Breakaway - CPAP Machine - Electrical Outlets near beds?

berbet

Probably not something anyone is going to know since she's not finished yet but do the balcony rooms have electrical outlets next to the beds? Family member has a CPAP machine that needs to be plugged in by the bed. Trying to figure out if we need to bring an extension cord and if so how long? First trip traveling with one. Anyone cruised with a CPAP before? Anything we need to know?

Probably not something anyone is going to know since she's not finished yet but do the balcony rooms have electrical outlets next to the beds? Family member has a CPAP machine that needs to be plugged in by the bed. Trying to figure out if we need to bring an extension cord and if so how long? First trip traveling with one. Anyone cruised with a CPAP before? Anything we need to know?

Unless you are on the 2-night or TA, I think you probably need to ask this again in a month.

Michael

The layouts are not yet known well enough to answer specifics. However, generally it is not a problem to support a CPAP or similar machine. Definitely bring an extension cord. It does not need to be a heavy weight cord, as long as no one uses it to run a hair dryer or iron - CPAP and phone chargers only :-) I normally bring a 12 foot cord that coils up to a small space. The extension cord, in addition to the CPAP power supply's cord, allows positioning of the machine well out of the way and generous routing of the cord to avoid being a trip hazard.

If you are flying, the CPAP bag counts as a medical device and may be carried onboard. Don't overdo loading up the bag with unrelated stuff, though.

I do recommend photocopying the prescription (and making sure it is current) and keep copies in the CPAP bag as well as in another piece of luggage in case the CPAP bag is somehow lost or damaged.

Serious question, does NCL not have a reading lamp or a clock near the bed? If not, I need to bring my booklight!

There have been lights by the bed on our cruises (we've been in balcony and mini-suite staterooms so far), with convenient switches to turn them on/off. A reading light would be a good idea for late-night reading on a balcony without turning on any big lights, though.

My husband and I both have CPAP'S. We sailed on the Jewel this past November. I brought two extension cords and a power strip. We had one CPAP on each side of the bed on the small bedside tables and ran the extension cords under the bed into the power strip and plugged that into the outlet near the dressing table. I know the layout for Breakaway may be different but we are planning on doing the same thing. We are sailing on the Breakaway in June and I plan on calling my PCC a week or so before just to make sure there are no surprises. If you use distilled water, like we do, you should bring your own, they do not supply it and it is not available at all on the ship. At least that;s what we were told.

My husband has used a CPAP machine for over a year. We took our first cruise with it on a 14 day Med on the Jade. We always take a 12 ft extension cord plus a power strip when we travel just in case but have never needed to use either. We've had it on a number of land trips as well with no problems anywhere. FYI, he notified NCL prior to the cruise that he needed distilled water for it, and there was a gallon waiting for us in the cabin. Imagine you will do fine on the Breakaway. Prior to the cruise, we did take a shakeout weekend trip by car just to see if there were any problems in travel and there weren't.

Thanks for your suggestions! I hadn't even thought about the distilled water. I don't want to carry a gallon on the plane. I'll have my TA call NCL -- that would be great if they could put one in my room. In a pinch we could use the CPAP without the humidifer but that's not ideal.

I am a Cpap user myself, I have a Resmed S9. I travel for business often.

I found it easier to purchase a rechargeable battery unit for my cpap unit.

You should look into that option for the particular unit you will bring on your trip.

I simply recharge it in the daytime, at night pop it in, mask up and that's it.

Safe travels

Hi, pull the bedside table await from the wall and you will find a wall socket just behind, that's where they are on the Jade suite. That's where I plugged in my CPAP. We also carry a lightweight cable for the hotels too.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As a CPAP user, I am very confused as why you wouldn't take an extension cord anytime you travel. Even if I am sure that I don't need it, an extension cord is always packed in my CPAP bag. The outlet by the bed may be inaccessible, it may not have any empty outlets, whatever. Always bring an extension cord.

Took one of her sister ships last year and there was no outlet near bed. Went to front desk and borrowed one it was quite a hassel. By all means take an extension cord.

Ask your room steward for distilled H2O he will get it for you if you feel necessary. Ship water is RO type with very little mineral content.

My husband and I both have CPAP'S. We sailed on the Jewel this past November. I brought two extension cords and a power strip. We had one CPAP on each side of the bed on the small bedside tables and ran the extension cords under the bed into the power strip and plugged that into the outlet near the dressing table. I know the layout for Breakaway may be different but we are planning on doing the same thing. We are sailing on the Breakaway in June and I plan on calling my PCC a week or so before just to make sure there are no surprises. If you use distilled water, like we do, you should bring your own, they do not supply it and it is not available at all on the ship. At least that;s what we were told.

