ pics Carnival Valor 03/17/13 - 03/24/13

Lyncoya

We also learned about how bananas are grown

1715_10200928602596872_1987913849_n.jpg

We made two more stops. One for cookies. Some sort of REALLY crunch coconut cookies that were AWESOME and warm bread (that looked like baseball bats) and cheese. This was delicious also.

Everytime I come to St Lucia, I'll do this tour. That's just how great it was. He provides a GREAT service.

Hello all. We just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Valor with the Southern Caribbean itinerary. This is the second time in two years that we've done this itinerary, so my review won't be too different than the one I did on the Victory. (that review is in my signature)

I won't be able to beat GAPearl's review, HAHA, but here is my take.

There was another couple who traveled with us. My good girlfriend and her husband. Our traveling buddies. This is the 4th cruise we've all taken together.

We are from Wisconsin and flew to San Juan the day of the cruise. Our flight left at 5:20 am, so we had to be at the airport at 3:30 am :eek:. The flights were very uneventful and we made it to San Juan at around 1:30. We hopped in a cab ($19 plus $1 per bag) and made it to the port in around 20 minutes.

The line to get into the terminal was RIDICULOUSLY long, so we dropped off our luggage with the porters and took a walk. We walked a few blocks until we came across a restaurant/bar that had drink specials. Two mojitos for $10 and 5 local beers for $6. You couldn't beat that with a stick so we went in and had a seat at the bar. 2 mojitos, two orders of hotwings and 5 beers later, we walked back to the terminal where the line had disappeared and we walked right on board. Here is my first picture I took of the ship...

559202_10200928580676324_442697497_n.jpg

We stopped at the liquor store inside the terminal. Each couple bought a bottle of wine and a liter of Cruzan Rum. We walked on board with BOTH bottles in the plastic bags that the liquor store bagged them in. Security didn't check the bags. They asked if the bottles were wine, we told them yes and they let us on. Easy!

We had a Scenic OV Room for the cruise, which I was very excited about. It was a surprise for my husband, but he wasn't too impressed. He's so dry sometimes. Here are a few pics of our room. Our cabin # was 9199 by the way. Please let me know if the pics are too large...

580192_10200928580956331_1456268030_n.jpg

261358_10200930760530819_1467961703_n.jpg

5431_10200928580436318_186212142_n.jpg

531507_10200930761490843_501021344_n.jpg

I absolutely LOVED the room. I kept the shade up constantly. It was nice going to sleep viewing the stars and the moon and it was even nicer waking up to views of the ocean or whatever beautiful port we arrived at that day. I would book this type of room again in a HEARTBEAT. I LOVED it.

Great review!!! Looking forward to the Valor in July

Thanks for your review! I'm booked in 9201, a Scenic Ocean View, in July. I can't wait to just sit for hours looking out at the water! Looking forward to reading your review!!!

I have 9201 booked also...

I am loving this review !

Thanks for the review! I can't wait to read more. Did y'all ever make it to the piano bar or club? If so, how was it? Also, I've been going back and forth over transportation once we get to San Juan. Carnival is $12 pp both ways which is $48 not including tips and the taxis in San Juan are $19 plus $1 per bag. I know I'll have 2 suitcases for sure but do you know if they charge for backpacks? Just based on having 2 suitcases I'm looking at $42 not including tips. They're really both about the same as far as price but I wouldn't have to wait for the Carnival bus to fill up which is a PITA. I love your cabin by the way. I have an aft wrap on the Valor in August and I cannot wait!

Edited by ShanteS

Thanks for the review! I can't wait to read more. Did y'all ever make it to the piano bar or club? If so, how was it? Also, I've been going back and forth over transportation once we get to San Juan. Carnival is $12 pp both ways which is $48 not including tips and the taxis in San Juan are $19 plus $1 per bag. I know I'll have 2 suitcases for sure but do you know if they charge for backpacks? Just based on having 2 suitcases I'm looking at $42 not including tips. They're really both about the same as far as price but I wouldn't have to wait for the Carnival bus to fill up which is a PITA. I love your cabin by the way. I have an aft wrap on the Valor in August and I cannot wait!

We didn't do the piano bar. We never do, so I can't comment on that. We normally stop in the club on cruises, but we didn't on this one. Sorry! The cruise is so port intensive that you really need a vacation from your vacation when you return home. It seemed like we were always on the go go go except the the one sea day.

We did walk past the club at night a few times, but it was DEAD. Maybe we didn't catch it on the right nights? The last cruise we took from Puerto Rico, the clubs were jumpin' though.

As far as the taxis go, if you keep your backpack on your back they won't charge you for it. If the prices are the same for a taxi and the Carnival Transport, I would MOST CERTAINLY take the Taxi. We've done Carnival's transport before and you're right, you have to wait for the buses to fill up which can be a PITA. The sooner you get to the ship, the better!!!

Have fun!!! :)

Thanks for the review, we are doing this cruise in October and I am reading everything I can get my hands on.

In St Lucia, I was considering a land and sea tour, but everyone raves about Cosol tours. Just wondering how long you actual spend in the van?

Thanks for the review, we are doing this cruise in October and I am reading everything I can get my hands on.

In St Lucia, I was considering a land and sea tour, but everyone raves about Cosol tours. Just wondering how long you actual spend in the van?

You do spend a considerable amount of time in the van. The roads are winding too. If you're prone to car sickness, you may want to reconsider. There ARE frequent stops though. To me...it's a great tour. Have fun, no matter what you decide. :)

Cannot wait to hear about St. Maarten...it's on my bucket list!!! :-)

St Maarten is BEAUTIFUL. I would love to spend a week there on a land vacation. sigh....one day!! :)

Following along =) were on board Sept 15-22 =)

Lucky...I've done this itinerary twice and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. The ports are great.

Enjoying your review. Did the same cruise on the Victory in '11 and it has been my favorite cruise to date. Loved Cosol's tours....especially the bread! YUM!

I did love my balcony though...don't think I could do a cruise w/o one.

I don't think I quite understand your math. To take a taxi in San Juan it would be $19 which would include up to 5 passengers and then it is $1 per bag. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is from the Puerto Rico tourism site. Edited to Add: Nevermind, I now see you are talking roundtrip. I have used Carnival transport in the past and agree that it's time consuming. Taxi's for me!

Edited by am+a