snorkeling in ft lauderdale?

firstalaskatrip

Tried posting on the snorkeling forum, but I haven't gotten any responses, so thought I'd see if I get any here. I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale in May. I'm wondering if anyone has gone snorkeling from the aquatic center of pier 66 (the place by the hyatt pier 66). If so, would you recommend them? Any other recommendations of snorkeling companies in ft. lauderdale? how is the snorkeling in the area?

Tried posting on the snorkeling forum, but I haven't gotten any responses, so thought I'd see if I get any here. I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale in May. I'm wondering if anyone has gone snorkeling from the aquatic center of pier 66 (the place by the hyatt pier 66). If so, would you recommend them? Any other recommendations of snorkeling companies in ft. lauderdale? how is the snorkeling in the area?

Fort Lauderdale is not known for its snorkeling, and there really is nothing in the water to see around Pier 66 (Intracoastal and New River). It is too dark and murky, although you may see some manatees.

However, if you were to go out about 1/2- 3/4 mile off of Fort Lauderdale Beach (north of Sunrise Blvd), there is a coral reef. Divers frequent the area, and I have also taken the paddle board out to the reef. It just happened to be very early morning and the conditions were perfect; flat ocean and crystal clear to the bottom.

Just realized I probably wasn't very clear with my question. Pier 66 has a boat trip for snorkeling, so I was curious about this or any other boat tours - presume they must head to some sort of reef. Now that you mention manatees though - is it still possible to see manatees in May or are they seen more frequently during the winter? Any places near ft. lauderdale with a high likelihood of seeing manatees?

Yes, then those boats from Pier 66 must go out to the reef as I had mentioned above.

It is likely to see manatees all year round, but from my experience, I have seen them mostly during the winter months. The last time I went paddle boarding (might have been November or December), we launched the boards at George English Park (across from the Galleria Mall). We saw 4 or 5 of them during our paddle along the Middle River.

There is a place right behind Pier 66 that rents paddle boards and kayaks (I can't remember the name). It is probably the same company that runs the boat trips, but I am not sure. The waterways behind the hotel would be an excellent place to look for manatees. Just be sure that if they do swim up to you, DO NOT touch them, as they are endangered and protected wildlife, and if you are caught touching them, the police will give stiff fines. Some people have even been arrested. They are truly amazing gentle giants!

If you ever make it to Crystal River, just north of Tampa, there are several places that run manatees snorkeling tours during the winter months.

brunello22 - thanks so much for your response! Kayaking and looking for manatees sounds like it would be really neat. I'm going mid-may - do you think that would still be a reasonable timeframe to be likely to see them or is that too late in the spring? I definitely wouldn't try to touch them, but I do appreciate the warning - I never fail to be surprised at how many people do try to touch wildlife.

Any other suggestions of things not to be missed? I'll probably have one full day or two half days free. If there is a way to see a manatee, that would be first on my list since I've never seen one and love animals. Would definitely be up for other suggestions though if I'm not in the right timeframe or for any additional free time.

Thanks so much!

Fort Lauderdale is not known for its snorkeling, and there really is nothing in the water to see around Pier 66 (Intracoastal and New River). It is too dark and murky, although you may see some manatees.

However, if you were to go out about 1/2- 3/4 mile off of Fort Lauderdale Beach (north of Sunrise Blvd), there is a coral reef. Divers frequent the area, and I have also taken the paddle board out to the reef. It just happened to be very early morning and the conditions were perfect; flat ocean and crystal clear to the bottom.

Shoredive.com mentions a reef off the pier in Lauderdale by the

Sea. Has anyone snorkeled here, weather permitting, on a calm day?

brunello22 - thanks so much for your response! Kayaking and looking for manatees sounds like it would be really neat. I'm going mid-may - do you think that would still be a reasonable timeframe to be likely to see them or is that too late in the spring? I definitely wouldn't try to touch them, but I do appreciate the warning - I never fail to be surprised at how many people do try to touch wildlife.

Any other suggestions of things not to be missed? I'll probably have one full day or two half days free. If there is a way to see a manatee, that would be first on my list since I've never seen one and love animals. Would definitely be up for other suggestions though if I'm not in the right timeframe or for any additional free time.

Thanks so much!

You are very welcome, it is my pleasure to offer suggestions to help make your vacation great!

You can still see manatees in May, and SUPng (Stand Up Paddleboarding) or kayaking is a great way to get up close. There are a number of paddleboard companies in Fort Lauderdale that offer tours along the canals and rivers (a guided tour is best since you are not familiar with the canal system). My preferred company is Precision Paddleboards, but there is also Gold Coast Aquatic and Sunrise Paddleboards. Depending on when in May you are here, these companies offer full-moon paddle tours. Very cool ...

I am not sure if you will have a car or not, but there is a company in Palm Beach County called South Florida Paddle, that offers Eco Tours (manatee tours) around Singer Island and Jupiter. It is about 1 hour north of Fort Lauderdale. (By the way, if you have never tried SUPng, don't worry, it is easy to learn, and it's a lot of fun).

Spending time in Fort Lauderdale ... Whether you have a car or not, I highly recommend taking the water taxi. This is the best way to see the highlights of the city from the inside out. Our waterways are beautiful! Keep an eye out for Living Social, Groupon, or Travelzoo deals, but I think it is $20 per person for all day, and after 5:00 pm, it is $10 per person. You can stay on the water taxi and not get off at any of the stops or get off whichever stop you like. ... and you just might spot a manatee along the way!

Shoredive.com mentions a reef off the pier in Lauderdale by the

Sea. Has anyone snorkeled here, weather permitting, on a calm day?

I took a paddleboard out to the reef about 1/2 - 3/4 mile off of Fort Lauderdale Beach (between Sunrise Blvd and Oakland Park Blvd), and about 1 mile south of Lauderdale by the Sea. It was about 8:00 am and it was like a lake, flat and calm, no wind. I wish I had my snorkel gear with me!

I looked at the site you mentioned and there are some rather positive comments about the LBTS site. I will have to check it out. But yes, snorkeling is best when the water is calm and it is not windy.

I have traveled to LBTS numerous times and always have snorkel gear with me. Not once has it been calm enough to snorkel out to the reef.

So true, that has been my experience as well. Would still like to hear back from those who have had the good fortune of calm waters.

Archived