My husband uses a C-pap and he called NCL they told him they will supply the water free of charge, it's British airways we are having trouble with not counting it as a carry on, they asked for our doctors number so they will call to verify

The tap water aboard is clean enough to use for a one week cruise without jamming up the CPAP machine. I can not say the same with the tap water from my home town. For a longer cruise one can always buy some distilled water at the first port of call, or before boarding the ship at its home port. Every drug store sells distilled water. Tap water aboard a ship is very similar to bottled water, drinking water.

The outlet is across the cabin, so bring an extension cord. Twelve feet is sufficient. Six feet may work, but will leave a cord to jump/step over. Which usually ends up pulling the CPAP machine off its table in the middle of the night when a person doesn't step high enough. Or during the middle of the day.

Edited by Don Haynes

My husband uses a C-pap and he called NCL they told him they will supply the water free of charge, it's British airways we are having trouble with not counting it as a carry on, they asked for our doctors number so they will call to verify

I called NCL twice regarding the water and they were clear it would not be available onboard, Fascinating, different answers same question. Instead of carrying the gallon onboard we purchased two long cylindrical water bottles that we filled and closed, they fit perfectly in my backpack and we had plenty of water for the week.

I called NCL twice regarding the water and they were clear it would not be available onboard, Fascinating, different answers same question. Instead of carrying the gallon onboard we purchased two long cylindrical water bottles that we filled and closed, they fit perfectly in my backpack and we had plenty of water for the week.

I also use a CPAP and NCL told me that I would have distilled water in my cabin. On the first day I went down to customer service because I did not have the water and they told me if I wanted it I had to take a container down everyday to have it filled. They could not provide it to me in my cabin. I also always bring an extension cord and will bring a electrical converter for the hotel in England. I called Aer Lingus and there is no problem bringing it as carryon and it is being counted as a medical device.

I found this link

http://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

called the number and was assured that a gallon of distilled water would be placed in my stateroom for my Cpap. (The NCL TA said that Distilled water is not available). Also I carry an extension cord as well as a three prong adapter and a three outlet into one plug that can rotate 180 degrees. Also pack a plug adapter for the euro outlet that is 220. My cpap machine can run off either outlet but I need to have the adapter to plug it into the euro outlet. Some ships outlets are recessed. If there is an outlet near the bed then I can plug the three outlet plug into it and then plug the lamp and cpap into that. Or I can use the extension cord to plug into the bedside plug and then plug stuff into that. Anyway If I have to run the extension cord from across the room it is long enough to lie flat on the floor and during the day it is unplugged and goes under the bed.

• 1 year later...

I had never had an issue with traveling with a CPAP until the Breakaway. I was in a standard balcony and discovered there are no outlets on the wall adjoining the headboard.

Guest Services does provide extension cords, but I needed two in order to lay things out in a non-trip hazard way. I know now to bring one.

I will be going again in June in an S6 cabin. Does anyone know if there are outlets in the bedroom there? Or will I have to extend multiple cords from the living room area?

Have traveled often with CPAP for a few years.

1 - Assume the plug will not be where it is supposed to be. Asking and getting an answer is not wise. You should always travel with an extension cord. It can be small because it draws so little power.

2 - You do NOT need distilled water. Strongly suggested (required?) to keep mineral deposits low. The water the ship is after all - somewhat distilled in the first place. Water for drinking goes through additional filters, so you can get some at the buffet.

Bring your own extension cord just to be safe. Sometimes your steward can get one, but it is not a guarantee.

Extension cords and power strips are a must for anyone traveling these days. not only are they needed for CPAP machines, but also for charging phones, tablets, laptops or even just an MP3 player.

My wife uses a CPAP and we always carry at least one extension cord and a power strip, so she can read on her iPad or whatever. With the more recent ships (from the Epic forward, I think), there is a free app that works on free wifi for booking restaurants and shows and, for a small fee, on-ship texting, so it's necessary to keep your phone or iPod touch charged.

• 1 year later...

i will be an cruise newbie in august- i will be traveling with a cpap machine and i aware to bring an extension cord- however- i am not sure-are the electrical outlets on the breakaway accept 2 or 3 prong cords

I have cruised on many different ships with my cpap. I decided to purchased a 220 euro power strip, with USA plug adapters for items that can take either 220 or 110. Phone, laptop, tablets all have transformers. Gives me lots of options. I also bring a USA power cord along with

two extension cords. One in my cpap case, and one in my backpack which I carry on the ship. Some cruise lines will take power strips and cords away. On the Dawn, Sun, and Epic, I was able to unplug the side bed lamp, plug in the euro strip, and keep under the bed. I did have to run my extension cord from the desk area on a Carnival Ship. Best to prepared. Just ask the information desk about the distilled water but I always just use the sink water. Never had a problem.