Cruise+DIY land tour itinerary: Comments pls

snofy

Actually, it's a short walk to get on the black ice. There will be a picnic table, where you need to apply the crampons. It is definitely farther to get to the "ice" experience people think about.

I see a big problem with them considering hopping on and off the shuttle buses. They will have to carry the car seat, and 5 seats- in peak season, when they are going, are not going to be easy to get. Add areas of bug "flair ups", and it may not be a doable option.

They just about have to get off a bus, with a melt down and intolerant passengers. No way to know, who will be on the bus. :)

I have personally been on a bus, with a clueless parent allowing a toddler tantrum. It went on with the parents doing nothing. There was an irate passenger who, did kind of tell them off, but- it was the bus driver who "solved" the issue. The bus pulled over- turned around- and so did everyone on the bus- and said, you need to get off the bus, your child is saying so (or similar). People were clapping as the bus pulled away.

Thanks a lot for your comments, really appreciate it. I think we'll rule out Matanuska this time, maybe wait till my daughter is older. Right now my plan is to go on the Major Marine Glacier Tour after disembarkation and do the scenic tours along the highway on the last 2 days with an overnight in Seward since we are no longer going to Matanuska.

I understand your point about the Denali shuttle so we'll observe to see whether she can handle it but at least we'll get the tickets first. My daughter doesn't really do that kind on tantrum-throwing and she has gone through plenty of road trips and hours-long international flights so hopefully we'll still get to go. If we really need to get off, my mom and sis will still continue the ride so we'll need 3 instead of 5 empty seats to return to the visitor center.

As for the excursions, I did check with my mom and she does want to do more because she's not sure whether she'll be back to Alaska again. So I'm thinking maybe whale watching with Orca Enterprise? I think it's better for us to be on the bigger boat and that way, we also don't need to do the exclusive tour.

If we want to do just one flight excursion, which one would you recommend?

I forgot to mention that when you leave the Mendenhall area, turn right and continue until you see a small sign indicating the University of Alaska. Go in there and you will see a small, log chapel (there's now a big church by it). It's really a lovely tourist stop. Go inside and you will see a GORGEOUS VIEW of the lake and mountains. It's just a stop I enjoy.

It's a training place for people looking toward a career in animal life; last year they had two baby walruses that had been rescued. By baby, I mean they were over 200 lbs!! We saw them on TV when they had healed and were headed to two separate zoos in the Lower 48, that wanted them.

They have touching pools for kids as well.................and activity boards, etc. ..................even a "boat" they can do things on.

HAVE A GRAND TIME!!

Thanks KAYEF, that's a lot of helpful information! I'll definitely pack some snacks, especially my daughter's favorites. I've thought about eating lunch at the restaurants along the way but now that you mentioned how bad it is, we might have to get something else instead. I've read about not bringing food from the ship but we'll still bring water and coffee maybe, unless there's a Starbucks or McDonald's around.

I'm looking forward to Exit Glacier and Sealife Center! Now that we're no longer going to Matanuska Glacier, we'll have time to spend a night at Seward :)

Thanks for the description of the shrine at Juneau, now that really sounds like something my daughter will enjoy! We'll check out the state museum and the red dog saloon and maybe the tram too if it's a clear day.

I forgot to mention that when you leave the Mendenhall area, turn right and continue until you see a small sign indicating the University of Alaska. Go in there and you will see a small, log chapel (there's now a big church by it). It's really a lovely tourist stop. Go inside and you will see a GORGEOUS VIEW of the lake and mountains. It's just a stop I enjoy.

We do plan to drive to Emerald Lake too but I've read that it's better to drive out as soon as possible to beat the tour buses. Where did u get the snack/lunch? Are there a lot of mosquitoes at the lake?

I took those little "boxes" that have a small can of either tuna or chicken salad and some crackers in them for a snack. On the west coast they're a Bumble Bee product. There's way more of the protein so I took extra crackers. It goes a long way. I like to pack that sort of thing for day trips cuz I don't want to waste time in a restaurant. AND, it leaves room for souvenirs on the way home. You can take a small folding "cooler bag" if you want drinks and stop at the ONLY grocery store in Skagway before heading north. They may have sandwiches for sale............not sure.

Last year we rented a Green Jeep and that was fun. He recommended we buy sandwiches at the place where the Tour Buses stop for lunch. Yes, they DID have sandwiches............maybe two ounces of meat on thin white bread with mayo. That was IT. So glad I had those little boxes. I usually take some dried fruit as well.

We did get ice cream cones there............and, there's another place on the right side of the hiway when you're heading back to Skagway that has ice cream BUT, if the tour buses are there it's a LONG line.

I've never experienced mosquitos at the lake............maybe too much breeze; I don't know.

You are cautioned to not take food from the ship. We never do but I see some people with fruit and cookies from the ship.

Besides these snacks, I pack a couple of empty water bottles (again, room for things I buy)..........we fill them in the buffet and avoid buying bottles of water the ship sells at each port.

We're really keen on doing the Kenai Fjord tour at Seward but I've read that it's really rough and many ppl got seasick. Don't think we'll be doing that especially with my 3 year old around. How long did u spend at the Sealife Center? Can u recommend a hiking trail at Exit Glacier? How far is it to walk to the face of it?

Exit Glacier even has a little place to go inside now; it's a National Park Service site (bathrooms) and they sell books and postcards of the area.

The "trail" starts out as pavement...............goes a long way like that. The Park Service employees give talks and guided walks several times a day. I don't know about the walk to the face now; it has receeded a great deal and last year I was unable to hike, so I waited for friends. It's not like an hour...............short.

I've not had rough times on the boat rides, but then if it's raining and rough I don't go.............hard to plan.

Little kids love many things about the Aquarium. For one, you can view many things from the top and then go down a floor and watch them "face to face." (Big sea lions, etc.)

I LOVE going outside on the first floor and watching the MANY kinds of birds (puffins :-) ) and then going downstairs and watching them as they dive. It's fascinating to see the air pocket surrounding them as they dive. Kids like that view, too.

It's a training place for people looking toward a career in animal life; last year they had two baby walruses that had been rescued. By baby, I mean they were over 200 lbs!! We saw them on TV when they had healed and were headed to two separate zoos in the Lower 48, that wanted them.

They have touching pools for kids as well.................and activity boards, etc. ..................even a "boat" they can do things on.

HAVE A GRAND TIME!!

You are referring to Chapel on the Lake at Alaska U, well worth a short stop. The "crowds" on the Klondike Highway only impact the meals at Caribou Crossing, and also a cart ride. But if you head right to sign up, the wait can be occupied easily here. The signs are popular for photos, but easy to get there by yourself. Otherwise, there is no mad dash needed to be ahead. Mosquitos are not a significant issue.

Exit Glacier has had their "inside" visitor center for a few years. You can not walk to the face, only a sharp side view from the lower level, up/down the stairs, you have a more expansive glacier view, but Exit has receeded significantly.

Kenai Fjords is all about PREVENTION. There are many successful remedies. A health care professional is best consulted for the best individual advice. Taking a test run doesn't hurt either. :) (have someone reading in the back seat along a curvy road)

Kenai Fjords is all about PREVENTION. There are many successful remedies. A health care professional is best consulted for the best individual advice. Taking a test run doesn't hurt either. :) (have someone reading in the back seat along a curvy road)

I thought we'll just take Bonine or can I get something better/stronger if I go to my family doctor?

I've just noticed that Major Marine has a 5-hour Kenai Fjords half-day wildlife tour and the description says "Great for kids". Since I'll have my 3-year-old with me, will this be a good choice or should I stick to the PWS glacier tour?

Archived